• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #13 | good and faithful friends ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
The VO for The Boss is the worst part of that character to me.

Pearl_(Whale_of_a_Birthday)2.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
"The Godfather game is better than the Godfather movie."

If there are still people that don't think Dan is just working everyone, I would like to see them.

How i've felt about Snake since the first MGS.

- J - D -

I find that it's more of a fault of the voice direction and lip syncing requirements than anything to do with the voice actor. MGS3 was made in the era when the distinct style of "anime voice acting" was at its highest peak of general hilarity post-millenium resurgence. It sounds like it was directed like an anime show. This is why I feel MGS1 had the "best" performances and direction, which was aided given the time it was made and the technical shortcomings therein (static faces, no lip movement, etc etc).

The voice acting in the MGS series got worse and worse as the series progressed. You only need to listen to David Hayter as Snake to tell, plain as day.

I find that it's more of a fault of the voice direction and lip syncing requirements than anything to do with the voice actor. MGS3 was made in the era when the distinct style of "anime voice acting" was at its highest peak of general hilarity post-millenium resurgence. It sounds like it was directed like an anime show. This is why I feel MGS1 had the "best" performances and direction, which was aided given the time it was made and the technical shortcomings therein (static faces, no lip movement, etc etc).

The voice acting in the MGS series got worse and worse as the series progressed. You only need to listen to David Hayter as Snake to tell, plain as day.

I'd be baffled if the VA in Phantom Pain is worse than the VA in Peacewalker.

In fact the VA in GZ and the PP trailers is already better than the VA of Peacewalker, but I've never found the VA in any MGS game to be considered remotely bad. Not when there's other Konami stuff like Suikoden V and Castlevania:SotN out there.

Myggen

Yeah for sure, I'm not blaming the voice actress because she's been really good in other stuff. Trying to keep up with the lip syncing is a big part of what makes the delivery feel so forced and unnatural.

Bacon

"The Godfather game is better than the Godfather movie."

If there are still people that don't think Dan is just working everyone, I would like to see them.

Go pick a bombcast thread at random from the past few months and you will see plenty of people who think Dan is deadly serious about everything he says.

- J - D -

I'd be baffled if the VA in Phantom Pain is worse than the VA in Peacewalker.

In fact the VA in GZ and the PP trailers is already better than the VA of Peacewalker, but I've never found the VA in any MGS game to be considered remotely bad. Not when there's other Konami stuff like Suikoden V and Castlevania:SotN out there.

It's never been truly bad in the MGS series, but if we were to split the tone of those games into two distinct parts, one being campy over-the-top nonsense and the other absolutely serious war-thriller sensibilities, then the voice acting really only belongs on one of those sides most of the time.

I'm hoping for improvements with MGSV. It already sounds better than past games, despite the script doing its best to destroy all of that (i.e. "They played us like a damn fiddle!).

Yeah for sure, I'm not blaming the voice actress because she's been really good in other stuff. Trying to keep up with the lip syncing is a big part of what makes the delivery feel so forced and unnatural.

Yeah the lip syncing really ruins a lot of the peformances. compare the regular custscenes with the codec convos or monologues over film footage and it's easy to tell a big difference in quality.

Myggen

So I gather that The Matrix Online: Not Like This feature is worth watching? I've only watched part of it before and found it quite boring at the time, but it seems really well liked.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I gather that The Matrix Online: Not Like This feature is worth watching? I've only watched part of it before and found it quite boring at the time, but it seems really well liked.

Just watch the ending. It's a real party.

Man, I miss Ryan.

the real winner in that review is imessage and emojis.

and i'm not surprised that it limps to the end. the two other souls games ive played (demon's & dark) pretty much went to poop at the end.

Myggen

The Old Games Show on the schedule for Thursday next week. Seems like they're going free with that feature (people were speculating that only the first one would be free).

Megasoum

Banned
Alex Navarro
‏@alex_navarro
Notice to all game devs: If you get an email from this jackass supposedly on our behalf, do not give him any codes.

CBnBEZ_UgAAXwko.jpg:large

This is one terribly writtent email lol

Alex Navarro
‏@alex_navarro
Notice to all game devs: If you get an email from this jackass supposedly on our behalf, do not give him any codes.

This looks like someone wrote the email in a different language and put it through google translate lol.

- J - D -

Alex Navarro
‏@alex_navarro

If this email manages to get one over on anybody, then good for him.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I had never heard of Dyscourse before Giant Bomb released a video on it. I saw a handful of other videos and series for the game pop up quickly, but the Quick Look was in the first round of coverage and still might be the largest outlet to cover the game.

I imagine the developer already knows they looked at his game and don't need a code.

This is roughly the 83rd worst thing about that email, just felt I should point it out.

edit: Oh god "as much copies as you can"...Is this how those shady key resellers get their stock?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm pretty sure Dan Teasdale (or maybe somebody else) once sent a bunch of Bad Rats codes to somebody who tried the same scam. That's probably the best response possible.

not-so-fresh off my playthrough of MGS3 I'm now downloading MGS1 and Peace Walker.

I really, really want to play Peace Walker first because I love me some Big Boss but I feel like I should get a taste for where it all started first.

Unfortunately I have next to no desire to play MGS2 because MGScanlon made it seem like a not very fun game.

not-so-fresh off my playthrough of MGS3 I'm now downloading MGS1 and Peace Walker.

I really, really want to play Peace Walker first because I love me some Big Boss but I feel like I should get a taste for where it all started first.

Unfortunately I have next to no desire to play MGS2 because MGScanlon made it seem like a not very fun game.

What!? MGS 2 is INCREDIBLY fun. If you know to use all your weapons and know how the AI works, it's alotta fun.

What!? MGS 2 is INCREDIBLY fun. If you know to use all your weapons and know how the AI works, it's alotta fun.

Right right I'm not doubting that it's fun to play, my desire to play it just isn't overwhelming because I've essentially already seen what it has to offer. All the wonder of a first playthrough is diminished. I'll probably get around to it, I just want to play MGS1 and PW first.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I wasn't going to buy Blardburne yet but I think I just bought a copy off someone for $30

...sigh. too many games.

I bought Diablo 3 on PC because I was coming home drunk and convinced myself that paying for an online-only game was cheaper than paying for a PS4 to get access to offline Diablo.

I'm pretty sure I made the wrong decision, because the Bloodborne amazon deal just about got me to buy one but not before it expired.

Also because my weekend disappeared once I had new Diablo for the first time in 15 years.

Also also because I had a server error that kept me from signing in for 10-15 minutes and nearly put my fist through my monitor after being proven correct in my avoidance of ever buying an online-only game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom