• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god, I somehow just saw that Sean Price died a few days ago...I'm unbelievably depressed right now. One of the best rappers ever and in my top five. Will do nothing but listen to every Heltah Skeltah and Sean Price solo album today...

I felt bad about it because the last thing I heard him on was Rare Chandeliers and I thought his verse on that was kind of lame.

Dude had the best song on the GTA III soundtrack, though.

Xater

Weird narrative the duders have in mind whil etalking about Kameo. I liked Kameo but it was just another one of those games. PDZ sucked though. By that point FPS games have moved on and it just played like a Rare shooter which was totally inadequate at that time.

Weird narrative the duders have in mind whil etalking about Kameo. I liked Kameo but it was just another one of those games. PDZ sucked though. By that point FPS games have moved on and it just played like a Rare shooter which was totally inadequate at that time.
From my memory PDZ is actually more clunky than PD, mainly due to the weird cover system.

From my memory PDZ is actually more clunky than PD, mainly due to the weird cover system.

PD's controls were designed to compensate for the shortcomings of the n64 controller, etc, so while it's still a little awkward, it's playable after some adjustment.

something the video doesn't convey is just how poorly PDZ actually controls. nothing feels good about it. it's like playing a shooter with oven mitts on.

repeater

So given that it appears to lack the important Jeff vote, should we rule out Sakura Clicker already as a serious contender for Best Clicker in the GB GOTY 2015 considerations?

Megasoum

Banned
Jeff Gerstmann
‏@jeffgerstmann
Kiiiiiiinda freaking out while watching this Super Mario Maker overview Nintendo put out. This looks so, so great.

It's great to see Jeff so hyped for a game.

Edit: Wait.. You have to wait 9 real life days before you have access to everything in the editor? That is fucking dumb...

hamchan

Mario Maker might be my GOTY if it's made correctly and I can truly get never ending Mario 1-3 + World levels.

It'll basically be the last 2D Mario game I'll ever need until Nintendo innovates on the formula again.

repeater

Giant Bomb #16 | The Gold Standard of Nuts

I would NOT have anticipated a GB discussion of different varieties of nuts to get so.. granular
The duders slyly reaching out to get back into that sweet Naturebox money?

Motherfuck I forgot that Rare Replay has Nuts & Bolts as well as Viva Pinata. I remember people getting PISSED that N&B wasn't another platformer, there's a pretty prominent Youtuber with a hilariously bad rant video shitting all over that game because it wasn't another collectathon.

Reinstalling Viva Pinata on PC now and probably going to make that my new podcast game.

Volotaire

It's great to see Jeff so hyped for a game.

Edit: Wait.. You have to wait 9 real life days before you have access to everything in the editor? That is fucking dumb...

Hopefully by tinkering with the Wii U clock you can unlock it. But yes, it's unnecessary. If they want this type of unlocking system, create it as an option for children. Even then, it's over obstructive.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Motherfuck I forgot that Rare Replay has Nuts & Bolts as well as Viva Pinata. I remember people getting PISSED that N&B wasn't another platformer, there's a pretty prominent Youtuber with a hilariously bad rant video shitting all over that game because it wasn't another collectathon.

Reinstalling Viva Pinata on PC now and probably going to make that my new podcast game.

Great game. Fuck Banjo and Kazooie. Nuts and Bolts 4 lyf

But seriously that game was way ahead of its time. The best game Rare have made, just edging Goldeneye.

Megasoum

Banned
Hopefully by tinkering with the Wii U clock you can unlock it. But yes, it's unnecessary. If they want this type of unlocking system, create it as an option for children. Even then, it's over obstructive.

This is really the most "Nintendo" design decision I've seen in a long time.

daydream

Banned
it's not entirely arbitrary, though. it's pretty much following the same spirit as splatoon, trickling out content so that you tinker with what you got and try out stuff you would gloss over otherwise

i think it's a noble and interesting idea (the idea of limitation to incite a deeper appreciation of fundamental tools/mechanics, that is) but i can't bring myself to defend it in this particular instance, mainly because nine days does not really seem like a long enough period to have any impact, at all, and at the very least, it's a pretty poor strategical decision cause you just know some people will irrationally latch on to this minor annoyance. so yeah, bad call.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel like practically all walking simulators are incredibly boring by nature of all of them having nothing going on in the world, be that due to how long it would take to put AI in or stylistic choice. But to me, 90% of what makes a world feel like a world in a game is either the people(GTA V) or what the people of the past did(Landmarks in AC games)

And the world is usually more interesting than the story being told. If I'm walking through your world, I want to be entranced by it like in Cradle. Shit, I think walking around the park in the Kinect Disneyland game is more interesting than Rapture.

it's not entirely arbitrary, though. it's pretty much following the same spirit as splatoon, trickling out content so that you tinker with what you got and try out stuff you would gloss over otherwise

i think it's a noble and interesting idea (the idea of limitation to incite a deeper appreciation of fundamental tools/mechanics, that is) but i can't bring myself to defend it in this particular instance, mainly because nine days does not really seem like a long enough period to have any impact, at all, and at the very least, it's a pretty poor strategical decision cause you just know some people will irrationally latch on to this minor annoyance. so yeah, bad call.
I would be fine if they allowed you to unlock them through making a certain number of maps, but having a timer is pretty silly.

Noaloha

Kiddie tech question.

Upgraded to Win10 and things are diiiiifferent! Wah.

The GB player doesn't show up for me on Chrome. I've never had to care about the specifics of the player before. I'm guessing this is because it requires a certain runtime or something installed on my PC? :/ Does the player require me to install Flash or some shit?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
lol Drew nearly fucks up that bit at the start of act 4

MGScanlon 4 is the best one easily. Drew actually appears to be enjoying himself

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
People love Ocelot finger banging but the last 3rd of act 4 is my personal Favourite stupid part of the game.

Act 3 is where the game begins its descent into parody. 4 builds on that with the boat etc. Then there is that fucking Mr and Mrs Smith bullshit and the rest of that shitshow in act 5.

EDIT: Episode 11 I can't blame Drew over the dwarf gekkos. They suck as opponents because there isn't the inherent logic you have from MGS guards. Their limitations are never explained or presented. Bad game design.

erawsd

Kiddie tech question.

Upgraded to Win10 and things are diiiiifferent! Wah.

The GB player doesn't show up for me on Chrome. I've never had to care about the specifics of the player before. I'm guessing this is because it requires a certain runtime or something installed on my PC? :/ Does the player require me to install Flash or some shit?

Its working for me, chrome has flash built in so I dont think thats your issue.

In fact, I have a whole new appreciation for the Giantbomb (and twitch) player. I recently discovered Application shortcuts in Chrome that let you create browser windows without all the dressing, its just the title bar and the content, which is awesome for watching youtube, Giantbomb, and twitch picture-in-picture style while I'm working/playing something else. What I love about the Giantbomb player is that the video scales with the window size, the youtube player doesnt so it always has to be a fixed size and I have to readjust the horizontal/vertical scroll with every video.

DamnBoxes

Fighters_destiny_box.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom