• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

I'm surprised about WW2, but different priorities in different parts of the world I'm guessing. WW1 seems like a it's been largely forgotten by the general public here in Norway and I wouldn't be surprised if that is true for most countries that weren't directly involved.

In Australia, WW1 is probably more focused on than any other war. It's really strange.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Cause ANZAC spirits is all about your mates, sacrifice, mates, indomitable spirits, mateship, fucking 'straya mate.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If you care a little bit, there is a great ongoing youtube series called "The Great War", where they do one episode for every week that happened exactly 100 years ago. Atleast the beginning is worth the watch if you don't want to follow along:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar/

Also available in German and Polish.

the US had a stake in WWI, so I'm still willing to chalk up my limited knowledge of it to a failure in the educational system

since we're talking about WWI, I'm going to recommend one of my favorite movies: Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory. so good.

so you're saying the notion that people who exclusively play nintendo games maybe haven't played a lot of shooters is ridiculous

Yes, because it's not like Nintendo never released shooters before. Maybe not extremely noteworthy ones, but there are a lot of third person or overhead perspective games like Custom Robo and Gotcha Force, going further back with things like Jet Force Gemini.

Unless you're talking about someone who has exclusively played WiiU games and then I'll give you that.

danm999

Australia seems to have been pretty involved in that war, so that might be it? It's not like the country was untouched by WW2 either, but still.

It's a complicated one.

The specific focus is a failed invasion of Turkey called the Gallipoli campaign which is sort of a 'crucible' for the nation for getting absolutely obliterated invading a bunch of people they had no beef with on the over side of the world. It was initially a swan song to foolish militarism, but I'm sort of worried it's developing into a warrior myth that lionizes pointless conflicts.

But yeah, WW2 was objectively a bigger deal. We were fighting the Japanese who, whilst not in our immediate vicinity, were closer than fucking Germany and Turkey. A major city (Darwin) was bombed by the Japanese. Sydney Harbour was attacked by Japanese subs.

There were plans to abandon the north of the continent should the Japanese have invaded. It's kind of a trippy thing learning all this history decades after the fact.

Fox318

It's a complicated one.

The specific focus is a failed invasion of Turkey called the Gallipoli campaign which is sort of a 'crucible' for the nation for getting absolutely obliterated invading a bunch of people they had no beef with on the over side of the world. It was initially a swan song to foolish militarism, but I'm sort of worried it's developing into a warrior myth that lionizes pointless conflicts.

But yeah, WW2 was objectively a bigger deal. We were fighting the Japanese who, whilst not in our immediate vicinity, were closer than fucking Germany and Turkey. A major city (Darwin) was bombed by the Japanese. Sydney Harbour was attacked by Japanese subs.

There were plans to abandon the north of the Continent should the Japanese have invaded. It's kind of a trippy thing learning all this history decades after the fact.

WW2 at least made more sense to to Japanese invasions of islands in pacific.

The idea that England called in troops from India and Australia to fight in Istanbul with the argument of "THEY ARE COMING AFTER YOU" never ceases to amaze me.

QqXxjrW.jpg

tchocky

Yes, because it's not like Nintendo never released shooters before. Maybe not extremely noteworthy ones, but there are a lot of third person or overhead perspective games like Custom Robo and Gotcha Force, going further back with things like Jet Force Gemini.

Unless you're talking about someone who has exclusively played WiiU games and then I'll give you that.

I think the Call of Duty games developed by Treyarch on Wii sold quite well.

There were plans to abandon the north of the continent should the Japanese have invaded. It's kind of a trippy thing learning all this history decades after the fact.

Churchill planned to deploy chemical weapons if the Nazis attempted a land invasion, as well. It was a completely terrifying time to be in charge of a nation's future.

Antiwhippy

The idea that England called in troops from India and Australia to fight in Istanbul with the argument of "THEY ARE COMING AFTER YOU" never ceases to amaze me.

QqXxjrW.jpg

Those germans have some dope ass hats.

My point is that there's likely a lot of diehard Nintendo fans that are nowhere near as exposed to shooters as most other gamers. I'm not saying that Nintendo hasn't made any, but you have to admit the landscape of shooters on Nintendo consoles is a far cry (vengence) from most other platforms. The last major Nintendo shooter I can think of was fifteen years ago. There was stuff like the Conduit out there, but I don't really hear good things about it.

danm999

QqXxjrW.jpg

Well, not to get too political in the Giant Bomb thread, but it's not like Western countries, Australia included, have been particularly resistant to the calls to get involved in the Middle East in some sort of aggressive/pre-emptive self defense in the 21st century.

Churchill planned to deploy chemical weapons if the Nazis attempted a land invasion, as well. It was a completely terrifying time to be in charge of a nation's future.

Yeah it's really, really interesting but also really, really terrifying to read all this stuff and think how it would have been so easy for shit to go monumentally wrong in so many ways.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What the hell happened to this thread? I go away for a couple days and all of sudden we're neck deep in Germans.

Well, not to get too political in the Giant Bomb thread, but it's not like Western countries, Australia included, have been particularly resistant to the calls to get involved in the Middle East in some sort of aggressive/pre-emptive self defense in the 21st century.

that's called isolationism

boom, 9th grade history class coming through

Myggen

Holy crap people on the internet are angry about a bad Rock Band 4 preview right now. Good thing GB stays away from previews most of the time, wouldn't want these people to go after you!

demidar

I remember Gallipoli getting a large focus during Social Studies. Uhh, don't remember much besides Australia getting blown up.

Reading about those ceasefires was always cool though.

Fireblend

Banned
Cool that the conversation turned to WW1, I've been listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History series on WW1 and I'm in love with them. Some people already mentioned his stuff here, but here's the link in case anyone's interested: http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/ the WW1 series is called "Blueprint for Armageddon".

Absolutely, 100% recommended. The guy's addictive as hell to listen to, and he REALLY knows his stuff. I've learned more about WW1 these past few weeks than I probably have about WW2 or any other period of history in my life. I love how he constantly mixes in actual personal accounts from people experiencing the war with his own opinion and chronology.

danm999

Cool that the conversation turned to WW1, I've been listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History series on WW1 and I'm in love with them. Some people already mentioned his stuff here, but here's the link in case anyone's interested: http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/ the WW1 series is called "Blueprint for Armageddon".

Absolutely, 100% recommended. The guy's addictive as hell to listen to, and I've learned more about WW1 these past few weeks than I probably have about WW2 or any other period of history in my life. I love how he constantly mixes in actual accounts from people experiencing the war with his own opinion and chronology.

Hardcore History is really neat. I think Drew mentioned on a Bombcast recently he's a fan?

Holy crap people on the internet are angry about a bad Rock Band 4 preview right now. Good thing GB stays away from previews most of the time, wouldn't want these people to go after you!

Is this the Polygon article where the guy was super bored and couldn't help driving home how he was so bored and uninterested with two sentence paragraphs?

I didn't like it just because the writing was bad.

Fox318

Yeah it's really, really interesting but also really, really terrifying to read all this stuff and think how it would have been so easy for shit to go monumentally wrong in so many ways.

War has changed enough where you aren't fighting an organized nation with key people who want to stay in power so much as you are fighting religious extremists whose only goal is promoting their beliefs.

Plus the weapons that people have access to and the penchant for civilian targets as apposed to military or economic targets makes it hard for conflicts to have a target and even an end goal.

Aside from trying to completely rebuild struggling nations and getting the poor to not be likely to join well funded extremist groups there isn't really going to be a way to end religious attacks.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is this the Polygon article where the guy was super bored and couldn't help driving home how he was so bored and uninterested with two sentence paragraphs?

I didn't like it just because the writing was bad.

I just became a lot less interested in looking for more on this article.

Antiwhippy

In fact, until a bit after WWII, all European superpowers were pretty shitty.

Most countries with any developement and military power were pretty shitty honestly. Everyone trying to grab as much land as they can.

Even smaller nations still have their warlords and territory disputes.

The british were just the most successful at it.

Every 2 years or so I learn what WWI was about but then I quickly forget everything about it.

I dont know why but for whatever reason info about that war just doesnt stick with me.

If only Blackadder goes Forth went into greater detail about the political situation of the war!

Every 2 years or so I learn what WWI was about but then I quickly forget everything about it.

I dont know why but for whatever reason info about that war just doesnt stick with me.

It's so far removed from us that we don't realize what an impact it had on the course of human history, which is really sad. Younger generations are starting to have this problem with WWII as more vets and survivors pass away.

If only Blackadder goes Forth went into greater detail about the political situation of the war!

If ever there was a war that was about nothing, it's WWI.

Can anyone point me to the Bombcast around the Wii U launch (or possibly reveal) when Jeff was making the analogy about how there was "the chosen one" who would be the person to fix all of Nintendo's silly policies? They made a bunch of references to The Matrix, and Jeff commented on how this person was only just now being born.

It's hard to explain, but it made me laugh pretty hard.

Wonder when/if we get a Heroes of the Storm QL or bombcast discussion (with its real 'release'), I'd really like to hear Drew and Brad's take on it. I wish I could play DOTA, but can't commit to the game lengths anymore. HOTS seems like a decent alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom