• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power Stone and Smash Bros are very much fighting games =/

2536312-2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Because it came out in a year where there were 20 better fighting games, it was on a system nobody cared about and it's mediocre.

I was too busy playing Smash Bros which came out about a month prior.

opinions and all, since you enjoy smash bros - but I knew of it and enjoyed it greatly

So every fighting game has to use the Street Fighter 2 system of beating up the other guy until his health runs out or the timer reaches 0?

daydream

Banned
not that i'm invested in this debate, at all, but i would consider smash a fighting game and power stone an arena brawler, instinctively

Every now and again I go into the Smash Brothers thread and see tons of jargon for character moves and abilities so I'm pretty sure it's a fighting game. And whenever I go online I get wrecked so definitely a fighting game :p

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Fighting game = any game where two human-controlled characters fight, with the defeat of the other players being the core objective.

Boom

Disagree. Boxing and MMA games are sports sims (at least in general), not fighting games. Both are centered around 1v1 fighting of some sort, but are not fighting games.

Boxing games are fighting games. That's like calling Project CARS not a racing game.

If you're fighting it's a fighting game. Genres are already super broad, it's not a big deal.

Honestly, the whole "but it's not a fighting game" stuff stinks of elitism. Which is hilarious when the same parties that trot out that line look at Vs. and go "YEAH THAT'S COOL"

Disagree. Boxing and MMA games are sports sims (at least in general), not fighting games. Both are centered around 1v1 fighting of some sort, but are not fighting games.

I probably don't see eye to eye with the FGC about this but I think fighting games and combat sports sim games are not exclusive from each other. They're just sim vs arcade versions of the same thing.

OK for real, I was broad as fuck there, but honestly I feel like it applies. Unless it obviously, OBVIOUSLY is some other genre (like an FPS), that could well be a fighting game.

Like Catherine.

Yeah I was just poking fun at you, but really I so don't care about genre labels. I don't know why Jeff gets so hung up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom