• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really, the weirdest thing about the 2012 GOTY debate was that it featured a final showdown between two strong games that were very well-liked by literally everyone in the room (except Jeff didn't like The Walking Dead).

I wanna say he brought it up a couple weeks ago and went in on it in some pretty brutally true ways. That whole Telltale model is just... bad.

danm999

I think Enemy Within's pitch as basically a tweaking of the base game (albeit a significant one) just makes it a difficult sell.

Their feelings on XCOM 2 will be more positive Id bet.

As for TWD, they pretty much called that series lightning in a bottle status. The things that made that game so good were going to suffer in a second game.

Imagine a Brothers 2 trying the same thing the first one did.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
SltkWZ2.png

danm999

If you own it already you should definitely check it out. It's funny and entertaining without being too much Borderlands. I think the next episode is coming out soon.

I've put most of my other games on hold until I finish Witcher 3 but I've gone on a bit of an episodic splurge the past month or so with TWD2, Game of Thrones, Life is Strange and Dreamfall. I think I might own it already from a Steam sale (or I guess I could pick it up next week during the summer sale).

Congratulations to the A Strikers for bringing a new A Striker forth. Another child to learn Jason's sound effects and dope cable tying method.

Dan really needs to fucking watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders.

The opening five minutes are essentially nothing but cool tough guy stuff and it never, ever stops being complete fucking nonsense.

Antiwhippy

Okay, then what should I be watching instead?

Battle tendency is the best of the ones adapted so far.

Then wait till diamond is unbreakable where Jojo gets awesome again.

Stardust crusaders isn't bad, it just gets padded out too much with meaningless battles. Also jotaro is even more boring than Jonathan if such a thing is even possible. Especially coming after Joseph joestar.

demidar

Battle tendency is the best of the ones adapted so far.

Then wait till diamond is unbreakable where Jojo gets awesome again.

Stardust crusaders isn't bad, it just gets padded out too much with meaningless battles. Also jotaro is even more boring than Jonathan if such a thing is even possible. Respect ally coming after Joseph joestar.

Yeah I'm keeping up with Stardust Crusaders and I'm inclined to agree. I'd actually put Stardust Crusaders on the same (low) level as Phantom Blood, but at least Phantom Blood only laster 7-ish episodes and moved at a hyper-fast clip (and there's not that many chapters).

Battle Tendency is still my favourite by far though. I'm only an anime watcher so I don't have an opinion on the other parts.

This is all your fault Austin.

Baby name for the A-strikers, via Reddit: Kirk Hammer Oestreicher.
That reminds me of something I've been wondering for a while, actually. Did a mispronunciation of Oestreicher eventually catch on and become a kind of nickname for him in the form of "A-striker"? I've always pronounced it kind of like this, but I've wondered where people managed to get the "ay" sound from based on how it's written.

Myggen

That reminds me of something I've been wondering for a while, actually. Did a mispronunciation of Oestreicher eventually catch on and become a kind of nickname for him in the form of "A-striker"? I've always pronounced it kind of like this, but I've wondered where people managed to get the "ay" sound from based on how it's written.

A-Striker is how you pronounce that name. It's the American way of pronouncing the name I guess, or just how his family pronounces it.

A-Striker is how you pronounce that name. It's the American way of pronouncing the name I guess, or just how his family pronounces it.
Oh, I had no idea. I'm dumb. I run into that situation all the time when I meet Americans with French last names and have no idea how they'd pronounce it. Interesting. It's hard for me to not associate a name with its language of origin sometimes.

demidar

Oh, I had no idea. I'm dumb. I run into that situation all the time when I meet Americans with French last names and have no idea how they'd pronounce it. Interesting. It's hard for me to not associate a name with its language of origin sometimes.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure Jason's talked about how his last name's pronounced on a Bombcast. I think it might've been on one of the first few times he was on the Bombcast.

Xater

I am hoping we get another Massive Chalice QL now that it's done. I need to see how it developed.

Muir designed it who made the best Double Fine game so of course I am interested.

Antiwhippy

You have a weird definition of everyone.

Iron brigade, now that is a piece of shit.

Trenched however is pretty ok, though I am apathetic to it because I'm apathetic to horde modes in general.

My life is oddly mirroring Giant Bomb too often. I got married the week before or week after Ryan had his wedding and now me and my wife's due date is 2 days after Jason and Lisa's due date.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Playing Psychonauts today would not leave a great impression. We need to set rules here. Even Brütal Legend would beat it, really.

Antiwhippy

I played it again only a few years ago (certainly did beat it again after I finished brutal legend) and it stills holds up. Then again I loved brutal legend too so... take my word for what it is.

Psychonauts isn't a great platformer (it's not a bad one either, it's just sort of workmanlike), but the game is still fucking hilarious, more so than any other Double Fine game. The most imaginative too.

It delivers on the Double Fine promise - being a vehicle for laughs - brilliantly.

Xater

Psychonauts isn't a great platformer (it's not a bad one either, it's just sort of workmanlike), but the game is still fucking hilarious, more so than any other Double Fine game. The most imaginative too.

It delivers on the Double Fine promise - being a vehicle for laughs - brilliantly.

To me being that with bad gameplay is not enough. Iron Brigade is the full package. If you want to just deliver story with gameplay that doesn't hamper my enjoyment, make an adventure game.

Costume Quest was pretty fun. Double Fine should make another turn based RPG but maybe not make it themed around a holiday so I dont feel weird playing it in the middle of summer.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Costume Quest 2 must've done really bad. Steamspy says it has 29k owners and Majesco didn't pay DF or payed them late from what they said in the last adventure episode. They can't catch a break, but I guess they atleast had a publisher for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom