• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drew always gets mad about Drobin talking about the Beasts when they are killed...

why?

its info

It's unnecessary. They're all shallow bosses, but Kojima felt the need to explain their unimportant backstories to you anyway. Not to mention that all the fights end the same instead of being a bonus for like, lowering their psyche(That way if you want to avoid the whole hugging attempts you can just lower their health instead).

Like, the MGS3 bosses were just as shallow but they didn't try to forcefeed you their backgrounds or anything. Some bosses hinted at it(Fury most of all), but you didn't have EVA calling you telling you about how The Pain was stung by bees and he fell into a bee hive and how he harnessed the power of bees in order to bee you.

If they cut out the whole post fight, and made the codec calls optional, I think the B&B would be seen in a better light. Like, we already knew they were PTSD women from the cutscene with Drebin in act 2, we really don't need to have that reinforced after each one.

FStop7

Banned
Drew always gets mad about Drobin talking about the Beasts when they are killed...

why?

its info

It's terrible writing interspersed with cringeworthy ass shots.

She had to watch her family be eaten by SQUIRRELS so she BECAME a squirrel to cope with the PAIN of WAR. She became... SNIFFLING SQUIRREL, the BEAUTY hidden inside the BEAST. WAR ECONOMY.

Honestly, I'm starting to understand Patrick's intense dislike for Kojima. I had totally forgotten how bad MGS4 got in terms of self-indulgence and otaku shut-in wankery.

LiK

why?

its info

it's boring and badly told. not even sure why Drebin is the one to tell us anyway. you'd think maybe that info would come from files or from the bosses themselves like the previous games. and he tells us the story after a long drawn out freak out by the bosses.

I didn't remember how awkward this Mei Ling scene is. Johnny was barely able to resist the urge to grab her ass, and only because Meryl physically stopped him, what the hell was that?

Akiba is a shonen protagonist trapped in a world that is not going full shonen until the SOP system is fucked.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, if he was a shonen protagonist he would accidentally grope his OTL after accidentally bumping into her when they just met, and also shun all love interests. ALL OF IT.

Serious question: what's worse, mgs or halo lore?

Playing halo 1 again as I never played the anniversary edition and felt I should give the series a fair shot after felling pretty meh about these games over the years. I have the library coming next, I remember this being the most repetitive shit ever in a game loaded with copy paste level design.

LiK

Serious question: what's worse, mgs or halo lore?

Playing halo 1 again as I never played the anniversary edition and felt I should give the series a fair shot after felling pretty meh about these games over the years. I have the library coming next, I remember this being the most repetitive shit ever in a game loaded with copy paste level design.

so are you asking about lore or level design? Halo lore is actually better if you read up on all the stuff they put out. MGS lore is just crazy and over the top.

also, Library isn't that bad. it's just old school hallways with rushing enemies. i liked it even when i first played it back in the day. shotgunning Flood is fun. people shit on that level way too much when there are far worse FPS levels in other games.

No, the second part was just me commenting on how the level design is fairly basic to the point of it being repetitive and feeling either rushed or lazy. It's also confusing at times since you don't have a map and it can look pretty samey at times. But I knew that going in, I played the first 3 halo games at or around launch so I knew what to expect.

Just curious about the lore. I know there's the fall of reach book but I believe that stuff got retconned when halo reach came out and then there's the anime, a movie?, and nightfall. So there's a buttload of lore to get into if I want to prep myself for halo 5.

This must be what being a latecomer to mgs feels like.

Also, castlevania needs Bon fires or estus flasks or something. Game is vicious. And I thought Rondo was rough at times, cv3 just actively hates its players.

LiK

TMNT: Tournament Fighters ended up getting way more play than Star Wars. I'm glad Jeff had that as backup, hehe. SW was so bad.

No, the second part was just me commenting on how the level design is fairly basic to the point of it being repetitive and feeling either rushed or lazy. It's also confusing at times since you don't have a map and it can look pretty samey at times. But I knew that going in, I played the first 3 halo games at or around launch so I knew what to expect.

Just curious about the lore. I know there's the fall of reach book but I believe that stuff got retconned with halo reach came out and then there's the anime, a movie?, and nightfall. So there's a buttload of lore to get into if I want to prep myself for halo 5.

This must be what being a latecomer to mgs feels like.

i don't follow everything. there's too much like books and shows/movies. i like to just read the Halo Wikis for a good summary of stuff and go from there. I always found the Forerunners stuff to be exceptionally cool.

The Cortana level in Halo 3 is much worse than The Library.
I dunno, it just stands out more since the rest of Halo 3's campaign is actually well designed. So when you're in a giant aimless vagina with fucking assholes shooting you in every direction it sticks out a lot more because everything else was enjoyable up to there.

The library is the apex of halo 1's now ancient level design: make one section, copy paste it until it's too much, close the program and go home for the day. It helps that even with halo 1 the enemy ai and the combat loop is really exceptional so those battles don't feel so much like filler when you're enjoying them. The game just has the feel of a 5-6 hour game that needed to be a 8-10 hour game to meet the expectations of the times.

Volotaire

Drew did a fantastic job on the Bow part on the latest MGScanlon. On hard difficulty, you cannot get through that door due to so many respawning frogs and gecko. When the alarm is set off, the alert never goes down so you have to start over again. You have to do it stealthily. Possibly the second worst part of the game for me.

Next part will be long (around 2 hours) and make for great popcorn watching. I can't wait for his reactions.

LiK

I dunno, it just stands out more since the rest of Halo 3's campaign is actually well designed. So when you're in a giant aimless vagina with fucking assholes shooting you in every direction it sticks out a lot more because everything else was enjoyable up to there.

indeed, Cortana level was so bad. it wasn't even fun or fair, imo. dunno what Bungie was thinking with that level. Library was pretty straighforward and simple.

Mature

Drew did a fantastic job on the Bow part on the latest MGScanlon. On hard difficulty, you cannot get through that door due to so many respawning frogs and gecko. When the alarm is set off, the alert never goes down so you have to start over again. You have to do it stealthily. Possibly the second worst part of the game for me.

Next part is going to be long 9around 2 hours) and great popcorn watching. I can't wait for his reactions.
Using the Mk.3 in that section makes it really simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom