• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

*intro music*

Jeff : Hello everyone, it's Wednesday! Welcome to the first in a new series of the Breaking News Reaction-cast!

I'm your host Jeff Gerstmann and today we have Brad and Dan in the studio, along with Austin via skype from the east coast, to talk about Fallout 4! We all knew it was coming and the trailer dropped a few hours ago. No gameplay footage but it looks real nice and ... I don't know about you guys but ... It totally looks like Fallout!

Brad : Yup

Dan : Yup!

Jeff : Okay! Austin, any thoughts as our brand new news editor?

Austin : As a Phd student I can, academically speaking, say it looks a lot like Fallout.

Jeff : Alright! That's it for today. Look out for more Reaction-casts in the future as more news breaks!

*The Breaking News Reaction-cast is brought to you by Square Space. Build it beautiful!

Hey, won't find any argument here. Infinite is one of my favorite games ever, and I think it's a milestone in gaming.

But some people just looooath it.

I thought the game was perfecly fine, enjoyed it and completed it, but I don't agree about it being a milestone in gaming, what was it for you? I feel like it didn't deliver on its premise or story at all

yo, you find me that post about chinatown wars because that person needs shaming. I enjoyed that game much more than vanilla GTA4, the story was shit but the game was fun as hell.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I finally watched the Fallout trailer. God damn, not even 2 minutes in and I see that janky as fuck run animation lololol.

Oh well, I'll still like it and this generation has taught me I'd probably rather have bad animations than overly animated animations.

jaina

its first 5 or so hours are amazing, possibly one of my favorite game experiences ever.

it's that last 8-10 hours of playing through a mediocre fps with waves and waves of enemies that was tiresome even at release. I've recommended that anyone who was even mildly interested in playing it to drop the difficulty to easy and just enjoy the ride.

at least those 2 campaign DLCs were pretty enjoyable.

Easy mode is a god's end for games with mediocre/monotonous combat.

yo, you find me that post about chinatown wars because that person needs shaming. I enjoyed that game much more than vanilla GTA4, the story was shit but the game was fun as hell.

I've never played a GTA so close to completion as Chinatown Wars.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The ride isn't even enjoyable by then. You've seen pretty much everything the game has to offer except the new and exciting ways they found to ruin the story that had promise earlier.

I thought the story fully delivered on its high concept premise. It dropped the ball in spots, notably with Ghost Mom and the Vox Populi (problematically so), but goddamn I love the atmosphere, music, aesthetic, Elizabeth, Songbird, just the way that the last hour of the game plays out. I understand why some people don't like it but I also think the backlash has made some people kiiiiind of crazy harsh on it.

Bioshock Infinite was infinitely more interesting in that first trailer than the game turned out to be.

That said, I still had a good time with it, and Songbird is best protector. Great intro and climax.

WTF is wrong with the animations in that ODST Quicklook?

Is it the game showing its age?
The GB video running at 60?
I'm going fucking crazy?

sort of
yes
not for me to judge

IIRC they did that on purpose to match the modeled faces/go for some kind of aesthetic but that doesn't make them not goofy as fuck

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They talked about the ODST weird ass face animations when the game was coming out on the Bombcast. I remember Jeff mentioning it.

The game's ugly. Always has been. Foggier than GTA IV probably.

Played through Bioshock Infinite twice during launch week without seeing people's criticisms and I loved it. Only started to doubt myself when I saw people online talking about it.

But then I realized fuck that. Those two playthroughs were amazing for me when all I had was myself and the game in those experienecs and people's criticisms online could not take away from that.

Infinite is hilarious because its idiot savant Ken Levine trying to move up from a shallow critique of Randian nonsense to the legacy of racism in America and managing to completely fall flat on his face and horribly appropriate the legacy of slavery which black America is still suffering from the effects of, while profiting from it both financially and critically to great ends, thus only cementing how pathetic it is to try and take a well to do white videogame creative director seriously when it comes to commenting on race.

Also it was a terrible shooter, mechanically. From making Elizabeth invisible to enemies to reducing all the plasmids to boring-ass AoE attack variations, it was a visually pretty yet simultaneously vapid game that should have been dumped in a bin.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I understand why some people don't like it but I also think the backlash has made some people kiiiiind of crazy harsh on it.

Infinite is hilarious because its idiot savant Ken Levine trying to move up from a shallow critique of Randian nonsense to the legacy of racism in America and managing to completely fall flat on his face and horribly appropriate the legacy of slavery which black America is still suffering from the effects of, while profiting from it both financially and critically to great ends, thus only cementing how pathetic it is to try and take a well to do white videogame creative director seriously when it comes to commenting on race.

Also it was a terrible shooter, mechanically. From making Elizabeth invisible to enemies to reducing all the plasmids to boring-ass AoE attack variations, it was a visually pretty yet simultaneously vapid game that should have been dumped in a bin.

QED

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, it's the game's own fault. Infinite does a lot of "look at this political thing in a video game" and then doesn't do anything with it. The thing a good writer would do.

Zebetite

Banned
but not better than Oblivion

it's almost as though bethesda has been putting out consistently worse games than the one before and it's almost physically impossible for me to be excited about fallout 4 at this poin-- i mean, what????????????????????? yeahhhhh FALLOUT FOUR

It's like videogames can't be just fun. They either have to be perfect or never released.

Weird times to be alive.

if critical discourse on a game at the time of its release suggests that the game is, in fact, perfect, or some approximation thereof, and then it is subsequently very, very, very far from perfect and you have been lied to across the board and now you're out sixty dollars and didn't really gain anything by playing bioshock infinite that you couldn't have gotten by spending your sixty dollars on any other trifling form of entertainment, like, say a ball in a cup

then yes, maybe it would be for the best if bioshock infinite had never come out.

HYPE!
Sv73Gk3.png

IT BEGINS!

klonere

Banned
looking forward to 2017 when I can play Fallout 4 with a variety of bug fix packs, graphics overhauls, DLC packs and comprehensive gameplay tweaks.

The odds of Obsidian getting to do the next Fallout after this are spectacularly low right?

it's almost as thought bethesda has been putting out consistently worse games than the one before and it's almost physically impossible for me to be excited about fallout 4 at this poin-- i mean, what????????????????????? yeahhhhh FALLOUT FOUR

Imagine an industry where everyone ripped off and chased after Dragon's Dogma instead of Skyrim and how much better off the medium would be right now.

Instead, well, we're getting excited for a fucking Gamebryo trash heap in 2015.

I didn't know there were people who thought Oblivion was better than any Bethesda game.

I had a missions where i was supposed to bring a dude with me to some location. I saved, came back to the game a day or two later, and the dude was gone. It was a mainline quest, i couldnt continue without taking this guy to wherever.

I was 15 hours in, and i basically bugged out of the game. Now i rotate save files and never play oblivion, that's how i fixed that issue

repeater

I don't believe this Tumblr answer from Jeff got the attention from the thread that it deserves:

Anonymous asked:Fury Road is garbage. Everything is garbage. Mediocrity passes for quality now I guess. Don't waste your time/money.
Unplug! Yoga is the only thing that matters! Sit in a dark room and consume nothing! Just be!
I can hear him doing that answer in that special parody voice. So good.

The entire Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion is great whereas I find it hard to remember anything in Skyrim. Fallout 3 had lots of memorable stuff too, great introduction, the trip into the B/W fantasy world, Megaton and the tower related to it, killing Three Dog changing the main radio station of the game and so on. Fallout New Vegas is certainly a more involved, interesting game with far more dynamic quests and factions but Fallout 3 is really fun in its own right.

The only thing I remember being disappointing about Fallout 3 was the Operation Anchorage dlc as I lived in Anchorage, Alaska when that came out and it brought nothing of the city to the game.

I didn't know there were people who thought Oblivion was better than any Bethesda game.

it was mindbending when it came out. even though it was basically a "for babies" version of Morrowind in a lot of ways, the scope and beauty of the game combined with a legitimate feeling of it being a "living" world is something that can't be overstated. by modern standards it may not be super memorable, but it's a monument to a time where Bethesda were on the bleeding edge of what a modern RPG should be

The entire Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion is great

probably my single favorite thing they've ever done in any game.

klonere

Banned
Morrowind is the best Bethesda game by a long way. Still dip in and out of it every few months to try out different stuff. The best balance between the insanity of Daggerfall and modern Bethesda design principles. No better game to get you totally immersed in a foreign, alien land while giving you near complete freedom to fuck around.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Morrowind was amazing. I remember getting into modding with that game, and though I never made anything reallly great or involved with it, I did make this sick fast travel and loot storage system. I just put a trapdoor everywhere I wanted a fast travel point on the map, and they all pointed to this massive room I built, which itself had a bunch of doors, each pointing back to one of those trapdoors. The room also had a bunch of chests to put my stuff in.

It was also fun setting up fights between different creatures to see who'd win.

ugghhhhhh Brad's already being his own worst enemy

"but I can get two hits in" if he does something 10x riskier instead of playing smart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom