• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

I think today I'm gonna go through and rescue all the prisoners in Ground Zeroes. Never done that before. I've gotten my completion time down to about 9 minutes. Time for a new challenge.

Myggen

Have you ever seen Dan and Austin in the same room together? Excluding the times I have, I haven't seen it once.

1311949541_ILLUMINATI-ALL-SEEING-EYE.jpg

ArjanN

But there is a difference.

Jeff: doesn't like a thing and explains why. Does it in a uniquely funny way. People get mad that he doesn't like what they like and that's dumb.

Dan: literally admits he dismisses numerous things for no other reason than he doesn't understand them. Getting mad at this is also dumb, but getting bored/tired of it seems pretty reasonable. He's shown that he's a more interesting person to listen to when he gives something the time of day and forms an actual opinion on it, positive or negative.

Eh, Jeff only really does so when pressed on the issue and then just falls back into his jokey "durr this is for dummies" bit right after.

IMO the only real difference is people are already familiar with Jeff.
Also Dan seems more likely to actually give something a chance if people recommend it to him.

Fox318

Can Alex and Dan just do a Powerbombcast without Jeff?

I feel like Jeff's cynicism towards people unironically enjoying wrestling is what really killed the powerbombcast.

DamnBoxes

drew's truck escape was amazing

that has literally never worked for me in that portion of the game, instant alerts

Stumbled before rescuing Chico.
Imploded on his way to Paz.
Once he finds her though? Sublime finish.

Interesting
(and frustrating!)
first playthrough I'd say.

justjim89

Yeah, I'd be all for a no Jeff Powerbombcast. If he wants to do it, cool, but it seems like he doesn't. It's not that it's wrong to be cynical or critical of WWE. That's fine. But Jeff is literally the worst kind of wrestling fan. Hates WWE, bitches about it, cynical as hell about it, but never gives anything else a shot. Hell, I don't think he even watched NXT very much.

Dan, Alex, Giancarlo, Austin, maybe Jared if Nintendo lets him?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah, I'd be all for a no Jeff Powerbombcast. If he wants to do it, cool, but it seems like he doesn't. It's not that it's wrong to be cynical or critical of WWE. That's fine. But Jeff is literally the worst kind of wrestling fan. Hates WWE, bitches about it, cynical as hell about it, but never gives anything else a shot. Hell, I don't think he even watched NXT very much.

Good luck with the whole Nintendo employee on a podcast thing in the near future

Isn't Jared unable to appear on anything gaming related now? You can probably thank the localiser who didn't know his place for making sure that policy doesn't go anywhere.
Powerbombcast isn't gaming related though, I think it's just been a lack of interest or free time that's stopped another Powerbombcast from happening.

Fox318

What Jeff likes isn't wrestling, its disaster reality tv and poorly acted entertainment.

He's the guy that thinks this is the reason why Wrestling is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Q4EVpIFIk

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3g37-9nu_g

as opposed to people getting into storytelling, unique atmosphere, physical feats, and compelling matches.

yes definitely. i was amazed drew's truck trick worked. so glad he didn't go with what dan was suggesting by driving through the most heavily patrolled part of the base.

Drew definitely nailed it. He saw the truck on his idroid and instantly gravitated towards it to the hesitance of dan. And it worked out completely!

Drew definitely nailed it. He saw the truck on his idroid and instantly gravitated towards it to the hesitance of dan. And it worked out completely!

Drew nailed it when he said that GZ/TPP is coming as close as the series has gotten to the promise of what MGS gameplay can be.

Can I also say, I was shocked and thrilled at the amount of experimentation we saw with Drew? MGS3 Drew would have just dragged Paz to the LZ while machine-gunning everyone in sight. I nearly cheered at my desk at work when he pulled off the truck escape. Simply awesome.

Myggen

Powerbombcast isn't gaming related though, I think it's just been a lack of interest or free time that's stopped another Powerbombcast from happening.

Don't underestimate NOA's unwillingness to let employees speak freely about anything, GB being a gaming website is probably enough.

Drew nailed it when he said that GZ/TPP is coming as close as the series has gotten to the promise of what MGS gameplay can be.

Can I also say, I was shocked and thrilled at the amount of experimentation we saw with Drew? MGS3 Drew would have just dragged Paz to the LZ while machine-gunning everyone in sight. I nearly cheered at my desk at work when he pulled off the truck escape. Simply awesome.

Yeah, Drew is completely right on that forefront. Open World Tactical Action Stealth..and yeah I'm surprised he didn't use grenades until the helicopter part. And he used up those WU rounds all the way till he ran out.

It was a great video. Pure gameplay of Drew just 'getting' metal gear.

Don't underestimate NOA's unwillingness to let employees speak freely about anything, GB being a gaming website is probably enough.
I suppose in light of recent events it's even more unlikely that he would be allowed on, but I'd like to think that Nintendo wasn't that stupid.

Curufinwe

They should do a segment on UPF where Drew sets up a PSN account and tries to find a half-decent user name that isn't already taken. Ideally they would have done that before playing MGS2 HD on Jason's account so Drew would have his own record of when he played and beat those games.

Myggen

I suppose in light of recent events it's even more unlikely that he would be allowed on, but I'd like to think that Nintendo wasn't that stupid.

But they are. Nintendo is still very much an old school Japanese company when it comes to this stuff, while Sony has moved in the complete opposite direction. And yeah, I think that recent drama is gonna make them even more secretive. It's a shame.

We've had nine consecutive days of Metal Gear Scanlon. Crazy. I hope we get to ten tonight with a video of Dan and Drew watching some of the MGSV trailers.

But they are. Nintendo is still very much an old school Japanese company when it comes to this stuff, while Sony has moved in the complete opposite direction. And yeah, I think that recent drama is gonna make them even more secretive. It's a shame.
Sadly I know that they are that stupid, but part of me wants to believe that they will get over it. Jared has been great on various GB content so it's a real bummer that he probably won't appear on content again.

LiK

We've had nine consecutive days of Metal Gear Scanlon. Crazy. I hope we get to ten tonight with a video of Dan and Drew watching some of the MGSV trailers.

pretty funny that my vacation coincided with the MGS marathon. it allowed me to watch them every night lol

DamnBoxes

That moment was great.

Prior to that though, wasn't there a little too much long-distance tranq gun?

Myggen

Sadly I know that they are that stupid, but part of me wants to believe that they will get over it. Jared has been great on various GB content so it's a real bummer that he probably won't appear on content again.

Yeah, I've always liked Jared so that sucks. Fucking Nintendo.

LiK

Drew did really well in GZ. i fucked up the part with Paz a few times like Dan. pretty awesome how open the game is. i snuck in by hiding in the back of the truck. Drew went in a completely different way.

i do hate that we can't carry all weapons anymore.

Myggen

This Call of Duty Unfinished is the most surprisingly funny video they've done in a good while. The kid reacting to Jeff, I'm dying.

kvk1

It worked, but I bring that up because he used that strategy for a large portion of the playthrough. Not too much experimentation outside of the amazing Truck+Paz escape!

You're not wrong. Though I feel like a lot of this is a combination of time constraints and viewer entertainment. They probably don't want a 3 hour long video of Drew figuring out all the minute ways in which you can navigate through the objectives, only to have the video finish without even getting past the first watchtower.

Erekiddo

What's the name of the game Vinny recently fell in love with / promoting hard? The Gone Hone style game.

I don't want to scrub through the podcast again to capture the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom