• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should create a coup d'etat against the SBF thread and create your own SBF OT thread. GB OT has your back.
I actually wanted to make a podcast-focused thread in gaming side like the Bombcast threads, but it got shut down (after getting an ok from mods due to miscommunication).

I'll just go make my own thread, with blackjack and hookers... Actually forget the thread.

Myggen

we can exclude all the joystiq folks who have already found a new job. don't know who that is though.

Who were the more prominent Joystiq folks who lost their jobs? My knowledge of Joystiq editors stops with Griffin and Justin McElroy, and they left a long time ago.

You should create a coup d'etat against the SBF thread and create your own SBF OT thread. GB OT has your back.

He IS the one who makes the OTs and posts the most in the thread.
We tried making a podcast thread like what you guys have once for exactly what he wanted but the mods shut it down pretty quickly.

Anyway hi, I'm a fairly recent premium member, Thanks for the list of recommended stuff Myggen, I've went through and checked most of it out.

Anjin M

I learned all my human resources knowledge from this one episode of King of the Hill. Based on that, I have to ask, how many people currently work at GiantBomb? Are they at 15 workers where they'd have to hire a non-white male?

Given the shitstorm that is going to hit regardless of who they hire, this joke is in extremely poor taste.

Aw. I was going to make a joke about them hiring Vinny. You know, since he's a
You're a terrible person for clicking this.

Powerbombcast Extra: Jim Ross on Wrestling, Bay Area Sports, and BBQ
BREAKING NEWS

I hear that @GameOverGreggy is skipping town this week, so I'll be filling in for him tomorrow on Colin & Greg Live - Dan

dan leaving giantbom

I got the scoop before you, Jimmy!

Edit- Over at Kinda Funny, Colin Moriarty announced that tomorrow on Colin and Greg Live, filling in for Greg (who is out all week), is none other then Dan Ryckert!

Patryn

:T My sense of humor is usually poorly placed.

It's ok.

I've posted before how I'm kind of dreading the announcement, because if it's a woman or POC there will be a lot of accusations of bias in the hiring process, and if it's a white guy we'll have a rehash of when Dan and Jason were hired, and the whole thing is going to be an ugly, ugly mess that will make me ashamed of being a fan of Giant Bomb for a while.

Hopefully this time it won't spawn a 70+ page on the main forum of people harassing and attacking each other.

I could just be being overly pessimistic, though.

Volotaire

We tried making a podcast thread like what you guys have once for exactly what he wanted but the mods shut it down pretty quickly.

Anyway hi, I'm a fairly recent premium member, Thanks for the list of recommended stuff Myggen, I've went through and checked most of it out.

Oh haha.

Could you make a separate podcast thread instead of indvidual podcast threads? That may work in your favour.

jaina

Who were the more prominent Joystiq folks who lost their jobs? My knowledge of Joystiq editors stops with Griffin and Justin McElroy, and they left a long time ago.

See, I don't know any. But they must've had some news gurus.

Myggen

Cool!

Also, did they shut down individual threads for the podcast episodes? Because that's what we have, no mega thread for the Bombcast over at Gaming. There's a lot of similar threads posted, like for Jimquisition episodes, Angry Joe reviews etc. Seems strange to moderate threads like that for the Super Best Friends Cast. Then again the mods might not like you guys ;)

It's ok.

I've posted before how I'm kind of dreading the announcement, because if it's a woman or POC there will be a lot of accusations of bias in the hiring process, and if it's a white guy we'll have a rehash of when Dan and Jason were hired, and the whole thing is going to be an ugly, ugly mess that will make me ashamed of being a fan of Giant Bomb for a while.

Hopefully this time it won't spawn a 70+ page on the main forum of people harassing and attacking each other.

I'm not active enough to get involved, so I'm anticipating reading the reactions from whoever is hired. For me it'll be a fun read
I think it might be true ;_;
I thought the video series SBF did on Monster Hunter 4 was wonderful.
I forgot where I was going with this...

It's ok.

Damn did that seriously happen?

Wow.

Myggen

Really enjoyed Danswers, Samantha's perspective on stuff was really great to hear.

Damn did that seriously happen?

Wow.

Yeah, the MRA part of Reddit and 4chan got involved on Twitter. It got all kinds of ugly. That's what Jeff wrote that first Letter From the Editor about.

Cool!

Also, did they shut down individual threads for the podcast episodes? Because that's what we have, no mega thread for the Bombcast over at Gaming. There's a lot of similar threads posted, like for Jimquisition episodes, Angry Joe reviews etc. Seems strange to moderate threads like that for the Super Best Friends Cast. Then again the mods might not like you guys ;)

I know you guys have EmCee, but we have Bish.

He's a fan of the Best Friends.

Yeah, the MRA part of Reddit and 4chan got involved on Twitter. It got all kinds of ugly. That's what Jeff wrote that first Letter From the Editor about.

Wow. I didn't get into Giant Bomb until after the Dan hire so I missed out on all that stuff. I've heard about some of it from a friend that's been a fan since 2010, but I never realized it got that ugly.

Myggen

Wow. I didn't get into Giant Bomb until after the Dan hire so I missed out on all that stuff. I've heard about some of it from a friend that's been a fan since 2010, but I never realized it got that ugly.

Yeah, it got really ugly. Someone on the shitty side of Reddit made a thread pointing people to a named journalist, which got 2k+ upvotes IIRC. More or less to try to get as many people as possible to harass her. 4chan of course jumped at the opportunity, the little shits they are. That's why I think many of us are a bit nervous about the moment GB announces a new hire, even though it's of course gonna be a good thing in the long run. The internet can be awful at times.

I heard that the new hire is that guy who eats really hot peppers while reviewing stuff on youtube.

Hah, I loved that he had to tweet that he didn't even know about the job because so many people were convinced he was the one because of some 2+2=6 line of reasoning.

Yeah, it got really ugly. Someone on the shitty side of Reddit made a thread pointing people to a named journalist, which got 2k+ upvotes IIRC. More or less to try to get as many people as possible to harass her. 4chan of course jumped at the opportunity, the little shits they are. That's why I think many of us are a bit nervous about the moment GB announces a new hire, even though it's of course gonna be a good thing in the long run. The internet can be awful at times.

tfmNzjA.gif

I hope they new hire is announced soon though; presumably it's for the GBeast office. I love Vinny and Alex but it's apparent from even them that they're tired of each other doing the quicklooks.

Also has Vinny said anything about streaming from their offices or any live shows?

Zebetite

Banned
I heard that the new hire is that guy who eats really hot peppers while reviewing stuff on youtube.

Andrew WK did an episode of that once. He is also based out of New York, and has had several of his albums release as Japan-exclusives.

Think about it.

Really enjoyed Danswers, Samantha's perspective on stuff was really great to hear.

Yeah this was a great episode. Having a guest, especially one with such a different background, allows them to talk about more than just people's relationship trouble.

I can't believe people would view a new hire as a negative. Its exciting to see what a new person could bring to the table, especially when the most recent hire brought some of the best and most hilarious premium content to the site that I've seen (as little of it as I have anyway).

Bacon

I hope they new hire is announced soon though; presumably it's for the GBeast office. I love Vinny and Alex but it's apparent from even them that they're tired of each other doing the quicklooks.

Also has Vinny said anything about streaming from their offices or any live shows?

Can't wait for a new voice to join in with GBeast. Vinny and Alex are a great duo but it can get really stale with just the same two people in every single piece of content.

Zebetite

Banned
I can't believe people would view a new hire as a negative. Its exciting to see what a new person could bring to the table, especially when the most recent hire brought some of the best and most hilarious premium content to the site that I've seen (as little of it as I have anyway).

The internet is a terrible place that makes monsters of us all, and anyone who is Lame On The Internet as though it were their job will jump at the opportunity to be even lamer.

A lot of people jumped.

Myggen

I can totally see wanting a different perspective than another white, straight guy at the video games site you're a fan of. But regardless of what your opinion on stuff like that is, at least respect others opinion on that stuff without resorting to personal attacks. That's what bummed me out about the whole thing, it was such a little thing to get so angry about, GB never needed defending, and then people who had probably never heard of GB got involved because they just like to harass women on the internet.

Ah, but let's switch subject.

Because people are the worst, basically.

The Best Friends have entertained the thought of bringing their Girlfriends onto a few episodes and maybe spinning that off into a separate series(which would be an awesome idea), but the MRA stuff has been a factor of them not doing that.

On the Youtube section comments of a BioFREAKS videos, there was a fervor over something that was shouted mid game that was supposedly attributed to one of their GFs and felt the need to harass her on Twitter.

If the Forum section of the Best Friends was half as great as Giant Bomb's, there'd be less worry of that element. I can imagine it to be difficult as a bi-coastal business.

Hey Russ Frushtick still doesn't have a job, has tons of experience working in game news, lives in NY and is freinds with GBeast. Logically, he's a possible candidate, just sayin...

Myggen

The Best Friends have entertained the thought of bringing their Girlfriends onto a few episodes and maybe spinning that off into a separate series(which would be an awesome idea), but the MRA stuff has been a factor of them not doing that.

On the Youtube section comments of a BioFREAKS videos, there was a fervor over something that was shouted mid game that was supposedly attributed to one of their GFs and felt the need to harass her on Twitter.

If the Forum section of the Best Friends was half as great as Giant Bomb's, there'd be less worry of that element. I can imagine it to be difficult as a bi-coastal business.

Yeah, I understand why they're hesitant about doing something like that even though it would probably be super cool to get other voices on the channel and stuff like that. Matt's GF is into games too if I remember correctly from my limited time of watching SBF videos.

At the very least they wouldn't want to read Youtube comments if they ever did anything like that. You would hope that people would steer clear of being creepy on Twitter, but as you said, they probably won't. It's sad that we're still at a point where content creators are that afraid of their own fans when it comes to this stuff.

Beyond anything political - I think another white dude at GB would just be incredibly boring. All the dudes have a pretty similar perspective on many things as it is.

Yeah,personally I would love someone like Tina from kotaku at GB, but it's up to Jeff at the end of the day, on who he feels is the best fit.

Hey I didn't see much mention of Alexa Ray guesting on that quicklook, what did people think? I think she's intelligent and funny, I hope she shows up on UPF or other GB features in the future.

Myggen

Hey I didn't see much mention of Alexa Ray guesting on that quicklook, what did people think? I think she's intelligent and funny, I hope she shows up on UPF or other GB features in the future.

I liked her! But it seemed like people focussed most on the fact that she apparently spoiled the shit out of Type-0's story in that QL. But yeah, I'd love to see her in more content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom