• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

The goty theme this year ought to be a contradiction style investigation set in the metal gear universe staring actual WWE superstars along side the duders.

I mean if it's that or nothing of course I'll take it, and if they do it I'll watch it, but I dunno, the appeal for me has really been watching him go through the old games. I'd be happy enough for him to just play through it himself and discuss it along with everyone on the bombcast or whatever.
Agreed. I've generally always enjoyed Metal Gear Scanlon, but reaching my limits, would prefer to hear what Drew has to say playing through it without Dan at his side at the time.

It's kind of a shame they are doing MPP5 on stage because they are less likely to go in a huff halfway through and storm off to the control room drunk (Hi Drew!).

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Good for dan on the bcast admitting to the weird reaction he has to stuff he doesn't understand

He or anyone becomes an interesting person to listen to when they actually show an interest in something new, rather than being confused and dismissive about it. Hopefully he keeps it up

weird anger toward jared leto though based on how he looks? Ok call his band shitty if you don't like it, but there's some weird resentment there lol

Jintor

Good for dan on the bcast admitting to the weird reaction he has to stuff he doesn't understand

He or anyone becomes an interesting person to listen to when they actually show an interest in something new, rather than being confused and dismissive about it. Hopefully he keeps it up

weird anger toward jared leto though based on how he looks? Ok call his band shitty if you don't like it, but there's some weird resentment there lol

i feel like even though he recognises it it doesn't really matter that much because he STILL DOES THE MAKE PEOPLE ANGRY THING EVEN THOUGH HE REALISES IT

it just makes it even more irritating :(

Myggen

i feel like even though he recognises it it doesn't really matter that much because he STILL DOES THE MAKE PEOPLE ANGRY THING EVEN THOUGH HE REALISES IT

it just makes it even more irritating :(

He hasn't even done that much lately. And I'm not against some trolling when it's just unimportant bullshit like video games. The Half-Life video they did was hilarious, as was the reaction to it.

Zaph

Oh wow. So I already knew about certain plot points in GZ, but didn't realise the tone is this dark. MGS has always had some pretty grim stuff mixed in, but it's done in that Kojima way that made it goofy. Going dark dark certainly is an interesting directional choice if that's really the game, but not sure how it'll go over once the typical MGS shenanigans start happening (that's assuming they happen at all this game?).

This is amazing. But needs more sound clips.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't know if I'm taking crazy pills or something but giantbomb has been all about being dismissive about things they don't know since their inception. Often making a very big show of it too.

It's like people collectively forgot about it once Dan entered the scene.

hamchan

Oh wow. So I already knew about certain plot points in GZ, but didn't realise the tone is this dark. MGS has always had some pretty grim stuff mixed in, but it's done in that Kojima way that made it goofy. Going dark dark certainly is an interesting directional choice if that's really the game, but not sure how it'll go over once the typical MGS shenanigans start happening (that's assuming they happen at all this game?).

I have no doubt the typical stuff will happen. The first trailer that came out for TPP had a space whale after all.

Spaghetti

tearing my hair out at the ground zeroes playthrough. between drew sprinting across the helipad and being surprised at being spotted, and dan outright misinforming drew about fail states, i don't think i can take seeing TPP played by these two. i can understand drew not knowing how the game plays, but goddamn it dan, you said you remembered this one better.

Jintor

I don't know if I'm taking crazy pills or something but giantbomb has been all about being dismissive about things they don't know since their inception. Often making a very big show of it too.

It's like people collectively forgot about it once Dan entered the scene.

I think my problem is that I can't tell when Dan is being genuinely dismissive, and perhaps more to the point, I don't find his dismissiveness particularly funny compared to Jeff (or Ryan, Ryan could be really on point with his putdowns). Dan just aggravates me.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
tearing my hair out at the ground zeroes playthrough. between drew sprinting across the helipad and being surprised at being spotted, and dan outright misinforming drew about fail states, i don't think i can take seeing TPP played by these two. i can understand drew not knowing how the game plays, but goddamn it dan, you said you remembered this one better.

I'm enjoying it a lot; Drew seems to be having a great time. At this stage I think I'd rather just watch Drew play rather than have Dan commentating. There is no legacy bullshit to detail, just a bunch of mechanics and an arena for Drew to discover. No disrespect to Dan but it would be better without him at this stage.

jgminto

It seems like Drew might actually be better than Dan at V, especially once he familiarises himself with the mechanics some more.

justjim89

Anyone have a link to a clip or timestamp of Jeff and Patrick eviscerating Dan for praising the vagina bomb scene?

I listened to it recently, and it's not as brutal as you think. Patrick almost sounds stupid for just going "VAGINA BOMB VAGINA BOMB NOPE VAGINA BOMB!" instead of really going into why it shouldn't even be in the discussion. Jeff and Brad were a lot better at convincing Dan to let it go.

Myggen

I think my problem is that I can't tell when Dan is being genuinely dismissive, and perhaps more to the point, I don't find his dismissiveness particularly funny compared to Jeff (or Ryan, Ryan could be really on point with his putdowns). Dan just aggravates me.

But then your problem isn't with people being dismissive about stuff, but with them not doing it in a way that's funny enough? Because make no mistake, Jeff going off on Yoshi and similar is just as much about getting a reaction from those listening as anything else. You only need to read comments under those clips on YT to see that some people really react angrily to that stuff, to the point that it's all he's known for by some people (see Trihex's reaction to his name during one of the GDQs).

Spaghetti

It seems like Drew might actually be better than Dan at V, especially once he familiarises himself with the mechanics some more.
yes definitely. i was amazed drew's truck trick worked. so glad he didn't go with what dan was suggesting by driving through the most heavily patrolled part of the base.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Anyone have a link to a clip or timestamp of Jeff and Patrick eviscerating Dan for praising the vagina bomb scene?

They start talking about gz around 23 mins in this. Dunno if that's what you're looking for.

I really don't understand the vitriolic reaction to the bomb thing, apart from it maybe being a sign of modern culture where people feel the need to shout really loud when they don't like something.

If you want to accuse it of being lazy, manipulative writing, you're probably absolutely correct. How that deserves anything more than a dismissive hand wave or a level-headed discussion on why it's dumb is beyond me. Nothing about it deserves the attention or "it set my house on fire!" reactions it got/gets

the age of hot takes

jgminto

yes definitely. i was amazed drew's truck trick worked. so glad he didn't go with what dan was suggesting by driving through the most heavily patrolled part of the base.

I don't think I've ever had much success with avoiding guards while driving even though I've 100%'d the game so it was super impressive that he was able to do that on the first attempt. I think the only advice I'd want to give Drew is to hold people up and tell them to get down (which will immobilise them until seen or an alert) and that he should basically always be crouching or crawling unless he needs to sprint. He's pretty much got it otherwise.

I really don't understand the vitriolic reaction to the bomb thing, apart from it maybe being a sign of modern culture where people feel the need to shout really loud when they don't like something.

If you want to accuse it of being lazy, manipulative writing, you're probably absolutely correct. How that deserves anything more than a dismissive hand wave or a level-headed discussion on why it's dumb is beyond me. Nothing about it deserves the attention or "it set my house on fire!" reactions it got/gets

the age of hot takes

Nobody is doing or has ever done that.

the age of hot takes

Stump spitting truth. The bomb thing was just easy to latch onto by the people who already decided against the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom