• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like tomorrow will be a loooooooooong one (going by Dan mentioning going to get popcorn before they start). If so, tomorrow will be the final episode. Also, the in game camera's pictures were time stamped as 8/13/15. That same day, Drew tweeted they finished the game. So, I think it's likely tomorrow is, in fact, the MGS4 finale.

Sounds like tomorrow will be a loooooooooong one (going by Dan mentioning going to get popcorn before they start). If so, tomorrow will be the final episode. Also, the in game camera's pictures were time stamped as 8/13/15. That same day, Drew tweeted they finished the game. So, I think it's likely tomorrow is, in fact, the MGS4 finale.

Unless they take a break in the middle of the ending cutscene then tomorrow should be it.

I am pretty sure the cutscenes + credits after the final boss push 90 minutes on their own. Its going to be +2 hours minimum.

Unless they take a break in the middle of the ending cutscene then tomorrow should be it.

I am pretty sure the cutscenes + credits after the final boss push 90 minutes on their own. Its going to be +2 hours minimum.

Aren't the finales typically longer than usual anyways? Remember when they did MGS1's finale live?

-Kees-

The latest Metal Gear episode...for better and for worse there's really nothing else like it. Here's this scene were they're laying out how they're going to stop Liquid and you can mess with the projector and Johnny is creeping on Mei Ling. And then dancing to J-Pop. And taking pictures of the boss while she poses. And flashes of a Dualshock 3 controller.

I've played all the main MGS games and don't really have very strong feelings either way on them but I kind of admire how little restraint they show. Whatever weird thing they're going for they go for it without a care in the world.

The latest Metal Gear episode...for better and for worse there's really nothing else like it. Here's this scene were they're laying out how they're going to stop Liquid and you can mess with the projector and Johnny is creeping on Mei Ling. And then dancing to J-Pop. And taking pictures of the boss while she poses. And flashes of a Dualshock 3 controller.

I've played all the main MGS games and don't really have very strong feelings either way on them but I kind of admire how little restraint they show. Whatever weird thing they're going for they go for it without a care in the world.
Their playthrough has raised my perception of MGS4 a lot because it has been 7 years since I played it and I forgot huge parts of it. There's really nothing like that game and (I know about the plot holes and not everything is perfect) it's really a love letter to the series and the player. The amount of care and thought in that game is staggering compared to a lot of games and series of that generation.

I think Act 4 is sort of a masterpiece and the game as a whole puts its protagonist through as much as any game I've ever played while being a pretty incredible sendoff and salute to everything that made Snake what he was.
Screaming Mantis fight turned out to be way more entertaining than I expected. They're trying everything XD
Yep, I really enjoyed them puzzling that out.

- J - D -

Man, I had forgotten how fucking weird the screaming mantis post-fight scenes were. Here you're snapping pics of this model with your camera, and in between the j-pop, the dancing, and the posing you can still hear screaming and crying in the background, reminding just how fucked up this whole sequence is.

Then you have a particular returning character who shows up just as a humorous call back to the first game and NOTHING ELSE, not serving the plot in any way. It always bothered me, because among all the other callbacks/references to past games that show up in this game, the incredibly indulgent, protracted one right after the screaming mantis fight always stuck out to me as the most forced and the most telling example that Kojima does not understand restraint.

And then mere moments after it's done you get a call from Drebin to tell you once again how damaged these girls are, and you get tonal whiplash harder than my eyes roll everytime Drebs goes into these little stories.

MGS4 in a nutshell. All within 10 minutes.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I've said it before but because dan mentioned protecting natalya in goldeneye, I would love for them to do a 00 agent run through goldeneye as a breaking ____ series.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thank god I tailored my steam wishlist in such a way that it immediately informed me about the 2 anime sexy beach games released today.

Priorities.

Jintor

It's such a huge contrast to the way bosses were handled in earlier games too (well, the Cobras are closer/more disposable but they're not sexy ladies I guess).

Drebin I think could've been cooler if they'd actually used him in a more interesting way, but he's kinda like Naomi except he doesn't even tie back to the first game. He just shows up, does stuff because reasons, and then continues to do stuff because reasons. At least Kojima doesn't pretend you actually give a damn about him.

I didn't remember how awkward this Mei Ling scene is. Johnny was barely able to resist the urge to grab her ass, and only because Meryl physically stopped him, what the hell was that?

Jintor

Speaking of Mei Ling, when they flashed back briefly to MGS1 I was reminded of how weirdly evocative that whole style is. They really made some magic happen with that first game that I don't know if they ever fully recaptured *that*.

They made some other stuff that was pretty cool though.

I also understand why they changed her accent and it kind of didn't make sense in terms of her being actually raised in Cali (her new voice actor actually still has a way more reduced asian accent! You can kind of hear it!) but I miss her old voice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom