• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Wait. Forreal?

Back when I was still following him he would often tweet random complaints about a product out of nowhere with the company @ in it and then never mention anything more afterward.

He would also often ask for free codes for games and stuff from all his dev friends on twitter which I guess is fine (hell... I get a lot of free stuff from my friends in the industry too) but no need to be a show off about it.

Jothel

Back when I was still following him he would often tweet random complaints about a product out of nowhere with the company @ in it and then never mention anything more afterward.

He would also often ask for free codes for games and stuff from all his dev friends on twitter which I guess is fine (hell... I get a lot of free stuff from my friends in the industry too) but no need to be a show off about it.

yep, just a couple of the reasons why I stopped following him

Dan gets weird shit like that via Twitter but I never really felt like he was looking into getting that kind of advantage... Unlike, for example, Gary Whitta who keeps using his followers number as a scare tactic against companies to get deals or whatever he wants.

So I follow probably 800-900 accounts and yeah he does that, but, it's far more common than you'd like to think within the VG community at large. Especially with airlines it seems.

Zaph

Yeah, he got really egregious with that shit. I remember seeing a deleted tweet on here basically asking for some new game.

Haven't see anything like that recently, so hopefully someone had a polite word with him. No doubt an old habit from being part of the lovely gaming magazine circuit over here which has a wonderful reputation...

Myggen

Dan gets weird shit like that via Twitter but I never really felt like he was looking into getting that kind of advantage... Unlike, for example, Gary Whitta who keeps using his followers number as a scare tactic against companies to get deals or whatever he wants.

Yeah, Dan getting companies to follow him and all of that just strikes me as him finding it to be entertaining.

Yeah it always struck me as gross. He would often delete the tweets after somebody gave him a free code, but I don't know if that makes it better or worse.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Truer words have never been spoken!
No, thanks.

Jeff did mention their stage is sponsored on his Mixlr. Lockdown is going to play, fade to black and it'll be "Del Taco Presents: Giant Bomb E3 2015".
I wouldn't mind, honestly. It's much better than Gamespot having "brought to you by The Witcher 3" before their videos. I think that is kind of fucked up.

Zaph

I wouldn't mind, honestly. It's much better than Gamespot having "brought to you by The Witcher 3" before their videos. I think that is kind of fucked up.

Yup, from Jeff's Mixlr it sounds like the live shows will have a regular sponsor wall.

If that's the case, and it's a non-endemic major sponsor, then holy shit, I'm really proud of GB. Given the style and tone of the late night shows, that can't have been an easy deal to land.

Yup, from Jeff's Mixlr it sounds like the live shows will have a regular sponsor wall.

If that's the case, and it's a non-endemic major sponsor, then holy shit, I'm really proud of GB. Given the style and tone of the late night shows, that can't have been an easy deal to land.

they had one at the fan thing at PAX South, and it was unobtrusive and helped them pay for it

win/win

Myggen

they had one at the fan thing at PAX South, and it was unobtrusive and helped them pay for it

win/win

Yeah. I haven't listened to it myself, but a poster on /r/giantbomb said that Jeff had described the sponsorship as "like they do at movie premiers, where people take pictures in front of logos", so it's probably pretty similar to the Squarespace stuff they had at that fan event.

remember the time dan and the rock tweeted each other

that

was

cool

Coldman better have the E3 thread ready for that!

i forget how this works. after e3 do we return to this thread or make a new one up?

i remember the OT being locked last year when e3 happened but i guess it might be different this year since we are in community now.

2 days until the Big Drive Live.

image.php

Myggen

i forget how this works. after e3 do we return to this thread or make a new one up?

i remember the OT being locked last year when e3 happened but i guess it might be different this year since we are in community now.

That thread got closed because we were so close to 20k posts, I think? The logical thing would probably be to just return to this thread after E3, shouldn't be any problems now that we're in Community.

FStop7

Banned
Another reason why I like Austin's editorial is it's an example of Giant Bomb itself having grown and matured over the past few years. In the past they were very quick to dismissively play the "entitled gamers" card in response to consumer based criticisms. They also beat the "vote with your wallet" drum on more than one occasion. I think this is a good indication that GB is moving beyond this and looking at things from a broader perspective. Austin isn't an "old guard" games journalist, he's not yet been to E3, etc.

It does make me miss Ryan even more, though. I think he and Austin would have had some very good discussions over this subject.

newjeruse

I've always found it silly that they release their predictions podcast after the press conferences. I get why they do it, but it's so redundant at that point.

Another reason why I like Austin's editorial is it's an example of Giant Bomb itself having grown and matured over the past few years. In the past they were very quick to dismissively play the "entitled gamers" card in response to consumer based criticisms. They also beat the "vote with your wallet" drum on more than one occasion. I think this is a good indication that GB is moving beyond this and looking at things from a broader perspective. Austin isn't an "old guard" games journalist, he's not yet been to E3, etc.

It does make me miss Ryan even more, though. I think he and Austin would have had some very good discussions over this subject.

Well said. Ryan was such a funny guy, but when discussion got real he was such an eloquent and intelligent speaker.

Listening to the chili podcast, Jeff saying that what Bethesda did to the ending of Fallout 3 made it worse is probably the strongest i've ever disagreed with him. I mean, it made zero sense that you were rolling with a super mutant who was immune to radiation and you couldn't send him in to save the day because reasons.

Beth actually made it better, they let you send him in and save the day without needlessly dying in the process.

But also the fact that they botched that ending so bad just goes to show why the should just hire Obsidian to handle their writing and scenario design because my gawd how do you fuck up so badly.

danm999

I never played FO3 pre-ending patch but I thought there was no way to send anyone at the end regardless of your companion?

There wasn't. In fact, Fawkes (a super mutant fucking perfectly suited to go in) gave you a speech about how this was your destiny and he wasn't callous enough to deny it to you.

And then they basically retconned it in Broken Steel so he'd go "yeah sure; good idea I'll go in".

And IIRC from the Broken Steel QL, the silly unearned tone shift in ending between the original ending and the Broken Steel thing was why Jeff was so pissed and felt it was worse.

yeah, in the service of letting you continue to play the game post-main quest (a huge failure in the first place), they effectively weakened an already flimsy resolution to that story

you should always have been able to keep playing after the end. the way they retconned it was clumsy

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Wasn't it an evil act to send Fawkes despite the fact that he's completely unaffected?

...God damn, Bethesda and stories. And mechanics. And general "games"

And IIRC from the Broken Steel QL, the silly unearned tone shift in ending between the original ending and the Broken Steel thing was why Jeff was so pissed and felt it was worse.

Naw, i just heard what he was bothered by, he seems to misremember the ending so he just sounds annoyed that the ending was changed but that's because he doesn't clearly remember what the changes were.

I think it's funny that Brad called Bethesda games "clockwork" in their complexity when the entire purpose of clockwork is to be complicated but predictable to a fault

in an ideal situation, Beth games are complicated and unpredictable. in reality they're fake complicated, semi-predictable, and constantly broken

Patryn

I've always found it silly that they release their predictions podcast after the press conferences. I get why they do it, but it's so redundant at that point.

They do that because Jeff talks about stuff that he knows that are embargoed until after the press conferences. Releasing it earlier would break NDAs.

It's not rocket science.

The only other way to do it would be to have Jeff not participate.

Zaph

Listening to the chili podcast, Jeff saying that what Bethesda did to the ending of Fallout 3 made it worse is probably the strongest i've ever disagreed with him. I mean, it made zero sense that you were rolling with a super mutant who was immune to radiation and you couldn't send him in to save the day because reasons.

Beth actually made it better, they let you send him in and save the day without needlessly dying in the process.

But also the fact that they botched that ending so bad just goes to show why the should just hire Obsidian to handle their writing and scenario design because my gawd how do you fuck up so badly.

I played Fallout 3 long after release, so I kinda missed any controversy (was there any?), but Broken Steel probably goes down as one of my favourite DLCs of all time because it did what I wish more games would do; show the world after the war/quest/whatever has been 'won'. Let the player see what's changed, what's fixed, what are the new problems etc.

They didn't have to update everything, but stuff like the beggar no longer asking for water was kinda cool to go back and see. I'm glad most open-world games let you go back in to finish side quests and collectables, but it's always disappointing when you realise there's absolutely no change to the environment aside from the main quest marker gone and everyone just has the exact same dialogue. Damn you peasants, acknowledge my efforts!

danm999

The main story in Fallout 3 was dumb anyway. Weak ending to a weak beginning and weak middle.

The mission where you go into the 1950s simulator was pretty great but yeah, a very weak overall plot, so much so that this has become a popular internet image;

I played Fallout 3 long after release, so I kinda missed any controversy (was there any?),

Not really, people just disliked the ending.

Not Mass Effect 3 ending dislike, more like Shadow of Mordor ending dislike.

Patryn

The one they recorded at Dave's house after being acquired by CBSi.

I think it was during the process of being acquired. We didn't know anything was going on, it was just presented as a sort of retreat, when in reality they had already closed down the basement office.

Remember that video Jeff made with John Davison after CBSi acquired Giant Bomb where they talked about the Kane and Lynch "incident"? That was kind of weird.

And then John Davison left Gamespot a couple weeks later. I wonder if Jeff knew that he was leaving or if it annoyed him? I remember looking forward to having John on GB stuff and then being really disappointed.

Patryn

Remember that video Jeff made with John Davison after CBSi acquired Giant Bomb where they talked about the Kane and Lynch "incident"? That was kind of weird.

And then John Davison left Gamespot a couple weeks later. I wonder if Jeff knew that he was leaving or if it annoyed him? I remember looking forward to having John on GB stuff and then being really disappointed.

I think it was a couple of months later.

And given that apparently it was Berman and Braun (and Jonah Hill's Giant Bomb!) or CBSi, I think he's happy with where he ended up.

Although I do think there may have been a period where he had a different view...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom