• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Tokai

Neo Member
Enemies you killed would often come back multiple times if you didn't execute them with different buffs depending on how you killed them and reference that manner as well. Creates some fun scenarios where one guy just keeps coming back again and again like in a horror movie.

Yeah, I read about some of that in the reviews but didn't really experience it myself, but I admit that's because I just didn't play it long enough. I don't know if it would have made a whole lot of difference for me, though. It's still just generated dialog from randomly generated dudes. Plus Shadow of Mordor was the game that made me realize that Batman combat no longer does it for me.

EDIT: I feel like a much cooler system would be having somewhat-preset dudes and that, depending on who you pick a feud with and make your "nemesis," it would open up new side story paths in new locations, and that picking certain dudes to "nemesis" with would close off other side-plot paths, giving you a perfect excuse for multiple playthroughs. The nemesis system as it exists in the game was just way too barebones of a thing for me to care about.

Bacon

If you're gonna cook your steak well done and slather it in ketchup you might as well just get a hamburger because you clearly just don't like steak

popo

with that, it's like, i don't get to eat (good) steak all that often so seeing someone prepare something i could be enjoying badly hurts my soul

You don't get to eat it though, 'cause you is a poor. I can afford to buy fillet and burn the shit out of it :D

You either like something or you don't. Telling someone that it is better rare is pretty pointless if they don't like the taste of bloody meat. In this context, better just means "how I like it cooked".

That is why people give Dan shit. Not because he doesn't like mayo etc. More that he refuses to try it.

If you're gonna cook your steak well done and slather it in ketchup you might as well just get a hamburger because you clearly just don't like steak

This is not true. A well done fillet or sirloin doesn't taste the same or have the same texture as a hamburger. You could argue the hamburger tastes better but it isn't the same.

Heimbeck

Banned
Yeah, I read about some of that in the reviews but didn't really experience it myself, but I admit that's because I just didn't play it long enough. I don't know if it would have made a whole lot of difference for me, though. Shadow of Mordor was the game that made me realize that Batman combat no longer does it for me.

It didn't make a difference for me, got more bored the longer I played.
I agree about the Batman combat as well, playing a game with that combat system isn't interesting to me anymore.

I'll take the tongue and tail over any steak any day.

The tongue is like the most tender and beefy steak you'll ever eat but people ignore it because ew tongue I guess.

I like the taste, especially in the context of yakiniku or korean bbq, but the texture doesn't do it for me. I actually like steak to have a bit of resistance to it when I bite.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I like the taste, especially in the context of yakiniku or korean bbq, but the texture doesn't do it for me. I actually like steak to have a bit of resistance to it when I bite.

People pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege to eat steak with no resistance when you bite.

When they can just eat tongue.

Copenap

Is there a problem with the videi buddy? I'm getting error messages and no content is shown.

Edit: Ok, just got the info from the app, they are working on it.

Jokab

With watching the four (?) pax things GB did, it's dawning on me that they've become a variety show of sorts. They've always been inching closer to it, but they feel quite set on it now. Personally I don't watch quick looks anymore, and I imagine they're not their biggest draws anymore (though the podcast always was held the #1 spot). I suppose that coincides with me losing interest with gaming in general, but still. I dunno what this post is, just a personal reflection I suppose. Anyway, long live giant bomb and their crazy shenanigans.

Heimbeck

Banned
With watching the four (?) pax things GB did, it's dawning on me that they've become a variety show of sorts. They've always been inching closer to it, but they feel quite set on it now. Personally I don't watch quick looks anymore, and I imagine they're not their biggest draws anymore (though the podcast always was held the #1 spot). I suppose that coincides with me losing interest with gaming in general, but still. I dunno what this post is, just a personal reflection I suppose. Anyway, long live giant bomb and their crazy shenanigans.

Quick looks are usually high up when you filter the videos by how popular they are.
They must do well for big new releases like MGS.

I suppose since they are non-premium they will always do a bit better than all the other stuff though.

AcridMeat

Banned
If anyone hasn't tried Iron Brigade, Costume Quest or Psychonauts they should. I want to recommend Brutal Legend because I think the world and music is awesome, but I bet the gameplay has aged horribly.
Holy crap they didn't test those mics at all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, I just find VR conversations so boring now, since I've kinda heard the same conversations like 4-5 times now.

I don't think there's any middle ground on it with anyone. Not just GB but like when I look at stuff on Gaf.

On one hand, you don't really know how great it can be until you can try it. And I don't think people realize the majority of folks haven't tried it. It's not like you can demo it at BestBuy or Walmart. But on the other hand, I think the people who have tried it, a lot of the time, only played with it enough for the honeymoon phase and not enough to realize how potentially limited the applications for it could be specifically in gaming.

The true test of how all this will go is when retail units hit. And if they don't over saturate the market, which is what I think will happen.

Teddified

I don't think there's any middle ground on it with anyone. Not just GB but like when I look at stuff on Gaf.

Personally I don't have an opinion yet on VR. It's just every time GB talk about VR it's all almost the same exact conversations with some of the same stories repeated.

Man, I just find VR conversations so boring now, since I've kinda heard the same conversations like 4-5 times now.
Yeah it's weird to have these long conversations about the differences between all these demos and devices when probably 90% of the bombcast audience hasn't touched an Oculus Rift much less a Vive or Morpheus or whatever. Once this stuff is actually going on sale those conversations will be valuable but for now it's like "Yeah, I get it, it's all amazing."

Zaph

The true test of how all this will go is when retail units hit. And if they don't over saturate the market, which is what I think will happen.

Yeah, I'm really curious to see what the hardware sales will look like once the early adopter rush is over, and if that number is a feasible one to support a software ecosystem.

It certainty doesn't help that the 'optimal' experience which everyone is gushing over is now three layers of fragmentation away - a moderately high-end PC, the right VR headset, and the sold-separately controllers. Aside from Facebook-subsidised games, who's really going to invest seven figures for such a niche install-base?

the whole reason I subbed in the first place was more to do with the fact that they're basically a variety show that is somewhat video game related than anything

I do like my variety shows

tumblr_mx5b8dXp1V1st35cyo1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom