• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noaloha

Three excellent, recent, non-Hollywood films for you:

- Wyrmwood, an Australian zombie action film
- What We Do In The Shadows, a vampire comedy from New Zealand
- House Of Him, a slasher/horror written/directed by popular videogame Glasgow boy, Mr Rab Florence

jgminto

I wouldn't put The Raid 2 or Kingsman close to Mad Max. The Raid 2 is mostly a disappointment compared to the first and Kingsman is little more than an entertaining popcorn flick that should have been tighter than it was. I might put The Raid 1 near Fury Road in terms of an action movie that grabs hold and doesn't let go for the entire runtime, also possibly Dredd.

Xater

Three excellent, recent, non-Hollywood films for you:

- Wyrmwood, an Australian zombie action film
- What We Do In The Shadows, a vampire comedy from New Zealand
- House Of Him, a slasher/horror written/directed by popular videogame Glasgow boy, Mr Rab Florence

I am still waiting for Wyrmwood to show up on Netflix somewhere.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Though I actually haven't watched much movies recently at all honestly. Much rather spend my time with video games and cricket.

Recently watched battle royale which was pretty fun.

I wouldn't put The Raid 2 or Kingsman close to Mad Max. The Raid 2 is mostly a disappointment compared to the first and Kingsman is little more than an entertaining popcorn flick that should have been tighter than it was. I might put The Raid 1 near Fury Road in terms of an action movie that grabs hold and doesn't let go for the entire runtime, also possibly Dredd.
I think that The Raid 2 fits on that list as it's still an incredible action movie but I might agree with dropping The Kingsman, the church scene is still incredible though.

I've watched three movies this year: Interstellar, Mad Max, and Inside Out. Outside of Star Wars I don't see much else coming up that interests me. Just not a big medium for me.

My TV watching has really slowed down too. Now that Hannibal appears to be dead there won't be much of anything left on TV that I really love.

Recently watched battle royale which was pretty fun.

it's alright. some quality Beat Takeshi acting, if nothing else.

the actual best thing I can say about BR is that it helped spawn an endless parade of survival/escape movies/games/manga/anime, and even though the quality varies wildly, I'm still not tired of it yet.

for example, this one by the director of Suicide Circle has me excited
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08_h8LNYEI

Kingsman should have had like 3 more of those action scenes, but what we did get was exquisite.

Can't say I mind too much though, seeing as everything else was very well done too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
it's alright. some quality Beat Takeshi acting, if nothing else.

the actual best thing I can say about BR is that it helped spawn an endless parade of survival/escape movies/games/manga/anime, and even though the quality varies wildly, I'm still not tired of it yet.

for example, this one by the director of Suicide Circle has me excited
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08_h8LNYEI

Goddamn, even the film stock looks straight out of BR.

TraBuch

Banned
Kingsman should have had like 3 more of those action scenes, but what we did get was exquisite.

Can't say I mind too much though, seeing as everything else was very well done too.
There's honestly not one thing I'd change about that movie. Loved every minute of it.

Fury Road is up there with T2 and Aliens as far as all time classic action movies goes for me. Kingsman is good but it's not even Vaughn's best action movie.

I still need to see Dredd, I tried watching it when i was really tired but passed out hard for a solid half hour due to no fault of the film.

But yeah, FR is gonna be one of those films that people will watch for the next couple of decades when they want to see an action masterpiece. It embarrasses the pants off of trite ass shit that makes more money like AoU.

and controversial opinion: both the raid and its sequel are kinda crap. Especially R2 with its ridiculously long run time and poor pacing.

Man, didn't think I'd ever want to skip through some Ryckertcast content, but man that first half hour is kind of boring if you aren't a fan of that brand of music. I ended up following Dan's advice after the first 10 minutes or so.

Goddamn, even the film stock looks straight out of BR.

well I'd say that's more to do with the fact that it's just how modern japanese movies look, rather than a direct influence

Was Sucker Punch as bad as everyone said? I've kinda always wanted to check it out just because.

yes

it's one of those movies that has a really neat look to it but it's not even worth the effort of sitting through it to appreciate that

jgminto

I think that The Raid 2 fits on that list as it's still an incredible action movie but I might agree with dropping The Kingsman, the church scene is still incredible though.
There were some solid fight scenes but everything involving the evil henchmen was just unnecessary, the movie would have benefited from being half an hour or more shorter.

Kingsman did need more action scenes and less comic book training arcs that the movie devoted way too much time for. Also taking the time to establish the female lead and doing little of interest with her for the second half of the movie. It felt like too much of an adaptation.

Was Sucker Punch as bad as everyone said? I've kinda always wanted to check it out just because.

Sucker Punch is impressive because it has an aura of perceived intelligence and meaning at first glance but is actually completely devoid of any of those things.

Huh really?

That's pretty curious actually. How did they come to that being the standard?

I dunno. probably because it's a pretty small industry and you have a lot of the same people working on a lot of things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f_1zDfjSiE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-jOQA_8gA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXLuvZY8bMU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcVuEbnq-8Y

that kind of color space and framing and all that just shows up time and time again

Patryn

Sucker Punch strikes me as Zach Snyder had a bunch of cool visuals in mind that are slightly exploitative, so they loosely strung them together with a plot that they thought would help to subvert the exploitative elements and push forward a more female-positive narrative, but it doesn't really work out, and the framework holding these interesting visuals can't handle any weight, so the whole thing kind of collapses onto itself.

Frankly, it would have been better as either a series of short films or, more realistically, a bunch of music videos.

Fury Road handles a bunch of similar themes about a billion times better, and I'm saying that as a person who liked Mad Max, but not nearly to the degree of seemingly most people here on GAF.

"He turned into an Irish superhero."
"You could see the ghosts of his ancestors behind him like in Star Wars."
"Danny lost his damn mind that night."

We need more Danny, Dan, and Paul content. Them going to Ireland needs to be a reality show.

VXjbw.jpg

hamchan

Wow Battle Arena Toshinden 3 is rough. Was this ever on a list of best fighting games? It even came out after the release of Tekken 2.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've played a few hours of J Stars and I still have no idea what I'm doing in regards to combos

Like I don't know if it's bad or good. I can't figure it out.

Something came up on the bombcast and Jeff said something like "Speaking of admitting crimes on podcasts."

Then just now listening to the Ryckertcast there's some drunk dude at the bar that talks about seeing some man shoot a guy and they then think he admitted to killing someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom