• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Holy shit, Glover seems amazing, how have I never played this!?

Glover is definitely in the upper tier of 3rd party 3D platformers on the N64, but that is a lonely, flawed tier. It's pretty much Glover hanging with Bomberman 3D and Chameleon Twist all being janky but loveable together.

justjim89

I'm still really miffed The New Order got bumped in favor of fucking Destiny in the Top 10 last year. Everything about that game was great. Just started The Old Blood and yeah the early stealth section really shouldn't be a problem for anyone with half an ounce of patience.

Still looking forward to a QL for it.

Fox318

drew just needs a good setup like this

gBwfLQ3.jpg

Lijik

It's not nearly as good as it seems, as someone who rented the game rather often from Blockbuster. It's ok.

yeah i remember it being a little eh last time i tried playing it
granted that could be because i somehow got the game to freeze right before i finished a level and wasnt in the mood to go back and do it again. it looked a lot more fun watching drew play it

Nero18

I'm still really miffed The New Order got bumped in favor of fucking Destiny in the Top 10 last year. Everything about that game was great. Just started The Old Blood and yeah the early stealth section really shouldn't be a problem for anyone with half an ounce of patience.

Still looking forward to a QL for it.

Don't remember how the actual conversation went but I bet thats one of those games everybody liked but nobody loved enough to fight for.

Don't remember how the actual conversation went but I bet thats one of those games everybody liked but nobody loved enough to fight for.

It was more that Brad really liked Destiny and Jeff eventually came around to its being on there as some sort of self-flagellatory gesture about how bad 2014 was for video games.

The game has no stealth sections except for one at the very beginning, which is very simple with enemies on rails. Everything else can be played Rambo style if you want to.
You don't even need to be super stealthy at the start, once you've killed one of the enemies you just pick up his gun and start shooting.

Was Drew not part of the discussions at all? It was his game of the year.

I don't think that he really spoke up in favour of it over Destiny.

I'm just reminded of how bad Patrick was at the Evil Within and how in his review he called the game unfair because he doesn't seem to understand basic mechanics. Coupled with complaints about the incredibly simple stealth sequence in the Old Blood it's no real surprise how that turned out.

It's just frustrating how people have no desire to actually be challenged these days. Any game where you have to pay attention is broken.

I'm just salty about old nonsense :p

I feel like at this point the Souls games are a unique thing though. They've become enough of a critical darling that people actually give them a chance and time to grow on them where most other games with complex mechanics or a generally unforgiving nature still get ignored. The gaming press seems to be a very insular community, I'm reminded of Brad saying he refuses to play Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword because other gaming people he knows didn't think they were great(of course, these are the same people who gave the games 10s probably)

Zaph

It's just frustrating how people have no desire to actually be challenged these days. Any game where you have to pay attention is broken.

One man's challenge is another's tedium - it's been like that since forever and there'll never be an objective consensus.

One man's challenge is another's tedium - it's been like that since forever and there'll never be an objective consensus.
I find that generally when people complain about something being unfair there's usually a lack of understanding of the mechanics at hand. Ie God Hand or the Wonderful 101, you might not find them fun but they're certainly not unfair. Think unfair has just become one of those words like pretentious that gets used when it's not really relevant.

Dave leaving is the worst thing to happen to the site. There's a complete lack of interest in exclusive PC games that used to be such a fun part of the site. I really hope the new hire isn't another person that grew up only on consoles.

daydream

Banned
Dave leaving was one of the worst things to happen to the site. There's a complete lack of interest in exclusive PC games that used to be such a fun part of the site. I really hope the new hire isn't another person that grew up only on consoles.

Dave QLs were rather infrequent. Beast is doing tons of PC only coverage, Rorie has covered some stuff. Got any examples for games you felt didn't get the coverage they deserved?

Dave QLs were rather infrequent. Beast is doing tons of PC only coverage, Rorie has covered some stuff. Got any examples for games you felt didn't get the coverage they deserved?
Every Crpg gets a 30 minute quick look where Rorie says he'll play the game until the next quick look where Rorie says he dropped the last game but will play more of this one. Dave wasn't really a full time on camera member in the same way Jeff is but when he did show up he brought a unique perspective to the site and the types of games he's interested in. Random pc game was easily the site's best feature but a lot of that was the dynamic between Vinny and Dave.

Xater

All that needs to happen is for the Old Games Show to also play some PC games. Damn it Jeff break out that Falcon 4.0 copy.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Rorie has straight up said 'I don't like old games because I can play new stuff instead,' so he's nowhere close to a Dave for PC games.

daydream

Banned
Every Crpg gets a 30 minute quick look where Rorie says he'll play the game until the next quick look where Rorie says he dropped the last game but will play more of this one. Dave wasn't really a full time on camera member in the same way Jeff is but when he did show up he brought a unique perspective to the site and the types of games he's interested in. Random pc game was easily the site's best feature but a lot of that was the dynamic between Vinny and Dave.

I mean, we all miss Dave, for sure. Random PC game was awesome and I would like to see it return. It's not like they can just summon him back, though (although who knows what's possible with their streaming setup?).

Anyway, I just disagree that they've been dropping the ball on PC QLs. Try games on Nintendo platforms and I'd be with you 100%.

I think you're going to have a hard time convincing anybody that Dave leaving the site was a worse thing than Ryan passing.
Ryan's death obviously had a major impact on the site and is heartbreaking. Figured that was just an obvious thing.
I mean, we all miss Dave, for sure. Random PC game was awesome and I would like to see it return. It's not like they can just summon him back, though (although who knows what's possible with their streaming setup?).

Anyway, I just disagree that they've been dropping the ball on PC QLs. Try games on Nintendo platforms and I'd be with you 100%.
Of course, he has his own life and such. I just think it had a major effect on the scale of what the site covers. Sure they talk about games like Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland, but no one actually cares about them if you know what I mean. Dave brought a lot of passion and knowledge to genres no one else one the crew cared about.

At the very least Dan's interest in most Nintendo franchises has helped with that.

daydream

Banned
Of course, he has his own life and such. I just think it had a major effect on the scale of what the site covers. Sure they talk about games like Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland, but no one actually cares about them if you know what I mean. Dave brought a lot of passion and knowledge to genres no one else one the crew cared about.

At the very least Dan's interest in most Nintendo franchises has helped with that.

Sure, I get ya. There's only one Hardcore Dave out there, unfortunately.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Was Drew not part of the discussions at all? It was his game of the year.
The problem was that their personal Top 10 lists were made much later, about two weeks or so. He probably didn't know that it would be his #1 during the podcast recordings.

Patryn

Dave leaving is the worst thing to happen to the site. There's a complete lack of interest in exclusive PC games that used to be such a fun part of the site. I really hope the new hire isn't another person that grew up only on consoles.

... have you watched any GBEast QL?

Those are all pretty much exclusive PC games.

... not that they're GOOD, but...

What PC RPG ever got extensive coverage on GB?

Dude, you're just pining for the 'good ol' days.'

What game that's been on PC haven't they covered well to you? Names specifically.
They cover all of the big exclusives but it's clear when you watch the RPG quick looks that the level of interest is very low. Which is fine as we all have our own tastes but my point is Dave really expanded the breadth of the site.

No one on the site will even remember Pillars of Eternity exists by the end of the year. Did Divinity get brought up once past the quick look last year?

Xater

They cover all of the big exclusives but it's clear when you watch the RPG quick looks that the level of interest is very low. Which is fine as we all have our own tastes but my point is Dave really expanded the breadth of the site.

No one on the site will even remember Pillars of Eternity exists by the end of the year. Did Divinity get brought up once past the quick look last year?

Sure did by Patrick during the GOTY discussion.

Sure did by Patrick during the GOTY discussion.
And guess who no longer works for the site :p I was never a huge fan of Patrick but at the very least he often went outside his comfort zone and tried new things when no one else did.

Edit: To clarify I mean a fan of him on-camera or his writing, I'm sure he's a decent person.

Xater

And guess who no longer works for the site :p I was never a huge fan of Patrick but at the very least he often went outside his comfort zone and tried new things when no one else did.

And that's exactly why I miss him. I liked what Patrick did for the site. Dan is cool, but very set in his ways.

fuzzyset

Edit: To clarify I mean a fan of him on-camera or his writing, I'm sure he's a decent person.

Brad played it enough to claim that he liked it, but not enough to solidly defend it for being on GOTY.

What PC RPG ever got extensive coverage on GB?

Dragon Age Origins got a full video review by Snide. And 2 QLs I believe. edit: Snide did everything PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom