• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the issue is worse when, as someone else mentioned, broken age is just now seeing release on Sony platforms for the first time this week and so many people have held off from playing the game on other platforms for want of a complete experience.

yeah, the "it's been out for 1 year" thing isn't sound reasoning given that context.

Xater

Sometimes, like with the Matt Damon thing, it's hard to skip it because you don't even know it's coming. They just blurt it out with no warning.

I'm sure the Matt Damon spoiler isn't a big deal at all. I'm pretty unaware of things so I'm not surprised I went this long since that movie's been out, and not already known about it.

If it was a big deal you'd probably have heard about it. That it's this particular actor kinda has no bearing on anything.

I didn't mean the muddle up the conversation with stupid Matt Damon stuff. I do agree that the Broken Age spoiler is much worse, it's just that I have no plans to play that game so I didn't care. But if I was planning to play it, I would have waited for the whole thing on PS4, and I'd be pretty annoyed. Especially with Alex's attitude about it.

If it was a big deal you'd probably have heard about it. That it's this particular actor kinda has no bearing on anything.

exactly. once we see him, the movie takes a turn
(for the worse imo)
, but that it's HIM doesn't actually mean all that much.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I think the issue is worse when, as someone else mentioned, broken age is just now seeing release on Sony platforms for the first time this week and so many people have held off from playing the game on other platforms for want of a complete experience.

yeah, the "it's been out for 1 year" thing isn't sound reasoning given that context.

I haven't listened yet. Does the discussion necessitate revealing the details of the spoiler or could they have talked around it?

Brad can defend himself, but I don't think he enjoys ruining things for anyone. He just gets genuinely excited talking about major or interesting moments in games, new and old.

That said, given that others have pointed out that there were plenty of platforms where you couldn't play the game until this week, he shouldn't have spoiled it at all, even with a warning.

Xater

exactly. once we see him, the movie takes a turn
(for the worse imo)
, but that it's HIM doesn't actually mean all that much.

it could have been any famous actor. It was more a moment of "Oh cool another decent actor is in this I didn't know about. Neat."

Also I feel like the farther removed I am from my first viewing of Interstellar the more disappointed i am with it.

I haven't listened yet. Does the discussion necessitate revealing the details of the spoiler or could they have talked around it?

he wanted badly to mention a scene in Act 1 that he really, really liked, no one egged him on to do so, so you think he isn't going to do so and then theres a swerve and he totally goes all in and spoils it and declares it to be an amazing scene when you see it and then you cry and rip your Brad poster off of your wall, crumble it, and throw it out into the rain.

there is literally no reason for Brad to have spoiled that scene other than the fact he wanted to say he thought it was cool.

I haven't played the game so I can't vouch for how important it is or isn't.

LiK

that's the problem with people who play games earlier than the masses. you sorta think everyone is on the same page when discussing something. but there needs to be self control for a game that comes out on the same day as your podcast.

ike the farther removed I am from my first viewing of Interstellar the more disappointed i am with it.

Same. Though I think the first "act,"
before they leave earth
is really solid.

I think most Nolan movies tend to fall apart once you've put some distance between yourself and your viewing of them. He's real good at captivating you while you're in front of the screen though.

Yeah it can be annoying when Brad spoils stuff but I do know that at least its just usually because he is excited to discuss something and I cant fault him for that.

it could have been any famous actor. It was more a moment of "Oh cool another decent actor is in this I didn't know about. Neat."

Also I feel like the farther removed I am from my first viewing of Interstellar the more disappointed i am with it.

I thought it should have ended about 20 minutes earlier and the music balance could have been the same it was for the launch sequence through the whole movie and I probably would have liked it more. After subsequent viewings I just think this more. I feel like the dialogue and most of the story are mostly pointless to following along with that movie. Might as well make the sound louder and harder to follow so it focuses more on the cinematography and emotion, at least then it may have been more open to interpretation than some forced down your throat story about love.

Maybe I'm just viewing it differently though.

LeBart

I'm probably in the minority but I don't even think they should spoil old games or movies without warning. Thousands of people listen to this show, it's unreasonable to expect everyone to have played and seen everything.
When it's as easy as saying the words "spoiler warning for X", I see no reason to ever spoil anything at all really.

Patryn

Speaking of Comic Vine, I found it weird that Sara Lima decided to completely vanish from the internet. It seems she deleted all social media accounts a while back

I wonder was she getting harassed by some idiots, or maybe it was just a personal decision to start her life anew.

Sara getting annoyed at the GB guys during loud mailbag videos was pretty great!

Honestly, I don't blame her. I always felt kind of slimy when people would spam that one picture every time she showed up on screen.

Myggen

Vinny mentioned "the Burger King Super Cup" on the podcast. I'm trying to name a Bombcast clip, but can't figure out if it's written like that because I just get random German search results by typing that into Google. Any Ameicans able to help? Is it spelled like that?

before they leave earth
is really solid.

I think most Nolan movies tend to fall apart once you've put some distance between yourself and your viewing of them. He's real good at captivating you while you're in front of the screen though.

I think Inception totally holds up. Nolan films tend to be the sort where you really have to buy into the internal logic on the world, and I think it's easier to do that with Inception than Interstellar. I enjoyed both, but I understand people's disappointment with the latter. I recently re-watched the Dark Knight series as well, and was surprised to find I didn't enjoy them as much as I did the first time.

Xater

before they leave earth
is really solid.

I'm a big Nolan film and enjoyed all of his films more than Interstellar. It was the first time I felt let down. In fact I have watched some at least 5 times and still love them (The Dark Knight, Inception and Memento) Interstellar would have been better if it went complete 2001 and didn't try to make it's bullshit make sense.

Honestly, I don't blame her. I always felt kind of slimy when people would spam that one picture every time she showed up on screen.

creeps be creeping. When mary starting appearing on GB related videos this thread had a bunch of waifu and other objectifying comments regarding her. Some folks are so damn thirsty they can't be civil about it.

Vinny mentioned "the Burger King Super Cup" on the podcast. I'm trying to name a Bombcast clip, but can't figure out if it's written like that because I just get random German search results by typing that into Google. Any Ameicans able to help? Is it spelled like that?

what was the context? I might be able to sweep the cobwebs out of my brain to remember some dumb old promotion

before they leave earth
is really solid.

The prestige remains great no matter what.

Main reason I was let down with Interstellar was because I only ever watched that first teaser/trailer with the launch stuff and I was wanting more of the feel of that teaser. I watch something like Under the Skin and think Interstellar would have probably worked better for me if the story was treated more like that movie. I think a whole lot less would have been a whole lot better. I don't think all his movies or anything else would really work that way, but Interstellar really felt like it could have worked on a more minimalist level.

Xater

Oh and in regards to Sara, I have no doubt she got rid of her social media because of creeps. I always just liked her comic news videos, she was funny on the podcast and pretty good at interviews. Her being annoyed during GB videos was a nice bonus.

it's also one of his least "immediately flashy" movies. Prestige is fantastic.

except for that unbearably long exposition dump at the end. the need to over-explain the film feels like Nolan didn't have any confidence that his audience could think for themselves and suss out most of what happened.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The prestige is great

You could say it's pretty Hunky Dory

Definitely not a Low point in Nolan's career

It's better than the Space Oddity that is Interstellar

Young Americans might not get these sick references.

So what do people think are the odds that the new hire is announced today?

50:50?
40:60?

I thought it was looking down until the podcast and Vinny mentioned getting the podcast up and going within a month or so. That made me think it was a little more likely to happen with them talking about wanting to wait til the new higher and stuff more up and running.

LiK

I might be the only one here who doesn't care who they hire. I just hope they hire someone who can help them finally get a GBeast podcast going asap.

tuxfool

Banned
It's more just how Konami was pretty much the best (or at the very least one of the best) at what they did in the 90s, and now they're poised to exit it altogether.

That, and we're still criminally short on reasons to own these new consoles.

I don't own one. I borrow one from time to time. I'm plenty happy just a PC atm.

Honestly, Konami going is no different than all the others falling by the wayside: Capcom, SE (japan, but they seem to be trying at least), THQ, Atari. What is different is that the others didn't die without a fight, Konami seems to have gone crazy and setting fire to its properties.

So what do people think are the odds that the new hire is announced today?

50:50?
40:60?

going all in. Vinny mentioned a podcast within a month and we know that they weren't about a 2 person podcast because if they were, they would've done them by now.

So, it's within reason that A) they'll announce the new hire as part of B) the announcement of new premium features coming out of the east coast and C) a new bombcast coming from the beast coast. Like i said yesterday, the real purpose behind the BLLSL is to sell premium memberships, it makes sense to make major announcements like this to push people to come onboard and to keep folks who have a membership from wanting to cancel.

Patryn

give it up man

Honestly, I'm not really invested in all that. She'd be a good hire, though.

I was just looking at her Twitter feed to see if she was in SF.

I honestly do think the new hire gets announced today.

If it's not today, I don't see it being announced until June. You guys don't want me hunting down all the posts calling me nuts when I predicted way back in December that the the hire wouldn't happen until June.

Xater

There's no chance imo.

That's what I meant by way lower. :p

I might be the only one here who doesn't care who they hire. I just hope they hire someone who can help them finally get a GBeast podcast going asap.

I just want another new person East to mix things up. So knowing who that is and when he/she starts wold be cool. It's not happening now though.

Bacon

There's no chance imo.

going all in. Vinny mentioned a podcast within a month and we know that they weren't about a 2 person podcast because if they were, they would've done them by now.

So, it's within reason that A) they'll announce the new hire as part of B) the announcement of new premium features coming out of the east coast and C) a new bombcast coming from the beast coast. Like i said yesterday, the real purpose behind the BLLSL is to sell premium memberships, it makes sense to make major announcements like this to push people to come onboard and to keep folks who have a membership from wanting to cancel.

Looks like we've got an avatar bet brewing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom