• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liamc723

I'm completely bored of 2D side-scrolling games, but Axiom Verge looks really cool. I think I'll give it a shot when I'm finished with Bloodborne and the Dark Souls 2 remaster.

I still have plenty of "essentials" to experience. Played Dragon Quest V myself last year, it's awesome. Mostly busy with my backlog, for example last month Link between worlds, last week Arkham Asylum, currently Ghost Trick.
i'm incredibly envious of you because that fucking game is such a gem. I played it on iOS before the recent firmware updates broke the game and I couldn't put the game down. the animations alone are worthy of the greatest of praises.

Do not play unity. Trust me , its really bad. And this is coming from someone who really enjoyed ACIV.

well shit, wtf has ubsoft been up to lately where the only decent AAA game they've released recently was Far Cry 3+.

Yeah a game can be good, but saying you're moved to tears because it's so good is a bit hyperbolic I imagine. But hey maybe it is a life changing game.

this is literally why she started her website

this is why she was born

this is the culmination of human achievement

burn down the world, we're done after axiom verge

this is literally why she started her website

this is why she was born

this is the culmination of human achievement

burn down the world, we're done after axiom verge

In a few years you'll be able to ask "where were you when Axiom Verge was released?"

We have to redefine the meaning of "being on the verge", because we will all be on the verge. The Axiom Verge.

It all makes sense now. The Singularity is actually The Verging.

jaina

If you plan to play Axiom Verge yourself this week, I recommend to stop watching the Quick Look when Jeff loads his 97% save.

is there any indication of how long Axiom Verge is?

basically I want to make proper preparations for the inevitable human instrumentality that occurs when you finish the game

Those tweets seem kinda cringeworthy honestly, but I'm guessing there is some sort of twist then.
I'm looking forward to people playing through the game, not having any idea what she was talking about, asking her and then we come to find out she was talking about when you find the morph ball.

Listening to The Comedy Button with Dan on it and somehow his life comes off as more crazy than it has previously. I just don't understand how so much crazy shit happens around this guy.

Myggen

basically I want to make proper preparations for the inevitable human instrumentality that occurs when you finish the game

Jeff says in his review that he spent 15 hours getting 97% map completion, over 70% items.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

That crazy indie game lady posted a 27h endgame screenshot. She had less than 100% completion, though.

Megasoum

Banned

Jeff's save says 20h but he might have left it running. Also he didn't get everything.

MaxiLive

Yeah a game can be good, but saying you're moved to tears because it's so good is a bit hyperbolic I imagine. But hey maybe it is a life changing game.

Personal life changing experience.

If it isn't from a source you know or care about then don't treat it as hype as you have no idea what they personally class as life changing. Not defending this person as the comments are OTT but just teat that as OTT comments plus it being on the interwebs.

She didn't like Guacamelee :(

I loved Quacamelee until about half way through when the combat kind of got annoying. It just seemed to get to a point where you either had to get pretty good at the combat or you weren't going to enjoy going forward much more. Once it got to the point of having to switch between the worlds for different enemies stacked on top of attacking certain ones specific ways with it throwing 10 guys at you just made me give up.

KingKong

its kinda crazy to think that in 2014 the GOTYs were stuff like Shadow of Mordor and Far Cry 4 when we've already had games at least as good (and imo better) in PoE and Bloodborne and Cities:Skylines and Ori are comparable to the other top 10s

just look at the giantbomb top 10 list:

Shadow of Mordor, Bayonetta 2, Far Cry 4, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Jazzpunk, Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, Destiny

its kinda crazy to think that in 2014 the GOTYs were stuff like Shadow of Mordor and Far Cry 4 when we've already had games at least as good (and imo better) in PoE and Bloodborne and Cities:Skylines and Ori are comparable to the other top 10s

Shadow of Mordor, Bayonetta 2, Far Cry 4, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Jazzpunk, Shovel Knight, Mario Kart 8, Destiny

Yeah, I think last year was a bummer for games in general and the top 10 is pretty evident of this. Some people were really into some of those games last year, of course.

I really wish Axiom Verge wasn't pixel art, hopefully one day the style will just go away.

I think pixel art can be done well but in a lot of cases it's a cheap and easy art style that can be used if the studio can't afford a more modern or unique art style. If there was no pixel art we might be seeing some pretty rough art styles that don't hide the lack of budget as well. Pixel art might be overdone but imo it's preferable to studios releasing games with rough looking 3D models or something.

we don't need a reminder that 2014 was a rough year for big budget games. It was as if the launch window for these new machines went from the typical 6 months or so to 18 months.

also, shovel knight was robbed.

Wunder

I loved Quacamelee until about half way through when the combat kind of got annoying. It just seemed to get to a point where you either had to get pretty good at the combat or you weren't going to enjoy going forward much more. Once it got to the point of having to switch between the worlds for different enemies stacked on top of attacking certain ones specific ways with it throwing 10 guys at you just made me give up.

Yeah I guess its not for everyone but I loved that shit. I didn't even really go for the 100% either just doing the combat and stuff was pretty fun, though it definitely hit my upper limit near the end with the challenges.

Unfortunately I don't think PoE has any chance on the goty list this year. It looks like only Rorie will play it. Someone will probably mention it in the goty discussion, it'll get a few non-committal grunts and "ehhs", and then it'll be dropped.

in 2015 I'm looking at one Yakuza game in Japanese, one in English, a Persona music game, and possibly a proper Persona game too

if literally no other games came out this year it'd still somehow be my favorite year for games in a while

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I really wish Axiom Verge wasn't pixel art, hopefully one day the style will just go away.

I don't mind pixel art, but the backgrounds, environments, and menus made to look like an NES game are something I can easily say goodbye to. The boss sprites look amazing and the animation is good in Axiom Verge, but the background elements just look so awful to me.

Wunder

Unfortunately I don't think PoE has any chance on the goty list this year. It looks like only Rorie will play it. Someone will probably mention it in the goty discussion, it'll get a few non-committal grunts and "ehhs", and then it'll be dropped.

Wanna... wanna bet?

Pixel art never bothered me but maybe that's because I grew up with the nes as my first console. I wonder if people who didn't grow up in the 8-16 bit eras are more or less inclined to accept that style than those who grew up in the 3d polygonal eras. Shovel Knight sat between 8-16 bit era visuals and i'll be damned that was easily one of the best games i played last year.

or maybe i'm just into playing good games and that stuff doesn't matter to me *pushes his glasses up, crosses his arms**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom