• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that i'm super late to this train but Galak-Z looks so damn good. I think i'll hold off for the PC release since the framerate seems to fluctuate a bit too much for me on the PS4 but that's going to be a hard wait.

Patryn

I think it's time for Mario Party Party 5. We've waited long enough.

I never thought we'd see the day where we'd be complaining that they've started too many series, but here we are.

At this point they have so many balls in the air, it's hard to service them all.

Breaking Brad, Metal Gear Scanlon, Old Games Show, Demo Derby, Encyclopedia Bombastica, VinnyVania, GBE Playdate: Contradiction, Blight Club (which I don't think they've done a single episode of outside of the BLLSL), Ranking of Fighters, Mario Party Party, Giant Bomb Unplugged...

They seriously have a ridiculous number of "active" video series at the moment.

Myggen

people fucking slept on Killer Mike, man

Killer Mike's solo work generally had mediocre production (with some exceptions) before he teamed up with El-P, that's why people slept on him. Always been a really good MC, but the production always held him back up until R.A.P. Music.

I was a fan way befoe Run The Jewels. I'm so cool.

Seriously though, R.A.P. Music and the Grind trilogy > Run The Jewels 1 and 2.

God I hate El-P's voice.

This is one of those "wrong opinions" I've heard so much about.

I never thought we'd see the day where we'd be complaining that they've started too many series, but here we are.

At this point they have so many balls in the air, it's hard to service them all.

Breaking Brad, Metal Gear Scanlon, Old Games Show, Demo Derby, Encyclopedia Bombastica, VinnyVania, GBE Playdate: Contradiction, Blight Club (which I don't think they've done a single episode of outside of the BLLSL), Ranking of Fighters, Mario Party Party, Giant Bomb Unplugged...

Yeah, when I compiled the list of ongoing video features in the OP I realized just how many active features they've got.

Patryn

You know, having made that list (and forgot Jar Time), I realized that I'd be willing to trade UPF for most of those features.

I understand the appeal of UPF for the crew in that it's much more of a low maintenance show (I'm assuming the bulk of the work is ensuring that the needed systems are hooked up), but UPF tends to have a much higher miss ratio than the other features.

I suppose the counter argument is that there's been so many more UPFs, but whatever.

UPF still provides the highest of high points for all of its 'boring' moments.

Also, I'm probably the only one, but I get a kick out of the nonchalant way Jeff introduces (or doesn't introduce) the show.

Megasoum

Banned
You know, having made that list (and forgot Jar Time), I realized that I'd be willing to trade UPF for most of those features.

I understand the appeal of UPF for the crew in that it's much more of a low maintenance show (I'm assuming the bulk of the work is ensuring that the needed systems are hooked up), but UPF tends to have a much higher miss ratio than the other features.

I suppose the counter argument is that there's been so many more UPFs, but whatever.

I agree

Also I'd kill the ranking of fighters cause personally I think it's just a snorefest but that's me... At least I'm happy that Jeff finally does a regular premium feature other than UPF.

Zaph

Problem is, they're mostly GBWest. GBeast has Contradiction (which is only a couple more videos) and VinnyVania (which is bad and never should have gone on this long). They need more on-going projects. It's probably because they don't have a 'Dan' - someone who's just constantly thinking of entertaining stuff to do, Vinny's kinda like that but he has a lot on his plate as the only video/audio producer.

Myggen

UPF vs. "everything else" on a Friday is probably a false choice. UPF is weekly because it's so easy to produce. Also, UPF has been really solid lately.

Patryn

safe to say that Unplugged, as it last stood, is deader than dead. That series Farmville'd at the end

I'd almost be inclined to agree, but I don't feel totally comfortable calling it dead until we hit 6 months without an entry.

Of all the series I listed, I honestly think Blight Club is the most dead, given that we are months out from the BLLSL and they've never bothered to even do a single episode of it.

Patryn

Unplugged works best not for something like D&D, but the one-off games like Avalon. Those less structured party games allow for more interplay and quick riffing.

Problem is, they're mostly GBWest. GBeast has Contradiction (which is only a couple more videos) and VinnyVania (which is bad and never should have gone on this long). They need more on-going projects. It's probably because they don't have a 'Dan' - someone who's just constantly thinking of entertaining stuff to do, Vinny's kinda like that but he has a lot on his plate as the only video/audio producer.
Blight Club is going to start any day now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also, watching the demo derby again, and the one question that is left burning in my mind is where did bucket hats go?

kai3345

Banned
While I agree that the Mike/EL-P team works best with EL sticking solely to producing, El is still a great rapper and both RTJ records are excellent. But yeah R.A.P. Music is still the best thing to come from that duo

I agree

Also I'd kill the ranking of fighters cause personally I think it's just a snorefest but that's me... At least I'm happy that Jeff finally does a regular premium feature other than UPF.

I think Ranking of Fighters would be more interesting if they played two or three games per episode instead of one. The list would fill faster, and they could compare and contrast the games in a more meaningful way.

Unplugged works best not for something like D&D, but the one-off games like Avalon. Those less structured party games allow for more interplay and quick riffing.

They should have just shifted through playing all the random games people were sending into the office. Who doesn't want to watch Dan, Jeff and Jason compete in wrestling trivia?

Patryn

I think Ranking of Fighters would be more interesting if they played two or three games per episode instead of one. The list would fill faster, and they could compare and contrast the games in a more meaningful way.

I agree. 2 hours for Toshinden 3 seemed a mite excessive. I'd limit each game to a single hour.

Have they? I feel like it hasn't even come up since the BLLSL.

Ah. I thought you were saying that they recently said something about it.

That's kind of what I was referencing, that they said it was imminent during the BLLSL. I don't recall anything since then.

hamchan

I want to see Dan on Ranking of Fighters so he can eternally torment Jason. I also want to see a Top Gear like leaderboard where they just slot in a piece of paper to keep track of the rankings. This whiteboard ain't gonna last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom