• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

I think it was during the process of being acquired. We didn't know anything was going on, it was just presented as a sort of retreat, when in reality they had already closed down the basement office.

Ah is that so

I only really remember them making some poop jokes and playing cross tekken now that I think about it.

newjeruse

They do that because Jeff talks about stuff that he knows that are embargoed until after the press conferences. Releasing it earlier would break NDAs.

It's not rocket science.

The only other way to do it would be to have Jeff not participate.
It's not rocket science, which is why I said I know why they do it. But a predictions podcast is much more interesting before the fact, not after. In fact, it's useless after.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This video?

I think it was a couple of months later.

And given that apparently it was Berman and Braun (and Jonah Hill's Giant Bomb!) or CBSi, I think he's happy with where he ended up.

Although I do think there may have been a period where he had a different view...
His beef was mostly with the people in charge back then anyway, right? I never got the impression that he had any dislike for the site itself.

Patryn

Giant Bomb is the worldwide leader for people who swore they would eat a hat but proceed to never eat a hat

I recall that somewhere in the internet in the past (I think it was SA?), there was a bet involving eating a hat. The guy actually did research and followed through. He even set rules like you couldn't do the cheeseburger on the head thing that Brad was talking about.

He ended up making a Carmen Miranda-style fruit hat, and chronicled eating all the actual pieces of it. I think he even ate the banana peel, because he said he was going to eat all of it, and the peel was part of it.

It's not rocket science, which is why I said I know why they do it. But a predictions podcast is much more interesting before the fact, not after. In fact, it's useless after.

I enjoy hearing how wrong they are.

His beef was mostly with the people in charge back then anyway, right? I never got the impression that he had any dislike for the site itself.

I think it was a very tough fight to get more money for the site. I'm guessing it didn't help that he was caught in that corporate quagmire at the same time as his Dad's health issues and Ryan passing away.

popo

Remember that video Jeff made with John Davison after CBSi acquired Giant Bomb where they talked about the Kane and Lynch "incident"? That was kind of weird.

And then John Davison left Gamespot a couple weeks later. I wonder if Jeff knew that he was leaving or if it annoyed him? I remember looking forward to having John on GB stuff and then being really disappointed.

I think it was a couple of months later.

And given that apparently it was Berman and Braun (and Jonah Hill's Giant Bomb!) or CBSi, I think he's happy with where he ended up.

Although I do think there may have been a period where he had a different view...

He left, or at least announced he was leaving, at the end of August 2012. The CBS deal was in the middle of February 2012.

So more than 6 months after doing the deal. A bit shitty but he bought them on behalf of the company - I doubt he ever promised he would be around personally in the long term - and anyone looking at his employment history post-1up can not have been surprised that he moved on.

This video?

At that point Jeff was the site. If he didn't like where it was going or any of the staff he had the power to fix that.

His beef was with management. None of who still worked at GS when he returned - it isn't even owned by the same company.

Zaph

And then John Davison left Gamespot a couple weeks later. I wonder if Jeff knew that he was leaving or if it annoyed him? I remember looking forward to having John on GB stuff and then being really disappointed.

Jeff stated a couple times that he likely wouldn't have come back to CBSi if it weren't for Davison, so I don't think he knew. Also, during that long stagnant period of the first 18 months at CBSi when they were all visibly getting fed up with the situation, Jeff alluded to not having any higher-ups looking out for them - which was most likely Davison's job.

It's all worked out pretty damn well though. Hopefully they can keep moving - more travelling please!

Weeks, months, half a year... what's the difference!

I was bummed that John left. And you're right, Zaph, I knew there was a reason I thought Jeff didn't know. Davison never stays long anywhere, which is a shame but also a bit strange. Seems like at some point people wouldn't want to hire him.

[EDIT] John left, not Jeff.

Oh, what a bummer. John works at Zynga now.

Also, his twitter bio is funny:
ixagRtB.png

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think it was a very tough fight to get more money for the site. I'm guessing it didn't help that he was caught in that corporate quagmire at the same time as his Dad's health issues and Ryan passing away.
I was talking about him leaving Gamespot. He never seemed bitter about the people working there or the site in general, only about the management running things.

edit:
Ah. You were responding to me talking about the two choices of where Giant Bomb could land after Whiskey died, so I figured you were talking about modern Gamespot. I assumed by "back then" you meant the dark period before Dan and Jason got hired.
Ah yeah,I was actually referring to the "there may have been a period where he had a different view" part

Patryn

I was talking about him leaving Gamespot. He never seemed bitter about the people working there or the site in general, only about the management running things.

Ah. You were responding to me talking about the two choices of where Giant Bomb could land after Whiskey died, so I figured you were talking about modern Gamespot. I assumed by "back then" you meant the dark period before Dan and Jason got hired.

Ah yeah,I was actually referring to the "there may have been a period where he had a different view" part

No, I actually do wonder if there was a time during that dark period where Jeff would have rather been at B&B rather than Gamespot.

Fox318

They bought Giantbomb for the engineering team because Wikia was becoming the most popular gaming site/s on the planet.

If it wasn't for Giantbomb's subs having a higher turnout than most other websites they probably would have merged or cut Giantbomb by now.

Almost every single comment on every Giantbomb news story or video is by a premium user. There aren't many websites where you could say the same, Crunchyroll may be the only exception.

Zaph

They bought Giantbomb for the engineering team because Wikia was becoming the most popular gaming site/s on the planet.

The engineering team didn't go to CBSi. They scattered, with a couple going to BermanBraun for a year. CBSi got two designers (Dave/Alexis) and Ian. The existing CBSi engineers had to reverse engineer GB and CV into php within 12 months, with very little access to the original python source because BB bought that.

Fox318

The engineering team didn't go to CBSi. They scattered, with a couple going to BermanBraun for a year. CBSi got two designers (Dave/Alexis) and Ian. The existing CBSi engineers had to reverse engineer GB and CV into php within 12 months, with very little access to the original python source because BB bought that.

That seems dumb considering that BB had no intentions of turning any of the sites into anything more than blogs.

I thought BB just acquired the equipment and PCs? Isn't that why GB had to order a ton of new gear like tricasters? Didn't Vinny complain about how in a big company he had to sign 4 release forms to get a cable instead of just billing it like he did in the Whiskey Media days?

santeesioux

Does anyone know if the talking over the E3 streams will be live on Twitch too? I can't get live GB stuff on Youtube or the GB channel on my Roku, but I can with Twitch and I'd prefer to lay around on my couch than sitting at my computer watching them.

Does anyone know if the talking over the E3 streams will be live on Twitch too? I can't get live GB stuff on Youtube or the GB channel on my Roku, but I can with Twitch and I'd prefer to lay around on my couch than sitting at my computer watching them.

It was last year, anyway

Haunted

Listening to the best of 2008 and 2009 podcast compilations, you get the impression that the cast started as a taste test/energy drink/candy taste thing.

Hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom