• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero18

Its funny, I'm of the total opposite opinion. Feel like they are cranking out way too many quick looks of shitty PC games. Liked how Patrick would just completely dedicate himself to some games, even though those segments ran out of steam really quickly for the viewer depending on interest for the actual game.

Curufinwe

Yeah, Old Games Show needs more voxels too. Where's my Delta Force at?

Needs more Danny and Amiga games. Or Jonah Lomu Rugby on the PS1.

Jonah-Lomu-Rugby.jpg

The shitty PC games they quick look aren't really something that could only be done on the platform, it's just a lot easier to put things out on a system with no walled garden. They do most of those because people enjoy watching people play terrible games.

I guess PC rpgs would have been the better thing to say but even then Dave was still on Paradox quick looks and other PC specific stuff.

Patryn

The shitty PC games they quick look aren't really something that could only be done on the platform, it's just a lot easier to put things out on a system with no walled garden. They do most of those because people enjoy watching people play terrible games.

I guess PC rpgs would have been the better thing to say but even then Dave was still on Paradox quick looks and other PC specific stuff.

I'm still not sure what these mythical PC RPGs QLs were.

I remember Dave doing the Dragon Age: Origins one, and they did Baldur's Gate 2 as a Random PC Game, but other than that I'm really drawing a blank.

Giant Bomb has never been the site for deep coverage of classic RPGs is what I'm trying to get at.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is there a good website for downloading trailers? I never really realised that most websites don't give you the option (or at least the ones I frequent)

PC Crpgs have only really come back in the time since Dave has left. They popped up here and there, but it's really a genre that kickstarter has had a huge hand in bringing back.

If nothing else Dave just brought a unique perspective to the site in the same way that Jeff does with all of his knowledge of systems like the TG. Dave was behind the scenes but he still showed up in content a lot. Just like how Dan manages to work wrestling into every fucking video Dave's interests in rpgs soaked into a lot of the content he was in.

Myggen

Giant Bomb has never been the site for deep coverage of classic RPGs is what I'm trying to get at.

Totally. Sure Dave did some QLs of RPGs if he was playing that game at the time, but by no means did they even cover all those kind of games back then. What's missing without Dave is Random PC Game, and they didn't really do many of those the last year he was there and there's no reason Alex and Vinny can't do something like that if they want to (the best Random PC Game features was of games neither Dave or Vinny had played, or if they had they at least didn't remember much of the game).

And of course PoE won't be remembered much come GOTY time, but it wouldn't have been remembered if Dave was on staff either.

Is Vinnyvania actually coming back or was the segment on the Big Show just a tease? Vinny made the joke about it being an early morning weekday cartoon and Jeff said to not make promises.

Fantastapotamus

Which is almost weird, cause they always had people.
Dave was into them, Vinny likes them and Rorie actually worked on them (well, on RPGs...kinda)

Myggen

Which is almost weird, cause they always had people.
Dave was into them, Vinny likes them and Rorie actually worked on them (well, on RPGs...kinda)

If what you want is deep, continuous coverage of a RPG, neither Rorie nor Dave were ever employees of GB. Or editors. So that limits their time doing actual content severely. Vinny has never played CRPGs much, which I'm guessing is what people are referring to here.

My favourite genre is probably CRPG, but it's been years since I accepted that we'll probably never get much coverage of those games here. We never did when Dave was working on the site either. And frankly I don't care much, the CRPG genre doesn't lend itself that well to entertaining coverage; the BG2 Random PC Game was by far the worst Random PC Game they did.

Apparently Glover didn't get great reviews but from that spot they did it's one of the few N64 games that actually holds up to my memories. Game is neat.

Rorie doesn't seem to know where he is half the time so it's not surprising most crpgs don't hold his attention.

Patryn

My favourite genre is probably CRPG, but it's year since I accepted that we'll probably never get much coverage of those games here. We never did when Dave was working on the site either. And frankly I don't care much, the CRPG genre doesn't lend itself that well to entertaining coverage; the BG2 Random PC Game was by far the worst Random PC Game they did.

I was going to make a similar post. I really like CRPGs, but content with them is generally shit. Too much reading and story that doesn't encourage conversations.

Fantastapotamus

If what you want is deep, continuous coverage of a RPG, neither Rorie nor Dave were ever employees of GB. Or editors. So that limits their time doing actual content severely. Vinny has never played CRPGs much, which I'm guessing is what people are referring to here.

My favourite genre is probably CRPG, but it's year since I accepted that we'll probably never get much coverage of those games here. We never did when Dave was working on the site either. And frankly I don't care much, the CRPG genre doesn't lend itself that well to entertaining coverage; the BG2 Random PC Game was by far the worst Random PC Game they did.

Facts are boring. You are boring.

popo

The lack of PC RPG coverage sounds like the same point applies as when people were demanding a JRPG editor. GB can't be all things to all people. There are plenty of other sites out there to supplement coverage of your particular interest.

Fantastapotamus

The lack of PC RPG coverage sounds like the same point applies as when people were demanding a JRPG editor.
I want them to cover more jRPGs because jRPGs are fucking weird and hilarious. cRPGs don't lend themselves to funny quicklooks and since I'm a cRPG fan I already know whether I buy this game or not.
Though their Divinity QL was pretty good.

Just starting Old Game show and holy shit this music!

I just really love how he emphasize "bumble"

Anjin M

I know I'm a few hours late, but you people need to stop going in on Destiny for the 2014. More people on the site liked that game than ever game a damn about Call of Duty. They let that on the list because of Jeff and no one else. If you want to blame anyone for Wolfenstein's 11th place finish, blame Jeff and his weird attachment to COD.

Also, I like CRPGs too, but I know that Giant Bomb is not the place for that kind of coverage. I'd rather they cover what they like than half-ass it.

My point was they used to have people who didn't half ass rpg coverage. Diversity in tastes(and in general) has its perks. Hopefully the new hire brings something interesting to the table but we will see.

Myggen

My point was they used to have people who didn't half ass rpg coverage. Diversity in tastes(and in general) has its perks. Hopefully the new hire brings something interesting to the table but we will see.

I'd argue that Rorie's coverage of RPGs has been as good as Dave's, if we're looking at QLs. But that's probably a taste thing. I think you're remembering a lot more Dave coverage of newly released RPGs than there actually was. Random PC Game sure, even though there wasn't that many RPGs there. My point is that there was never much coverage of those kind of games at GB, not with Dave there and not after he quit. Patrick only really covered one RPG, Divinity, and it doesn't really look like he has stuck with the genre going by his YT channel/Twitter.

Sure I would like some more of that kind of coverage, but there's never been much of it and we never got more than a QL of those types of games.

Nobody ever said the bomb is a human bomb.
It's obviously anthropomorphized.

Dave designed the logo and said it's a mouth. There is no debate.

https://twitter.com/enemykite/status/502102008954777600
Ignore everything I said, fuck Dave.

And I just don't like Rorie that much in terms of video content. Most of the time he seems completely out of it and for the games he looks at he either gets things wrong or talks about how he abandoned the last game they looked at but surely he'll stick with this one. There are a lot more CRPG games out now then there were when Dave still worked at the office. Of course it's silly to imagine how things would have gone if he'd stayed :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom