• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember on the Bombcast when Ryan would do his impersonation of James Adomian impersonating Huell Howser from Comedy Bang Bang. It was great.

Jeff makes the odd offhanded Comedy Bang Bang reference once in a while. I can't really reference any specific ones, but I've noticed it a few times in the last year or so. CBB is definitely one of the best podcasts out there, by far the best comedy podcast imo.

My regular podcast schedule is now:

Monday - DLC (Jeff Cannata, Christian Spicer), Player One Podcast (Ex EGM dudes...really funny), Comedy Bang Bang

Tuesday - Bombcast, Podcast Beyond (IGN Playstation...Scoville and Altano are pretty great)

Wednesday/Thursday - nothing...usually still Bombcast, oh and 8-4 Play every second week

Friday - CAGcast (maybe the best gaming podcast), Rebel FM (Geise is kind of a tool, but Anthony is great), The Comedy Button (surprisingly good coming from games journalists), Game Over Greggy Show (only just started listening to this one, but it's pretty good)

That usually carries me through the weekend.

I also semi-regularly listen to Polygon's Quality Control, Back In My Play, Retronauts and a handful of other Earwolf Podcasts like U Talkin U2 to Me?

Still, the Bombcast is my favorite. It really even transcends podcasts as far as I'm concerned. I haven't missed a week in years. I can remember when I started listening, but I've never missed a single one. I know it's not technically the best, or funniest, but it's so long and is really a highlight of every week for me.

Jintor

I don't know how you can listen to so many gaming podcasts, I find 4 a week to be my gaming limit (there's only so many times you can hear different people rehash the same news they mostly don't have too much info on). Need some comedy/informative in there to mix it up.

I don't know how you can listen to so many gaming podcasts, I find 4 a week to be my gaming limit (there's only so many times you can hear different people rehash the same news they mostly don't have too much info on). Need some comedy/informative in there to mix it up.

I don't know. To me, Bombcast, Player One and CagCast are just comedy podcasts that happen to have video game themes to them. But yeah...I guess I kind of really like video games. It's like how I don't get how people can have like the MLB or NFL package. I watch a game a week, maybe, and that's good for me.

The bigger thing is, all my listening is done while driving around working. I own a painting company and probably spend 2-3 hours a day in my truck driving from site to site and it just is something I can do that takes my mind off of traffic and all the annoyances of work.

Jintor

i dont know how people listen to one podcast a week let alone 4

Commute time

Podcast time is mainly walking time (generally in-transit or just walking/biking for the pleasure of biking, although you gotta only have one ear in when biking), train-time or cooking time. Sometimes even just chilling time, though I'm usually watching something on a second screen instead when doing that.

I hope Dan on KindaFunnyGames is light because I just got to the part in BloodBorne where
THERE IS A WHOLE AREA OF RATKINGS... BUT SNAKES
and had to peace out.

Ok, this started with the rap song from Teen Witch, A+,

danm999

Jeff makes the odd offhanded Comedy Bang Bang reference once in a while. I can't really reference any specific ones, but I've noticed it a few times in the last year or so. CBB is definitely one of the best podcasts out there, by far the best comedy podcast imo.

Jeff definitely uses the Scott Aukerman cadence reading ads pretty often.

Also I could swear that somebody a few months ago said "side by side" in an innocuous context on the Bombcast and Jeff chuckled in the background.

BearPawB

Banned
i listen to so many podcasts it is almost sick:
Adventure Zone, classic loveline, Around the horn, all of grantland's Pop cuture casts and some of their sports casts, radio lab, 8-4 play, 99% invisible, doug loves movies, pti, bs report, flop house, bombcast, how did this get made, idle thumbs, mbmbam, oh no ross and carrie, planet money, this american life....and probably othersthat come up less often.

and audiobooks.

I've always liked talk radio, if i am playing a game i am almost always also listening to a podcast.

Rainmaker

Banned
I can't even begin to start listening to another game-related podcast outside of the Bombcast. The GB crew are really the only personalities that I don't find annoying. GAF and GB are the only gaming websites I actively seek out day-to-day anyway.

I listen to Comedy Bang Bang religiously and go on Harmontown binges. Outside of that I occasionally listen to the Stone Cold podcast if there's a good guest on as he's the only wrestling podcaster who isn't just awful.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I can't even begin to start listening to another game-related podcast outside of the Bombcast. The GB crew are really the only personalities that I don't find annoying. GAF and GB are the only gaming websites I actively seek out day-to-day anyway.

Yep. This is me too.

hamchan

I find that most weeks I'd rather just listen to the bombcast twice than another gaming podcast. Jimquisition is the only other one. They are so British and swear happy in that show, it's hilarious.

I listen to Comedy Bang Bang religiously and go on Harmontown binges. Outside of that I occasionally listen to the Stone Cold podcast if there's a good guest on as he's the only wrestling podcaster who isn't just awful.

We should have a GAF cast. Talk about the week, maybe have a guest moderator, and make all those funny GAF references everyone loves

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
PC Gamer UK had a really hilarious podcast once upon a time. Shit all over the US one. No idea if it's still running. I remember their podcasts being incredibly sporadic.

Lelcar

Yeah, I'm with you to an extent. I've listened to a lot of gaming podcasts and the Bombcast is the only one that I keep up with week-to-week and the only podcast that I've constantly listened to for years and years. I go through phases and bouts with every other podcast.

I have a degree in Radio Broadcasting, I'm passionate in all things voice and entertainment related and I feel like the showmanship and chemistry at Giant Bomb is top notch. Most other podcasts feel stiff or introverted to me, very little banter or joking around and it feels like you're just listening to employees talking during work hours. It's not just that though, it's been referenced many times before, but GB is almost like a TV show with a lore and inside jokes and characters that develop and change. It's entertainment. I don't approach the staff's opinions from an informative perspective nor do I even compare them to my own opinions. In fact, I generally disagree with everyone there, I mean, I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan. Rather, I enjoy listening to their extreme opinions without getting upset because it's developing these characters that I've listened to for years.

I'd also liken GB to having a favourite sports team. I am patriotic to Giant Bomb as a whole and I get a tingly feeling whenever GB is mentioned by an outside source or if something from the site gets mainstream internet popular. I feel proud. But then if someone leaves GB, like Patrick, I'm not going to follow their endeavors, because I care about GB the brand.

Anyway, I still have and do listen to other podcasts though, I just approach it from a different mindset. I'll listen to GT Time here and there and I like it. Kinda Funny is cool as well, but I don't watch or listen to every video. I watch Mega64 weekly too, but it's barely a gaming podcast. Talking about games is an afterthought for that show, it's mostly just comedy banter. I used to follow Garnett Lee's podcasts like 4 Guys 1UP and Weekend Confirmed, but both those are over now. I used to listen to 8-4 Play when it was first being hosted on the site, and I still love those guys over there, but that podcast is weirdly pessimistic to a lot of games in a way that I can't get behind. People have recommended Idle Thumbs, but I can't get into that either, it didn't hook me. I love Jeremy Parish too, but I find his new US Gamer podcast to be incredibly cringe inducing.

GameTrailers has put together a pretty fantastic (and really fucking weird) group in the last few years and it bums me out that their podcast doesn't really reflect that at all most of the time.

But then if someone leaves GB, like Patrick, I'm not going to follow their endeavors, because I care about GB the brand.

if you liked his actual content you should check out his stuff, it's easily the best it's been since he left SF.

well as far as videos go, at least. when it comes to his writing I've never really been a fan.

High Scruffy Brad = Best Brad.

Which one is the hoodslam wrestler?

@DanRyckert
With @gangrel13 and @SheikKhan at #HOODSLAM!
CBE2wr5UUAEr9RV.jpg:medium

I'd say Scruffy & Salty Bread is my favourite.

Speaking of which, Breaking Brad: Bloodborne seems like a no brainer, right?

Well only if it was his first time playing it like Demons Souls. But he's already played it >_>; Maybe Breaking Jeff.

Oooh yeah they should do that. Someone send out the Rudds Light.

Well only if it was his first time playing it like Demons Souls. But he's already played it >_>; Maybe Breaking Jeff.

Oooh yeah they should do that. Someone send out the Rudds Light.

Yeah, fair point. I'm just feeling a bit starved on Brad Premium content. He makes so many promises and never follows through! Dammit rudds *shakes fist*

Lelcar

GameTrailers has put together a pretty fantastic group in the last few years and it bums me out that their podcast doesn't really reflect that at all most of the time.

if you liked his actual content you should check out his stuff, it's easily the best it's been since he left SF.

Yeah, GT Time needs to be hosted by Bosman and Huber together (who have the most chemistry) and have a looser format.

And thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out Patrick's post-GB stuff eventually, I just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I haven't been in a mood to watch his new solo stuff yet.

Rainmaker

Banned
It's not just that though, it's been referenced many times before, but GB is almost like a TV show with a lore and inside jokes and characters that develop and change. It's entertainment. I don't approach the staff's opinions from an informative perspective nor do I even compare them to my own opinions. In fact, I generally disagree with everyone there, I mean, I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan. Rather, I enjoy listening to their extreme opinions without getting upset because it's developing these characters that I've listened to for years.

This is exactly how I view Giant Bomb. It's really amazing.

I'd also liken GB to having a favourite sports team. I am patriotic to Giant Bomb as a whole and I get a tingly feeling whenever GB is mentioned by an outside source or if something from the site gets mainstream internet popular. I feel proud. But then if someone leaves GB, like Patrick, I'm not going to follow their endeavors, because I care about GB the brand.

I'm with you about getting excited about hearing it brought up from outside sources. It's just something I highly enjoy and I think they're all pretty swell dudes. I think there are core people that could leave and make me lose interest but as much as I didn't want Patrick to leave it wasn't as detrimental to my viewing as it would be if someone like Brad, Jeff, Drew, or Vinny were to leave. Not a knock on Patrick. He had just kind of slowly disappeared over time because of his move.

I don't really feel an emotion towards the brand. If they all left and started something new I'd follow them. I still will watch a Patrick-only stream. It's just not the same as when he was with the crew. It's hard to compete with GB's style as they've put so much of theirselves out there for so long. It's just a really unique situation they've created. I'm very thankful for it. I will say I hope they add some diversity to their crew soon, though.

But on a serious note, I'm not sure who I'd pick to be my mom.

daydream

Banned
you guys know i love rorie, right

OGS is maybe the one thing where he seems a bit out of place, it's not the first time he's talked about how he's not really interested in older stuff

hoping for peter, dan or danny next time!

but yeah, need to reiterate that i am really, really into OGS already, it's exactly what i've been asking for since forever

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Old Games Show is essentially all I want out of GB

Jeff Gerstmann talking about old games and old games journalism is my absolute favorite part of Giant Bomb. It's why I loved the end of the year streams so much.

Re: Their whole thing about speedrunning - I hate it when developers try to encourage speed running when developing the game. To me, the whole fun aspect of speed running is seeing people who play the game so much, research so many hours that they begin to discover skips and tricks that no one else would have ever figured out.

you guys know i love rorie, right

OGS is maybe the one thing where he seems a bit out of place, it's not the first time he's talked about how he's not really interested in older stuff

hoping for peter, dan or danny next time!

but yeah, need to reiterate that i am really, really into OGS already, it's exactly what i've been asking for since forever

Even Drew would be better because Drew's mentioned before he likes going back and playing older games

Great to see they finally did the old game show they've been talking about. Maybe I'll even take a short break from Bloodborne tonight to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom