• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Now that I think about it, surely there's a Mario and Wa Brothers themed restaraunt somewhere on the planet that Dan has a personal goal to eat in.

I feel like Jeff is the only person in existance that likes Borderlands 1 more then 2.

Like... I hate the "internet humour" in 2 as much as the next guy but its such a better game then 1 from top to bottom.

jaina

Jeff's enthusiasm during the Handsome Jack QL was at an all-time low. Poor fella.

Really great to see the energy/enthusiasm difference of Jeff and Brad in the Axiom Verge QL and right after that in the Borderlands QL.

oh great i forgot we get axiom verge on wednesday and not tomorrow in europe

Probably just as high on the disappointment scale as when Wunder suddenly lost an hour of time yesterday.

Zaph

I feel like Jeff is the only person in existance that likes Borderlands 1 more then 2.

Like... I hate the "internet humour" in 2 as much as the next guy but its such a better game then 1 from top to bottom.
He is 100% correct in that they ruined the soldier class - being able to go full support made B1 feel more like a unique team based game, rather than everyone being offense focused like in B2.

If that was your thing, B2 is a big disappointment.

I can understand it though. BL2 is a great game except when people start talking. Having me guy screaming memes every time I leveled up or crited somebody was just....urgh

Yeah... the moment people start talking is when I stop thinking "maybe there's something to this game." But I think they have a different audience in mind, so whatever.

#Paul4PowerbombCast
yl5vo0b.png

paul > dan confirmed

Anjin M

A 5 star review from Jeff that isn't Mortal Kombat? Dang yo.

Let's give Jeff a little credit. He's given more 5 star scores than anyone else on the site (33, by my count.)

I agree with him. I liked Borderlands 1 much more than 2. But I also liked Diablo 1 more than 2 and Torchlight 1 more than 2. Bigger isn't always better.

I played through 1 3ish times. I stopped playing 2 after I beat it once. Something about 1 was just more fun to me, I may have been burned out by the time I got to 2 or something though. Watching the QL doesn't make me want another Borderlands anytime soon. I hope they change it up some for the next game. I'd love if they went with more active abilities to use.

Nah, man. Borderlands 1 is a pretty good game, but Borderlands 2 felt like a nonstop barrage of bullet-sponges and shitty jokes with a dampened sense of progression (the snail-paced Badass Rank system versus the Proficiencies that actually rewarded you with bonuses for the specific types of weapons you prefer) and a fucked rarity drop percentage. It was incredibly rare to get an item worth a shit in BL2 (specific bosses could be killed hundreds of times before the legendary item associated with them could drop) to the point where I went into Cheat Engine and made it so that every drop was legendary. This didn't break the game as much as you might think, since it made scouring every last part of each map a bit more exciting, and while the drop rate for legendaries increased, it still meant that I had to sift through a bunch of lousy weapons since most of the legendaries are focused on gimmicks like "assault rifle that fires rockets instead of bullets" instead of "assault rifle that's very useful in combat."

It actually felt like there were less weapons in 2 than 1.

In borderlands 2, I used cheat engine to get unlimited golden keys for that special chest because I hated just about every gun that I got as a random drop. I didn't even think to make my own fake guns.

I don't know, I feel like B2 set the standard for the rest of the games and I had more than enough of that from B2. Playing as Mechromancer was fun though.

I personally enjoyed Borderlands 1 more than 2, Borderlands 2 was certainly an improvement but it just felt like more Borderlands but with annoying writing and kind of lackluster loot.

Also, holy shit Borderlands needs instanced loot. My #1 complaint. It's the worst having to decide who gets what loot after a boss. If you're in a group with people you don't know? It becomes a mad rush to grab what you can.

Myggen

Matthew Rorie @frailgesture · 14m 14 minutes ago

If CBS Interactive cared for its employees it wouldn't show CBS television shows in the lobby.

Matthew Rorie @frailgesture · 14m 14 minutes ago

2 Broke Girls contributes to a general malaise and sense of irritability in this building, like some miasma seeping in through the vents.

Don't get fired, Rorie!

Also, holy shit Borderlands needs instanced loot. My #1 complaint. It's the worst having to decide who gets what loot after a boss. If you're in a group with people you don't know? It becomes a mad rush to grab what you can.

That's probably the best way to sum up the problem with Borderlands (2 in particular, can't speak for Pre-Sequel): It's a loot-driven game that fucked up the loot.

Yup, I don't hate non instanced loot as much as some people but that's because I played such an excessive amount of diablo 2 that I'm used to it, if you're going to make your loot drops random you need some way to compensate for assholes just stealing all the loot.

Borderlands needs an armor system with customizable armor, hats, shoes, and stuff. It can't just be guns/shields/relics/etc anymore.

I also like the idea of the game having Destiny styled raids, but they need to make sure the SP content is actually quality. And I don't care if the writing is actually good or not, but just don't make it a cringeworthy mess like a good part is 2 was. 1's writing was nothing special, but it didn't hurt to listen to it.

Don't get fired, Rorie!

that sounds like a man who could use a nice cold soda

He is 100% correct in that they ruined the soldier class - being able to go full support made B1 feel more like a unique team based game, rather than everyone being offense focused like in B2.

If that was your thing, B2 is a big disappointment.

all the classes in 2 were vastly inferior to the first game, except maybe Gaige and that's just because they took her in weird and cool directions. glue that to dumb writing and all the mechanic tweaking in the world doesn't really make up for it

That being said, I think Borderlands 2 is a good game. It does a lot of the right things that a sequel should do, but the problem is it didn't do enough of it and it felt too similar.

Tucah

you speak so well
Borderlands needs an armor system with customizable armor, hats, shoes, and stuff. It can't just be guns/shields/relics/etc anymore.

I also like the idea of the game having Destiny styled raids, but they need to make sure the SP content is actually quality. And I don't care if the writing is actually good or not, but just don't make it a cringeworthy mess like a good part is 2 was. 1's writing was nothing special, but it didn't hurt to listen to it.

Yep, more unique character appearances/loot is a big step to making me want to play a new Borderlands, in addition to writing that's not ripped from memes. I could see a Destiny styled Borderlands game working pretty well, but mostly I just want something that's not just more of 1 and 2.

Yup, I don't hate non instanced loot as much as some people but that's because I played such an excessive amount of diablo 2 that I'm used to it, if you're going to make your loot drops random you need some way to compensate for assholes just stealing all the loot.

Well, item duping is ridiculously easy to do, so as long as you're playing with decent people, it really isn't that much of a problem.

Teddified

I'm pretty sure that in the Tiny Tina DLC you can just shoot Fire Barrels next to the anchor lines of the blimps and they'll be destroyed that way.

Nah, man. Borderlands 1 is a pretty good game, but Borderlands 2 felt like a nonstop barrage of bullet-sponges and shitty jokes with a dampened sense of progression (the snail-paced Badass Rank system versus the Proficiencies that actually rewarded you with bonuses for the specific types of weapons you prefer) and a fucked rarity drop percentage. It was incredibly rare to get an item worth a shit in BL2 (specific bosses could be killed hundreds of times before the legendary item associated with them could drop) to the point where I went into Cheat Engine and made it so that every drop was legendary. This didn't break the game as much as you might think, since it made scouring every last part of each map a bit more exciting, and while the drop rate for legendaries increased, it still meant that I had to sift through a bunch of lousy weapons since most of the legendaries are focused on gimmicks like "assault rifle that fires rockets instead of bullets" instead of "assault rifle that's very useful in combat."

It actually felt like there were less weapons in 2 than 1.

Preach. The BL2 loot is so focused on tradeoffs and weird quirks that I was never sure if the weapon I was equipping was actually better than the one I was replacing. That and the bullet-sponge thing just made that game feel like a chore about halfway through.

f0rk

alright alright alright beat those gargoyle bitches without summoning anything what up now

I went into the forest for a bit but the trees scared me
Then I went back to fight that big knight dude on top of the tower near where the pig was and he fucked me up. I fell for the timing on the big sweeping attack twice trying to parry it, it looks like he's going to hit me when he smacks the floor :(

Am I supposed to be going through the forest?

(tales from Dark Souls, a relevant game in 2015)

Well, item duping is ridiculously easy to do, so as long as you're playing with decent people, it really isn't that much of a problem.

You shouldn't have to cheat to overcome a design flaw. There's no upside to making people compete for loot. Even World of Warcraft has instanced loot in dungeons now. It's a poor design choice to make it so not everyone gets loot when the entire game is around getting loot. It makes playing with strangers all but impossible and it promotes playing alone since if a cool, rare gun drops you have to compete with 3 other people to get it. I can't think of a single loot-based game released in years that doesn't instance loot besides Borderlands.

Yep, more unique character appearances/loot is a big step to making me want to play a new Borderlands, in addition to writing that's not ripped from memes. I could see a Destiny styled Borderlands game working pretty well, but mostly I just want something that's not just more of 1 and 2.

Making the gunplay feel a lot better and getting a constant 60 FPS, even online, would go a really long way to making the experience much better. I don't normally care much for FR, but Borderlands was atrocious with that stuff, especially online.

I feel like Jeff is the only person in existance that likes Borderlands 1 more then 2

Naw, as someone who platinum'd bl1 bl2 was a disappointment. The level designs became even more labyrinthine and the improvements made in gameplay feel like a half step. Add the somehow worse story and the meme-y humor and it just didn't feel as enjoyable.

I get the sense that people who didn't play bl1 or didn't play enough of bl1 probably liked bl2 more than those who dug bl1. Might be one of those situations where you didn't know what you were missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom