• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I just sent a question to Brad's tumblr about the bombcast. For some reason, the bombcast always displays episode lengths in seconds only and the file size is always incorrect, usually something between 9 to 11 kilobytes. Apparently it's because you have to manually (or automatically) include those numbers to the RSS metadata or something. I hope he reads it but I might try contacting someone else from GB. It's just a bit if a bother not having a good gague on how long a episode is in my podcast app all until I play it.

This is what I'm talking about:

zYbRQby.png

3600s is 1h, it's not that hard!

Just kidding of course, but it's working for me. What player do you use?

edit: This is how it looks here with Pocketcasts:

3600s are 1h, it's not that hard!

Just kidding of course, but it's working for me. What player do you use?

DoggCatcher. On an Android phone BTW.

I contacted the creators of the app a couple of weeks ago and they explained there's nothing they can do on the the app to change the metadata but then again I don't know how podcast publishing works.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Displays fine for me on pocket casts on android

Zaph

Podcast RSS is such a weird 'standard'. Different apps, platforms and services read the elements differently, with no hard rule of how they use each bit of info, and different prioritisation of the xml data vs audio file tags.

When I made one for the NDX podcast, I got it working in the app I use and gave up jumping through all the other hoops.

I just sent a question to Brad's tumblr about the bombcast. For some reason, the bombcast always displays episode lengths in seconds only and the file size is always incorrect, usually something between 9 to 11 kilobytes. Apparently it's because you have to manually (or automatically) include those numbers to the RSS metadata or something. I hope he reads it but I might try contacting someone else from GB. It's just a bit if a bother not having a good gague on how long a episode is in my podcast app all until I play it.

This is what I'm talking about:

I've literally never had that problem with Beyondpod. Might that be a program problem?

I would probably switch to another podcast app if I didn't pay for the one I already have.

I wish Google Play had a dedicated podcast section like itunes

3rd party podcast apps are all over the place.

This. You know they would make it work with their Google magic. Hell, make a dedicated app as well.

DoggCatcher. On an Android phone BTW.

I contacted the creators of the app a couple of weeks ago and they explained there's nothing they can do on the the app to change the metadata but then again I don't know how podcast publishing works.

It's true that the podcast metadata is stored in seconds in the podcast feed. However, it's trivial to convert it to hours/minutes/seconds and display it that way inside the app. It's a bug/lack of a feature in the app you're using.

Anjin M

I would probably switch to another podcast app if I didn't pay for the one I already have.

Hey, CB. I'm a long time DoggCatcher user as well. I actually like a lot about the app, except for this very issue.

This. You know they would make it work with their Google magic. Hell, make a dedicated app as well.

I will never trust Google again after they shut down Google Reader. Those @$$holes.

Anjin M

Watching Ranking the Fighters now and man "I'll never forget this!" made me laugh.

You're just glad the prior title went away.

edit://

But he's a great fit for the podcasts so that's not even a concern.

I love Drew as fourth chair on the Bombcast, but he works best when the other three can carry the conversation. It is those instances where the conversation devolves to primarily Jeff and Brad when it doesn't quite work. Think of the Sleepy Brad days when the cast was primarily a Ryan-Jeff-Vinny conversation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When Zune pass was a thing, I had the subscribed podcasts on Zune and it just would put the newest one on my Zune HD whenever I connected it.

Man, I miss my Zune.

When Zune pass was a thing, I had the subscribed podcasts on Zune and it just would put the newest one on my Zune HD whenever I connected it.

Man, I miss my Zune.

Hell yeah. Zune Pass blew my mind when my dad gave me his Zune when he bought an iPhone. I even got a fucking Windows 7 phone because I liked Zune Pass so much. It's kinda crazy how ahead of the curb Microsoft was on that and how poorly they capitalized on it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You should file a bug with your app. They misspell "June".

:p
No it's the official name, Capcom said so.
I always think it's kind of funny how half-assed the multi-lingual support is in a lot of things. sure, it'll say "Juni" but then also say "Played Episodes"
I think that's the only not-English thing in the app. Nothing is as bad with that stuff as the Xbox interface, though.
I just download the file and transfer the .mp3 to my phone like a normal person.
...from the 90s, maybe.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Everyone tells me to just use my phone, but the phone is so fucking slow and I liked the zune because I could just plug it into my car and forget about it, and it would pick up where I left off.

Using the phone I have to unlock the screen, scroll to the shortcut, launch the shortcut(which usually takes too long) and then find the music and Zune was WAY snappier at doing that.

My phone automatically connects to my car via bluetooth, and I just hit the play button on the stereo to start my podcast. And because I use Pocket Casts, I can play it from my computer when I get home and it will continue from where I left off.

Well, except when it doesn't sync, but that's getting better.

Beyondpod still best in my experience. Recently updated interface with a simple set up for connecting to the various feeds, then press one button to download everything while you wait. It just works, and I've never had a problem with it.

mattp

I just go to the website and download or stream. All this software seems like extra hassle for a small reward yield.

but...installing software once and having it autodownload my stuff for my every week from now is way less hassle than manually downloading and transfer files each week lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom