• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
In the Iwata asks for the Wii they said this happened when creating miis that they didn't include darker skin tones until it was pointed out by NOA, because it just never occurred to them.

This is exactly why having a diverse workforce is very important for companies. You have more exposure to things you would never even think of. Better informed decision making. If Miis had released without dark skin tones the negative publicity would have been terrible, all over a silly but avoidable error.

Flipyap

You tried this argument in the dedicated thread (now locked) and fell flat on your face.
Well, of course I did. How couldn't I, when you stubbornly insist on sticking to your own vision of what the series is about?
I really don't know what that quote is supposed to prove. Yes, they've written down some names, yes, they've clearly referenced Slavic architecture. That doesn't affect the way the game and the novels treat Slavic folklore. Which is largely superficially and it only played an even lesser role in the books, where the most overt cultural and mythological references are clearly taken from foreign regions.
I'm also not sure why you're giving me a history lesson, when I'm talking about the way they've adapted Slavic folklore. The world of The Witcher references real world history here and there, because Sapkowski is a history buff, but it does not focus on Poland or Slavic nations.
The Witcher did not become popular because people saw themselves or their history in satirical takes on foreign fairy tales and myths.

Anyway, this thread probably isn't the best place for this.

The thread being locked should have been a hint that your ramblings weren't worthy of discussion, and instead you came and took a shit in here.

Ok that's harsher than you deserve but it seemed like a sick burn and I'm a bit grumpy this morning.

JambiBum

Enough of this Witcher talk. Let's talk about how I need the guys to do quicklooks of Lego Worlds and Ark: Survival Evolved before E3. Lego is right up Vinny's alley and Ark is right up Dan's. Ark also has the benefit of being the best survival game in a long time.

Based on the bans in that thread, I think the lock had less to do with their argument and more to do with some of the other directions the thread was going.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's like saying that Final Fantasy is preserving and breathing new life into original Indian folklore by making Shiva a hot chick with ice powers.
Saying super disrespectful things like this is in a weird way a compliment to The Witcher, because people treat it like these smooth-edged Hollywood products that went through all these sensitivity checks when it's not.
This is one of those discussions that won't lead to anything other than maybe some non-US developers thinking more about certain sensibilities, but the standpoints people come from reveals this culture clash that is quite interesting.

Enough of this Witcher talk. Let's talk about how I need the guys to do quicklooks of Lego Worlds and Ark: Survival Evolved before E3. Lego is right up Vinny's alley and Ark is right up Dan's. Ark also has the benefit of being the best survival game in a long time.

ewwwwww

yeah hopefully they can crank out those quicklooks before e3

Flipyap

Saying super disrespectful things like this is in a weird way a compliment to The Witcher, because people treat it like these smooth-edged Hollywood products that went through all these sensitivity checks when it's not.
This is one of those discussions that won't lead to anything other than maybe some non-US developers thinking more about certain sensibilities, but the standpoints people come from reveals this culture clash that is quite interesting.
Disrespectful... towards whom?
The Witcher has been using Slavic mythology the same way Final Fantasy has since long before the games came around. It's not an insult, it's just a jokey example meant to show that references don't equal cultural preservation.

Let's all instead watch this video from Uwe Boll talking about the movie industry.
I like this one better
"I wanted to do Rampage 3 because it is an important movie, but it looks like you easier giving 600,000 dollars if you make a movie about some retarded vizard in the forest."

Race the Sun is a lot of fun, and GOG's summer sale has enabled me to get Luftrausers and Paranautical Activity.

It should go without saying that Luftrausers is really, really good. I got sucked into that all last evening.

I got Race the Sun and FUTURIDIUM EP from ps+ and finally tried them out yesterday.

FUTURIDIUM EP was quickly erased from my system while i spent a good half hour crashing into falling columns in Race the Sun. so yeah, game is pretty solid for what it is.

Flipyap

I got Race the Sun and FUTURIDIUM EP from ps+ and finally tried them out yesterday.

FUTURIDIUM EP was quickly erased from my system while i spent a good half hour crashing into falling columns in Race the Sun. so yeah, game is pretty solid for what it is.
I had fun with Race the Sun as long as it kept feeding me new challenges, but it really falls apart once you reach max level. It's not a very fairly designed endless runner, so sooner or later I kept running into obstacles I simply couldn't avoid without memorizing the track, which is pretty hard when everything looks the same.

FUTURIDIUM EP met the same fate on my system. Which is a shame, because I love the look of it.

you guys should watch the Rampage movies if you haven't

they are basically the very essence of what it means to be Uwe Boll distilled down to movie form

and weirdly, they're also some of the most competent things he's ever directed

Zornack

I just realized that Brad quitting Destiny might mean that my fan fictioned Brad + Austin + Mark MacDonald + ??? E3 Destiny podcast segment might never happen. Noooooooooo!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
That was one of the dozens of videos I had in the library I was editing with, but... I just didn't think about that, haha.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone!

No worries, I doubt you went into it thinking "I'm going to make a video that perfectly describes this big dumb site".

So when was Ryan playing a Kinect game where he was cupid? Also who was punching a traffic cone on the couch and why? That one went by quick and there was a lot to process in the image.

No worries, I doubt you went into it thinking "I'm going to make a video that perfectly describes this big dumb site".

So when was Ryan playing a Kinect game where he was cupid? Also who was punching a traffic cone on the couch and why? That one went by quick and there was a lot to process in the image.

It was one of last years GOTY videos with Jason recreating all the guys with stuff around the office.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I guess this is where I admit that because I play games one to two years after release most of the time, I've dropped out of Giant Bomb GOTY content around "best story" every single year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom