• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

Nah, everyone said at the time they were fine with Patrick staying in Chicago. Patrick wanted to be closer to 100% writing and do less video, IIRC.

It feels like everything is tending towards video though. Or at the least, just writing isn't enough to get by anymore, you need to do more. Think they talked about this on a recent Beastcast.

Luckily, Patrick's got that on-camera experience, and he's producing podcasts and videos as well. He'll probably be fine.

So, his response to all this must definitely not be sitting well with you.

Like mentioned, it does seem like a cop out response. He's seemingly oblivious to something happening within his sphere, and before where he would talk against a news site outing a gay person without their permission and abetting blackmail, all he has to say is 'I'm going to turn off twitter before I say something I regret.'.

Yeah it's his paycheck he'd be speaking out against, and I feel he would really say something about it, but it goes against what he stands for.

kingocfs

Best to not make an emotional statement publicly about it before thinking it through. Don't want to risk how you're providing for your family. Don't want to risk pissing off potentially tens of thousands of people and damage your career. Sometimes it's rational and ok to play the fence or not play at all, at least for now.

Yeah, no problem with him playing it close to the chest here. It's not like he wrote the article or decided to publish it. Or was involved in any way whatsoever.

LiK

Like mentioned, it does seem like a cop out response. He's seemingly oblivious to something happening within his sphere, and before where he would talk against a news site outing a gay person without their permission and abetting blackmail, all he has to say is 'I'm going to turn off twitter before I say something I regret.'.

Yeah it's his paycheck he'd be speaking out against, and I feel he would really say something about it, but it goes against what he stands for.

it's his livelihood at stake. it's understandable. we shouldn't gripe about that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I feel like the giantbomb guys made fun of CBS with little to no regard.

Different kettle of fish though, compared to a site actively publishing blackmail.

I feel like the giantbomb guys made fun of CBS with little to no regard.

Different kettle of fish though, compared to a site actively publishing blackmail.

In that other thread, someone mentioned that all gawker media employees(I believe it extends to Kotaku) are now unionized, so he really wouldn't be threatened for his job if he spoke out against it.

In that other thread, someone mentioned that all gawker media employees(I believe it extends to Kotaku) are now unionized, so he really wouldn't be threatened for his job if he spoke out against it.

Maybe he would be protected legally, but you don't get off scot free for doing that kind of thing.

Patrick and Jason would probably find jobs quickly, they are one of the few actual journalist in the industry. The others might take awhile longer, even Totilo might struggle if he doesn't want to take a demotion simply because games press is a shrinking industry.

Although Tina joining the Beast Crew would be awesome.

I was just over in the thread about the article and someone pointed out that the guy involved with this is the CEO of the company that owns Reddit and Gawker has been blasting Reddit all week for the drama over there. Did they run this story because of Reddit? If so, yikes? That's a pretty vindictive thing to do.

Patrick and Jason would probably find jobs quickly, they are one of the few actual journalist in the industry. The others might take awhile longer, even Totilo might struggle if he doesn't want to take a demotion simply because games press is a shrinking industry.

I think it'd be cool (provided they ever did leave) if Patrick and Jason would start up their own website. I really feel the two of them do some of the best work in the video game industry.

I was just over in the thread about the article and someone pointed out that the guy involved with this is the CEO of the company that owns Reddit and Gawker has been blasting Reddit all week for the drama over there. Did they run this story because of Reddit? If so, yikes? That's a pretty vindictive thing to do.

CFO. And Reddit notwithstanding, Conde Nast is a direct competitor of Gawker. It's just super scummy all around.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I thought you were talking about Awe-striker for a minute and thought "what...?"

Site isn't loading for me :(

CBS must be broken again. I just tried to refresh my podcasts on iTunes to see if I had any new podcasts, and all the GB related ones have that error symbol (a circle with an exclamation mark in it).

Edit- Whoops. Double post.

Edit 2- Seems to be just Giant Bomb. All the other CBSi sites load fine.

Zaph

Gawker go after their direct competition all the time, it's pathetic. The same author of that article posted another yesterday about a stupid Vox article and tried to take the moral high ground. You can't make this shit up.

Totilo really needs to ask himself if he's happy with his Kotaku writers posting any more negative articles about Reddit (or any direct competition), considering how far his bosses are willing to go.

zeshakag

Beastcast has been relegated to the K league for their poor Rocket League performance.

Beastcast will be known as Kittycast starting now into the foreseeable future.

We stopped talking about the new hire when you asked. We ask that you do the same for us right now.

Seriously, let's not give that crap any more breathing space here.

I was only kidding. That being said, Gawker's the second-most trending topic in the world right now, so the whole breathing space thing is kind of shot.

New TVs takes time to ship man.

Too bad the private cross-platform matches are not working yet. That would've made things easier. One of them could've been on a PC with a controller. When that does happen, I'd like to see them try 4v4. Maybe add Drew for GBWest and (I guess) Jeff Bakalar for GBEast.

Indignate

Too bad the private cross-platform matches are not working yet. That would've made things easier. One of them could've been on a PC with a controller. When that does happen, I'd like to see them try 4v4. Maybe add Drew for GBWest and (I guess) Jeff Bakalar for GBEast.

Do we not like Jeff Bakalar or is this more of a "he's not really a part of GB" thing?

Do we not like Jeff Bakalar or is this more of a "he's not really a part of GB" thing?

The latter. I couldn't think of anyone else that would make sense for that fourth spot. While he's only done the Beastcast with them (almost every episode, I think), that instantly makes him the officially unofficial fourth member of Team GBEast, right? I'm sure GBWest (mainly Dan) would try to protest.

Joeku

yeah_eddie_murphy.gif

styl3s

Probably a downer thought process, but if Gawker (and Kotaku with it) goes down, what will Patrick do?
I'm sure he could get a job at any gaming site in a snap of a finger.

Honestly i think if he went the Patreon route he would be ok and i would prefer it because a lot of shit he does on Kotaku feels like meeting the quote type shit. I haven't been to Kotaku or a Patrick post since i saw him make a post that was just gif and nothing else... But Kotaku isn't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom