• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #15 | Just a Clip-On Tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
Have they said what phantom pain unlocks come from having a ground zeros save? How much of ground zeros do I need to go back and do if I want to unlock everything? (I only ever did the main mission)

Kojima just has a history of objectifying women and the Paz thing in GZ seems to have been the tipping point for many. Paz gets raped (again) but this time by Chico (who was forced to do so) and then she's rescued but wait hold on her vagina is loaded with a backup bomb. And all of it is handled with the grace of a bull in a china shop.

I'm really looking forward to the internet exploding at god knows what Kojima has in store for Quiet. Because i sincerely doubt that he's finally going to figure out this whole women thing given his long history of being terrible at it.

Myggen

Nobody is doing or has ever done that.

I would argue that Patrick was close to that kind of over the top reaction every time the game was brought up. I think it's a pretty terrible scene, obviously, but it didn't overshadow everything else about GZ for me.

Jintor

i guess once they
put the bomb in her stomach in the first place
I pretty much filed everything else that happened to her as "bad shit happens" and put it to one side.

Xater

I would argue that Patrick was close to that kind of over the top reaction every time the game was brought up. I think it's a pretty terrible scene, obviously, but it didn't overshadow everything else about GZ for me.

The problem wasn't just that scene, but the combination of her abuse that happened during captivity.

jgminto

obviously we weren't following the same people at the same time then because oh man, yes they were.
Maybe, but I didn't remember the GB guys reacting on that level. It's pretty easy to see what the problem with the scenario is though. When you're presenting such serious concepts and events, the details and subtleties is what makes an impact. So when Kojima tries to push it a step further with the bomb, it feels hollow and tacky. That detail doesn't actually add anything to the scenario and it was clear that it was something he thought of that would be shocking. I think that lack of restraint will likely hurt the narrative as it continues into TPP as well.

strafer

i wish people would live a little...this is the last Kojima directed MGS we will ever get and the last MGS game we will ever get so just let it go.

just embrace it and dont cry.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
But then your problem isn't with people being dismissive about stuff, but with them not doing it in a way that's funny enough? Because make no mistake, Jeff going off on Yoshi and similar is just as much about getting a reaction from those listening as anything else. You only need to read comments under those clips on YT to see that some people really react angrily to that stuff, to the point that it's all he's known for by some people (see Trihex's reaction to his name during one of the GDQs).

But there is a difference.

Jeff: doesn't like a thing and explains why. Does it in a uniquely funny way. People get mad that he doesn't like what they like and that's dumb.

Dan: literally admits he dismisses numerous things for no other reason than he doesn't understand them. Getting mad at this is also dumb, but getting bored/tired of it seems pretty reasonable. He's shown that he's a more interesting person to listen to when he gives something the time of day and forms an actual opinion on it, positive or negative.

Jintor

That is an important distinction. I'm not mad about it. I often don't know of or really care about the things that dan is like "That's dumb, that's a dumb thing". It's just he does it every time. Every time!

I think probably the finale of Metal Year Scanlon has overexposed me to Rykert for a little bit.

Maybe, but I didn't remember the GB guys reacting on that level. It's pretty easy to see what the problem with the scenario is though. When you're presenting such serious concepts and events, the details and subtleties is what makes an impact. So when Kojima tries to push it a step further with the bomb, it feels hollow and tacky. That detail doesn't actually add anything to the scenario and it was clear that it was something he thought of that would be shocking. I think that lack of restraint will likely hurt the narrative as it continues into TPP as well.

Isn't the bomb what causes Big Boss' nine year coma?

the thing about Kojima's writing is that the people who praise him and those who criticise him are both right because frankly his writing is all over the place across the board. it's super easy to pick and choose examples in those games that will support any standpoint if you want them to.

frankly I've always enjoyed the inconsistency. the fact that he can make me genuinely emotional and then turn around and do something completely idiotic is pretty hilarious.

Yeah, I get that that whole storyline was problematic.

weirdly my biggest problem with it is that that whole thing is such a trope in japanese storytelling that it stands out to me more as lazy than gross. "woman being raped or under threat of rape" is the contra code for "inserting emotional impact" in japanese fiction. it's awful on a systemic level, but on an individual level it's just... lazy.

You're not wrong. In fact, what you just said there is far more insightful than anything Patrick had to say ("It's problematic ostensibly!") on the topic.

Ok that's kind of a cheap shot.

Myggen

Jeff: doesn't like a thing and explains why. Does it in a uniquely funny way. People get mad that he doesn't like what they like and that's dumb.

Dan: literally admits he dismisses numerous things for no other reason than he doesn't understand them. Getting mad at this is also dumb, but getting bored/tired of it seems pretty reasonable. He's shown that he's a more interesting person to listen to when he gives something the time of day and forms an actual opinion on it, positive or negative.

I wouldn't say that Jeff's rants about stuff like Nights and Yoshi are very well explained. It's mostly boils down to it being dumb and not something he likes, said in a very hyperbolic manner. And I agree with you that it's pretty reasonable to get tired of it if Dan is just dismissive of shit he hasn't played, I'm more talking about the reaction to their Half-Life Unfinished and stuff like that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

As a person who first got exposed to giantbomb with the blazblue quick look trust me.

He didn't come across any different than Dan did.

jgminto

You're not wrong. In fact, what you just said there is far more insightful than anything Patrick had to say ("It's problematic ostensibly!") on the topic.

Ok that's kind of a cheap shot.
Patrick could write some really interesting stuff when he cared enough about a topic, but he was still a news guy first and foremost. That's one of the things I like about Austin, he seems more eager to dip into the editorial side.

Have they said what phantom pain unlocks come from having a ground zeros save? How much of ground zeros do I need to go back and do if I want to unlock everything? (I only ever did the main mission)

if you just have the save of GZ you will get a "bonus"

but they confirmed if you rescued some prisoners across the main mission and side ops you can use them for motherbase in TPP

if you just have the save of GZ you will get a "bonus"

but they confirmed if you rescued some prisoners across the main mission and side ops you can use them for motherbase in TPP

hah, I saved them all. the most fun I had in that game was piling them all into a jeep and driving to freedom.

I failed so many times before pulling it off

e: wait, that means I'll have Kojima in my base? sweeeet

I wouldn't say that Jeff's rants about stuff like Nights and Yoshi are very well explained.

the reason Nights sucks should be self-evident :)

Let's just all stop arguing and admit that Jeff and Dan are the worst parts about Giant Bomb. Sound fair?

Also Drew is really doing well on Ground Zeroes, clicked with him way quicker than MGS4 did.

Antiwhippy

Nah, I love Jeff despite him hating a lot of the things I love. :p

I can see why people can get really aggravated by Dan, but considering the reasons why they find him annoying are inherent in giantbomb already I just find it sort of irrational? Not that there's anything wrong with it. Humans are inherently irrational creatures. Also of course tone does actually matter.

Jintor

Devil's advocate: Wouldn't they catch it if it was planted anywhere else surgically, thanks to the scarring and all that?

I was kinda thinking about that.

That Kojima stuck the whole thing in a tape instead of putting it directly into the cutscene demonstrates either vague restraint or an editor or someone in oversight who told him "We're not going to put the word '
vagina
' in any of our cutscenes".

I haven't listened to the tapes yet though so I don't want to comment too in-depth.

Nah, I love Jeff despite him hating a lot of the things I love. :p

I can see why people can get really aggravated by Dan, but considering the reasons why they find him annoying are inherent in giantbomb already I just find it sort of irrational? Not that there's anything wrong with it. Humans are irrational creatures after all. Also of course tone does actually matter.

I think it's just purely overexposure on my part... Jeff being hyperbolically dismissive of something is a relatively rare event, but Dan does it more often (usually not to the same degree of hyperbole, but more often nonetheless).

hamchan

You can tell when Jeff is playing it up like with Yoshi and when he truly does think something is really bad like with Destiny.

but yoshi's island really is a disappointing sequel to super mario world

it's a fine game and all but it has none of what was great about the supposed predecessor

jgminto

I was kinda thinking about that.

That Kojima stuck the whole thing in a tape instead of putting it directly into the cutscene demonstrates either vague restraint or an editor or someone in oversight who told him "We're not going to put the word '
vagina
' in any of our cutscenes".

I haven't listened to the tapes yet though so I don't want to comment too in-depth.
It's kind of absurd that one of the main collectables in the game is recordings of war atrocities, it's an odd disconnect…
They're certainly confronting to listen to, though I'd also say some of the performances feel overly wordy after what the characters have been through. And don't get me started on Skullface!

Dan really seems to get under people's skin.

which is pretty much what he wants to do.

so stop being a mark

tumblr_myyanwQqvU1rqlbwvo1_250.gif

If anyone wants to look up on how to unlock the bonuses in TPP from GZ IGN surprisingly has a detailed guide for it.

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain/Ground_Zeroes_Save_Transfers?ign_app_ios=

Spaghetti

Paz gets raped (again) but this time by Chico (who was forced to do so)
this is debatable.

the tape cuts out before anything happens, and then goes immediately to chico telling skull face where mother base is.

i always interpreted that as he'd rather sell out big boss than do that to paz. in peace walker, he actually saw paz tampering with metal gear zeke and didn't tell a soul because of his crush on her.

They're certainly confronting though I'd also say some of the performances feel overly wordy after what the characters have been through.

It's a Metal Gear Solid game, so of course they do. Half of the conversations between two characters that are already aware of what's going on still go out of their way to explain shit to the player.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I wouldn't say that Jeff's rants about stuff like Nights and Yoshi are very well explained. It's mostly boils down to it being dumb and not something he likes, said in a very hyperbolic manner. And I agree with you that it's pretty reasonable to get tired of it if Dan is just dismissive of shit he hasn't played, I'm more talking about the reaction to their Half-Life Unfinished and stuff like that.

Yeah the reaction to their half life thing was bewildering.

As a person who first got exposed to giantbomb with the blazblue quick look trust me.

He didn't come across any different than Dan did.

Yeah early gb jeff was often no different, but he's changed a lot in that regard and become more open to different games/opinions over the years. Even if something isn't for him he doesn't (always) label it "for crazy people" anymore. I remember being mildly offended when he said that about fans of the Witcher 1 back then :p

jgminto

It's a Metal Gear Solid game, so of course they do. Half of the conversations between two characters that are already aware of what's going on still go out of their way to explain shit to the player.
This game does otherwise feel like it's moving away from that slightly, perhaps only due to Kiefer but it was still a tad distracting to hear such a wordy conversation between two character when otherwise it had mostly been tips from Kaz. It was no Big Mama cutscene at least.

Antiwhippy

Yeah the reaction to their half life thing was bewildering.

Yeah early gb jeff was often no different, but he's changed a lot in that regard and become more open to different games/opinions over the years. Even if something isn't for him he doesn't (always) label it "for crazy people" anymore. I remember being mildly offended when he said that about fans of the Witcher 1 back then :p

I kinda feel like he does still say that some things are for crazy people but I just laugh. There's just something about the dude that's always funny to me. Not like I find him weird funny, like I just love his style of comedy.

Jintor

I've come around on the codec-being-radio-hit-a-button thing since it allows for slightly more contextual calls. But I wonder if that means the goofy random calls will be excised completely (somehow I doubt it), or how they're going to do them just in tapes... and I really miss Snake talking back to mission control. Silent snake is just... unnerving.

Maybe intentional, but still.

Myggen

Anyone's got a good picture of Austin that isn't just the standard 3-4 pictures of him? Making the new thread I realized that there's way too few pictures of the guy, GBEast needs to start doing Mailbags or something!

jgminto

I've come around on the codec-being-radio-hit-a-button thing since it allows for slightly more contextual calls. But I wonder if that means the goofy random calls will be excised completely (somehow I doubt it), or how they're going to do them just in tapes... and I really miss Snake talking back to mission control. Silent snake is just... unnerving.

Maybe intentional, but still.
Did anyone ever find the button call that useful? Maybe I did in my first run but I don't think I ever used it outside of that. I guess in an open world with a larger variety of situations it might be more useful.

Zaph

Anyone's got a good picture of Austin that isn't just the standard 3-4 pictures of him? Making the new thread I realized that there's way too few pictures of the guy, GBEast needs to start doing Mailbags or something!

GIFing opportunities have been weak too. I refuse to acknowledge his GB status until I've got something to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom