• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious about the lore. I know there's the fall of reach book but I believe that stuff got retconned when halo reach came out and then there's the anime, a movie?, and nightfall. So there's a buttload of lore to get into if I want to prep myself for halo 5.

This must be what being a latecomer to mgs feels like.

In general I thought the Lore from Halo 1 through till Reach was solid but with Halo 4 they started getting bogged down with all of the Forerunner stuff and I lost any of the little interest that I had.

I don't think that the Reach book was retconned, I don't think that any of the events in the game really touch on the stuff in the book. I'm pretty sure that the anime is non cannon and I think that a lot of the books are cannon and there's a stupid amount of Halo books now. So if you're actually going to attempt to look into the lore you're probably better off just reading the Halo wiki or something.

I did some reading about Halo lore a while back (having only ever played the games and not really giving a damn about the story since 3), and it seemed like they went deep up the asshole of progenitor races in the same way that every other sci-fi game series does. I think there was something about
human civilization living alongside Forerunners and then, like, devolving back to a tribal state for hundreds of thousands of years.

I did some reading about Halo lore a while back (having only ever played the games and not really giving a damn about the story since 3), and it seemed like they went deep up the asshole of progenitor races in the same way that every other sci-fi game series does. I think there was something about
human civilization living alongside Forerunners and then, like, devolving back to a tribal state for hundreds of thousands of years.
Yeah, I was just listening to the crew ranting on asscreed, mass effect, and halo 4 all essentially having the same core story to them in a late 2012 podcast. Sucks that halo went down that route but, hey, maybe with halo 5 they walk that back

LiK

Yeah, I was just listening to the crew ranting on asscreed, mass effect, and halo 4 all essentially having the same core story to them in a late 2012 podcast. Sucks that halo went down that route but, hey, maybe with halo 5 they walk that back

i'm guessing some of the backlash about the story influenced them. altho i do want the story to finally be resolved in Halo 5 so we can move on.

I doubt 5 will walk it back, odds are 5 won't be as focused on it as much because of the whole hunting the Chief thing but I'm sure 6 will go back to being focused on the forerunner stuff.

Jams775

Drew did a fantastic job on the Bow part on the latest MGScanlon. On hard difficulty, you cannot get through that door due to so many respawning frogs and gecko. When the alarm is set off, the alert never goes down so you have to start over again. You have to do it stealthily. Possibly the second worst part of the game for me.

Next part will be long (around 2 hours) and make for great popcorn watching. I can't wait for his reactions.

Does mgs4 have a bit of dynamic difficulty? I noticed in shadow mosses where the tank is with all those hand things they didn't respawn for him but when I did it they kept respawning. The same with the room with trap doors and that bow level. I killed those geckos but they kept respawning.

LiK

I've only played halo 1 and it just seems like generic sci-fi to me.

I tend to prefer my sci-fi to be weird though.

it was heavily influenced by Aliens but definitely starts having its own identity in the sequels. didn't feel generic to me when i played it as a kid tho. if you want weird, play Halo 2.

FluxWaveZ

I played Halo 1 and Halo 3 and I just couldn't get into it. Of course I'm an outlier, given its popularity, but the characters, story and world were just real boring to me.

demidar

The All-Story almost won the PLEASE STOP category of the 2012 GotY awards.

I played Halo 1 and Halo 3 and I just couldn't get into it. Of course I'm an outlier, given its popularity, but the characters, story and world were just real boring to me.

I think the games have some interesting ideas but they never really explore them a whole lot and the stuff they did decide to explore was just generic ancient alien stuff. I totally agree that the characters are all kind of boring, the Arbiter was interesting and would have been a better main character for the series after Halo 2 but because it's Halo we need to stick with generic military man.

Im debating whether I should watch the finale tonight. If I do Ill only get 5 hours of sleep before work. If I dont, Ill be out of the loop and restless. Decisions..

tuxfool

Banned
They hated it because there wasn't an ending.

That doesn't matter these days but back then it was some bulllllllllllshit.

That is because Bungie dicked around with Halo 2, but then realized they were too ambitious. I think Halo 2 as it was released was built from the ground up in a year.

As much as Bungie has changed in the intervening years, they still made the same mistakes with Destiny.

LiK

Cortana was and still is an awesome character. Jen Taylor's VO is the best in the series.

That is because Bungie dicked around with Halo 2, but then realized they were too ambitious. I think Halo 2 as it was released was built from the ground up in a year.

As much as Bungie has changed in the intervening years, they still made the same mistakes with Destiny.

Bungie literally said they wasted time in the Halo 2 doc. that kinda blew my mind that they admitted to that.

I knew about that stuff. There's an excellent oral history of how the halo 2 e3 demo was all smoke and mirrors and they basically couldn't get that shit to ever work on an Xbox in a million years. It was the Bioshock Infinite e3 demo of its day.

Bacon

Im debating whether I should watch the finale tonight. If I do Ill only get 5 hours of sleep before work. If I dont, Ill be out of the loop and restless. Decisions..

Yeah you wouldn't want to be out of the loop on this massive pop culture milestone. Everyone at work will be talking about it tomorrow and you'll be left out

- J - D -

I knew about that stuff. There's an excellent oral history of how the halo 2 e3 demo was all smoke and mirrors and they basically couldn't get that shit to ever work on an Xbox in a million years. It was the Bioshock Infinite e3 demo of its day.

All this talk of Halo 2 made me look up videos of it, since I honestly have not played the game since it came out, I was so disappointed. It was quite a drastic change.

E3 2003 vs Final version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEM98h1nV4M

E3 2002 reveal vs. Final: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8YgMDzZzm4

Yeah, even for an overly excited teenager at the time super hyped for Halo 2, I knew the moment we were dropped into New Mombasa in the final game that it wasn't what was promised at E3.

LiK

All this talk of Halo 2 made me look up videos of it, since I honestly have not played the game since it came out, I was so disappointed. It was quite a drastic change.

E3 2003 vs Final version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEM98h1nV4M

E3 2002 reveal vs. Final: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8YgMDzZzm4

Yeah, even for an overly excited teenager at the time super hyped for Halo 2, I knew the moment we were dropped into New Mombasa in the final game that it wasn't what was promised at E3.

the texture pop-in was awful too. the remasters took care of that, thankfully.

Lelcar

I like that Drew makes a Metal Gear reference in almost every video he's in now, either that or he 'gets it' whenever a Metal Gear reference is being made.

everyone had an ass shot in the game. Mei Ling was required to have one at that point.

You could argue that the entire game is one big ass shot. You spend the majority of the game crouch walking around with Snake's meticulously crafted ass in a skin tight suit shoved in front of the camera

I just wonder how much dev time was devoted to getting incredibly talented artists, animators, and frankly decent folk to hunch over their computer screens, making sure every ass shot is perfectly rendered so as to satisfy Kojima and his perverted genius.

You could argue that the entire game is one big ass shot. You spend the majority of the game crouch walking around with Snake's meticulously crafted ass in a skin tight suit shoved in front of the camera

Butts define the entire series.

oy8HglD.jpg

Plasma

Banned
I had the Megadrive version of TMNT Tournament Fighters, seems like it was the better version after watching ranking of fighters. Some of the stages had breakable floors so you could fight in different areas and you could play as Casey Jones.

LiK

I had the Megadrive version of TMNT Tournament Fighters, seems like it was the better version after watching ranking of fighters. Some of the stages had breakable floors so you could fight in different areas and you could play as Casey Jones.

yo, submit that info to them so they play that version next time.

Xater

Looking at screenshots it doesn't loo better. I also see no super bar and the UI looks pretty ghetto compared to the SNES version. Controls also sound inferior using the 3 button pad.

Looking at screenshots it doesn't loo better. I also see no super bar and the UI looks pretty ghetto compared to the SNES version. Controls also sound inferior using the 3 button pad.
Xater, are you ranking this fighter

Because you should step back and leave that to the professionals.

MG310

They should probably take a look at the NES version too then. I remember it being surprisingly decent given the controller and system. It could probably knock Masters of Teras Kasi down a spot.

I just got a personal email from Anna thanking me for supporting her Honeymourning campaign. That's so sweet of her to take the time to actually respond to what I had to say when I donated. I hope she has a wonderful time on her trip.

mattp

haha its good to hear the guys on upf saying sf5 actually looks really great and nothing like 4. every time that came up on the bombcast, i'd get that itch to be a maniac and yell at my car stereo. NO YOU GUYS ARE WRONG ABOUT THIS THING I CARE ABOUT

that game is fucking GORGEOUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom