• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falifax

Can second that time hasn't treated Nirvana well but I always fire up my Live at the Paramount blu-ray at least twice a year.

Kamen Rider is better than all the Team Sentai shit. yup yup

Ultraman is still king, but you're not wrong here

As expected, GB and Tool fans in the comments are reacting with reason to Dan disliking Tool.

you know what, I think Undertow is a pretty rad album and I don't really feel bad about saying that

but I refuse to align myself with Tool fans because Tool fans are the worst

Ok, I'm going all in on you non-nirvana folks by telling you you need to see Montage of Heck.

Nirvana was a moment, it was pretty much 3-4 years of every teenager in the country looking up to a bunch of ragtag misfits from Seattle who never tuned their guitars right and embarrassed the remains of the hair metal excessively glamourous bullshit bands from the 80s by sounded harder than they ever did. The documentary did a really great job of not just capturing Nirvana as they rose from nothing into a moment in time, it's also like discovering a time capsule that either reminds or introduces the viewer to what the late 80s and early 90s were like in the states. Mind you, it doesn't cover the other musical revolution that was coming up through Southern California, that Compton west coast rap era that deserves similar recognition butttttt it's still a documentary worth viewing if only to gather some perspective as to why the band is so well regarded.

If you watch it and still don't like them then find an egg and suck on it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
But I watched Thurston Moore 'embarrass the remains of hair metal bands' long before Nirvana did it.

also Mother Love Bone was glam-y and still doing grunge-esque music and moving into grunge before Nirvana was a thing. Vedder's been on it forever.

Myggen

you know what, I think Undertow is a pretty rad album and I don't really feel bad about saying that

but I refuse to align myself with Tool fans because Tool fans are the worst

I have never understood why Tool has always attracted such an angry fan base. It might be the worst fan base of any act out there, in terms of believing that anyone who doesn't like what they like are fucking idiots.

AcridMeat

Banned
This video is quintessential Nirvana for me. Where they were supposed to play Smells Like Teen Spirit but instead played Territorial Pissings because it was way shorter and they wanted to get the fuck out of there.

But I watched Thurston Moore 'embarrass the remains of hair metal bands' long before Nirvana did it.

I never really had anything against Nirvana (except that I think Nevermind is an overproduced and under-inspired album), but at the time when they were "huge" it's not like they were the only game in town

I'm old enough to have kind of seen alt-rock kind of bubble up from the fringes so Nirvana's appearance wasn't necessarily a life-changing experience, even if their eventual popularity did kind of change the landscape entirely

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm always impressed how long Vedder, Grohl, and Cornell have stuck around and remained relevant in music. Surely no one would have thought those guys were still selling out arena shows and doing major motion picture soundtracks past the 90s.

Foo Fighters is the most boring rock band ever created though.

I have never understood why Tool has always attracted such an angry fan base. It might be the worst fan base of any act out there, in terms of believing that anyone who doesn't like what they like are fucking idiots.

it's this perfect storm of music that's technically competent but also accessible. it's dumbass angst music that paraphrases Jung. it's the hard rock equivalent of a community college intro to psych class.

Undertow (and Aenima to an extent) holds up because at that point they hadn't totally dropped the ruse of being a "smart" version of Helmet and it's enjoyable on its own merits as an aggressive hard rock/metal thing

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I went to see cornell in 2009 after the release of that album and the live versions of some of those songs were actually pretty good.

Edit: To clarify, that's relative of course. I very much dislike that album.

You guys need some learning in your life.

A Short History of Nearly Everything. Go read it, fantastic writing about a ton of sciencey things.

Does bill discuss the science behind tool being poo

tchocky

Finished MGScanlon 3.

Great game, liked it more than 2 i think. When is 4 coming!?!

Most likely late June or early July after E3 and GB moving floors. That should give them enough time before MGS5 the only delay could come when Dan goes to Ireland before Gamescom if that is still happening.

Egg0

Banned
For the longest time, I never knew that APC and Tool had the same vocalist. I like old APC, but I have never even entertained the thought of listening to Tool.

I'm ok with that.

Bacon

I actually didn't know what website to go or what to do when gaf was down. It made me think I have to reevaluate a few things in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom