• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now, I think Mario Maker has a great chance at being their GOTY pick. They all seem to be enamored with it. Only Rocket League comes close (I think Jeff likes it the least out of them). I really think Mario Maker and Rocket League have a good chance to be 1 and 2. It all depends on Just Cause 3, which they are all pumped for. If Mario Maker does win, it'll mark the first time I don't own the GB GOTY (as I don't own a Wii-U and probably won't).

I think a few other games could contend. MGS V, Rock Band 4, Fallout 4, and Battlefront all have a shot at top 3. I could see Dan, Drew, Alex, and Austin all getting into Yo-Kai Watch. If Hyper Light Drifter, No Man's Sky, or The Witness come out this year, those could all compete. And if Persona 5 actually comes out in NA in 2015 that wins by default.

LiK

videos keep stopping for me atm. tried it on both my PC and Video Buddy on iOS. annoying as hell. why do their servers run like shit over the weekends?

videos keep stopping for me atm. tried it on both my PC and Video Buddy on iOS. annoying as hell. why do their servers run like shit over the weekends?

The videos have been pretty spotty for me across the board. It only started happening after I deleted Flash from my computer, following a news story Will conveyed on the Tested podcast. It turns out that some Flash-based ads on Yahoo were legitimately purchased by people with malicious intent. They used the security flaws in Flash (via the ads) to infect peoples computers by installing unwanted software (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/03/hackers-exploit-flash-vulnerability-in-yahoo-ads/?_r=0). So, now I can only watch HTML5 videos on Giant Bomb (no live streams for me anymore). Unfortunately, none of the three HTML5 options (low, high, HD) run particularly well for me. They just stutter. Like others have said, when YouTube is an option, I opt for that (as I can actually watch smooth, stutterless video there). I just wish there was a way that they could do their premium streams through a special YouTube player (i.e. it's not simply an unlisted stream that can be shared).

download the video, fuck all streaming video players.

watch upf

I did. Didn't realize you were doing DMX Goomba.

Is anyone looking forward to Until Dawn (out next week)? In one of the threads over in gaming, some people (maybe small site reviewers) are implying they are really enjoying it. I think I will probably enjoy it, but I recall similar claims prior to The Order: 1886 (I personally enjoyed it somewhat). I honestly think some reviewers are going to love it for being a love letter to 80's Teen Slashers, whereas other reviewers will do the opposite and find the story cheesy, outdated, and immature. The reason I'm excited for it is because, when I showed my younger brother and older sister (who does not even remotely like video games) the PSX gameplay demo, they both told me they wanted me to get the game. I'm excited because my sister is the type who watches a horror movie and is always questioning the intelligence and actions of the characters. This game will give her the chance to put up or shut up. Think the character shouldn't hide under the bed and should instead run away? That split-second decision is up to you. I think I'm going to hide the fact from them that the PS Camera records the jump scare moments. HAHAHA!

LiK

Is anyone looking forward to Until Dawn (out next week)? In one of the threads over in gaming, some people (maybe small site reviewers) are implying they are really enjoying it. I think I will probably enjoy it, but I recall similar claims prior to The Order: 1886 (I personally enjoyed it somewhat). I honestly think some reviewers are going to love it for being a love letter to 80's Teen Slashers, whereas other reviewers will do the opposite and find the story cheesy, outdated, and immature. The reason I'm excited for it is because, when I showed my younger brother and older sister (who does not even remotely like video games) the PSX gameplay demo, they both told me they wanted me to get the game. I'm excited because my sister is the type who watches a horror movie and is always questioning the intelligence and actions of the characters. This game will give her the chance to put up or shut up. Think the character shouldn't hide under the bed and should instead run away? That split-second decision is up to you. I think I'm going to hide the fact from them that the PS Camera records the jump scare moments. HAHAHA!

i'm excited for LPs and streams with the streaming interaction. no interest in actually playing it.

i'm excited for LPs and streams with the streaming interaction. no interest in actually playing it.

Can't wait for the Halloween streams of it. As much as it would have destroyed any chance of success for the game, I actually wish they would have released it closer to Halloween with an awesome marketing campaign. Odd that there is no Quick Look on the schedule yet. Many other sites have done coverage. I wonder if this is another MGSV situation.

No read mgs spoiler thread.

I know about the review event. I'm wondering if Until Dawn has some sort of weird embargo thing going on as well. Giant Bomb has taken a firm stance against dumb embargoes/review limitations/etc. I mean, the whole Mario Maker thing seems ridiculous. I'm happy they were able to play some of it on UPF. It's a shame they had to be so tip-toey about it.

Copenap

I know it's terrible to critizise the duders for their play but...

I've never played a single moba match and still it was painfull to watch how terrible Dan was in that Hots ql.

That was a nice UPF, great to see some Mario Maker. Would have been cool to see Jeff play some random levels, but it's understandable he didn't due to the embargo stuff.
Want to feel old?

It's been nearly 8 years since Starcraft 2 was announced.

Hell, it's about time.
Heads up! If you have a PS4, the Call of Duty: Black Ops III Beta is open to all PS4 owners now, regardless if you pre-ordered the game or not.
Cool, I can start the download now and it'll be done just in time for the beta to end!
I don't care about Call of Duty or first person shooters on consoles so whatever.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

I've never played a single moba match and still it was painfull to watch how terrible Dan was in that Hots ql.

Everyone is like that to an extent in their first MOBA. He wasn't that bad.

the only thing i found myself eye-twitching over in the hots QL was the one time I saw dan just standing in melee range attacking someone else

bro you're ranged you gotta kite backwards

kiting is considered an advanced technique in the grand scheme of things but when you think about it it's common sense

Aaron

So basically you're a blind man complaining about a painter's color choices. If you've never played a single match, how can you even begin to say any of his actions are incorrect? You have nothing to weigh the comparison against.

The only thing Dan did wrong was not pay enough attention to the mini-map, which led to him being jumped a few times. That happens to pro Dota 2 players so even that's not really a noob move.

jgminto

Dan wasn't playing great but it was okay because he was actually learning as the quick look went on, it made for a pretty enjoyable one.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

I hate to criticize people who've been playing MOBA's "forever" but why are they so hyper critical about newbie players and generally kinda dickish in play?

Almost pulled a Drew in Ground Zeroes but I was caught at the front of the gate. I should of kept driving and kept my 0 alerts.
Heads up! If you have a PS4, the Call of Duty: Black Ops III Beta is open to all PS4 owners now, regardless if you pre-ordered the game or not.
I might download it when it comes to PC just to hear the character say dumb stuff.

Also stats for MG Scanlon
Xb8W64I.png

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The last game on UPF is one of those Iron Galaxy published indies, right? I could not decipher what was going on in that segment.

Dan wasn't playing great but it was okay because he was actually learning as the quick look went on, it made for a pretty enjoyable one.
Yeah this, it's what made it a good QL.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I hate to criticize people who've been playing MOBA's "forever" but why are they so hyper critical about newbie players and generally kinda dickish in play?

wat the guy you are quoting hasn't played a moba. If anything the moba people (myself included) are being more supportive...

I tried out some HOTS (1000+ hrs of Dota) and the community there is far, far worse than in Dota. I don't know why either, given it is a more casual game.

Xater

I really hope the CK2 playdate is a recurring thing. Really entertaining stuff.

Kinda cool how people now see why CK2 is so much fun. It's a game about weird personal stories in the middle ages, and a lot of fucked up stuff happened back then.

BTW I totally re-installed the game yesterday and bought 3 expansions that looked interesting. After I am done with Shadowrun I will play a new game as a viking.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Kinda cool how people now see why CK2 is so much fun. It's a game about weird personal stories in the middle ages, and a lot of fucked up stuff happened back then.

BTW I totally re-installed the game yesterday and bought 3 expansions that looked interesting. After I am done with Shadowrun I will play a new game as a viking.

The Idle Thumbs streams of the game a year(?) ago were really fun. Because of its steady pace and creation of your own stories it is very conducive to streaming. I hope it continues. I loved them trying to replicate Vinny's trademark black t shirt

God I both do and don't wanna look at the spoiler thread... For someone who has read them... Are they juicy?

Please can we keep spoilers isolated to that thread :(

Copenap

So basically you're a blind man complaining about a painter's color choices. If you've never played a single match, how can you even begin to say any of his actions are incorrect? You have nothing to weigh the comparison against.

The only thing Dan did wrong was not pay enough attention to the mini-map, which led to him being jumped a few times. That happens to pro Dota 2 players so even that's not really a noob move.
Because it was obvious. Guess what, I have played games before and moba's are not rocket science. It's really just common sense.

Edit: Anyways, as I said, I'm really not a fan of calling the gb crew out for this but for some reason that bothered me a lot, ql was still great though.

God I both do and don't wanna look at the spoiler thread... For someone who has read them... Are they juicy?

What Twin Tails said was basically my reaction.

When I looked yesterday it seemed like there was a mix of speculation and actual facts but it seems like a lot of important story stuff is in the leaks.

If you don't want to have huge chunks of the plot spoiled don't bother looking.

daxy

I had a revelation last night watching the show about the GB crew's family names being of European descent. Then it realized that it wasn't actually that many of them.

Jeff Gerstmann (German)
Jason Oestreicher (Austrian, perhaps German)
Vinny Caravella (Italian)
Dan Ryckert (Dutch or Belgian)
Patrick Klepek (Polish?)
Drew Scanlon (Irish? I think he mentioned this in some video)

Others:
Dave Snider (anglicized Schneider?)
Brad Shoemaker (anglicized Schumacher?)
Alex Navarro
Matt Rorie
Ryan Davis
Austin Walker

Anyway, what a show. The DMX goomba had me in tears.

It's nothing like the Order: 1886. It has much more in common with a game like Heavy Rain/Beyond where you walk around solving relatively realistic, simple puzzles and then participate in more action oriented sequences where you're running away. Although you have direct controls like in Beyond. Think the embargo is up Monday morning.

The Order: 1886 was just a straight shooter with cutscenes here and there. Honestly there weren't even that many outside of 25 minute cutscene towards the very end of the game. You're playing 90% of the time, slow walking 5% of the time, and watching a cutscene 5% of the time. Pretty standard really. I think there were maybe two, three QTEs in the entire game? Which makes their inclusion all the more off.

Xater

I love horror flicks so this seems made for me, but the minimal gameplay is not something I am into. I might play it if I can get it int he future for a third of the price. Like what a Blu-ray would cost.

tchocky

How was UPF?

Tron game was good, I found the Viva pInata section boring but if you like the game you could enjoy it, Mario Maker was incredible and is a must watch and then they played a four player game I forget the name of and I always find them games boring to watch.

Xater

Tron game was good, I found the Viva pInata section boring but if you like the game you could enjoy it, Mario Maker was incredible and is a must watch and then they played a four player game I forget the name of and I always find them games boring to watch.

I would only watch the Mario Maker part.

Aaron

Because it was obvious. Guess what, I have played games before and moba's are not rocket science. It's really just common sense.

Edit: Anyways, as I said, I'm really not a fan of calling the gb crew out for this but for some reason that bothered me a lot, ql was still great though.
Except it's not obvious since most MOBA mechanics run against common sense. I'm just saying don't talk shit when you're only assuming you know what you're talking about. Sumail on Evil Geniuses got ganked much in the same way Dan did, and his play made him a millionaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom