• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Risen 1 being great and generally well received. Very comparable to the Gothic games in terms of openness. Risen 2 was pretty bad though, much more linear and with all the same combat flaws of the rest of the series.

Risen 3 is meant to be much more open like the first game and you can go about completing the game's quests in any order. Multiple paths to the end game, and so on. Got average reviews overall but a lot of people seemed to like the game going by the OT and big PC sites like Rock Paper Shotgun. Super janky but with the Gothic esqe charm and freeform quest design.

I've just started the third one and if nothing else it's surprisingly pretty once you get off the first island.

It's going up soon according to Jeff on his Mixlr yesterday.

Nice. Hope they devote solid time to talk about NXT.

I am going into that more interested than anything about Summerslam

Also, ROH deserves some talk, and with the NJPW stuff happening in both, we could get some of that thrown in too.

I usually don't mind them complaining a bit (which is the podcast norm), but there is enough outside SS for to pull back on the complaining a bit this time.

Nero18

I had a revelation last night watching the show about the GB crew's family names being of European descent. Then it realized that it wasn't actually that many of them.

Jeff Gerstmann (German)
Jason Oestreicher (Austrian, perhaps German)
Vinny Caravella (Italian)
Dan Ryckert (Dutch or Belgian)
Patrick Klepek (Polish?)
Drew Scanlon (Irish? I think he mentioned this in some video)

Others:
Dave Snider (anglicized Schneider?)
Brad Shoemaker (anglicized Schumacher?)
Alex Navarro
Matt Rorie
Ryan Davis
Austin Walker

Anyway, what a show. The DMX goomba had me in tears.

I dont know if he has said it or not but Gerstmann sounds dutch to me, also dont think the german use two n's like that. Recently saw someone belgian who was named Ryckert.

hamchan

Mario Maker looks like an easy GOTY to me. Even if you don't care about creating levels, you still have access to an unlimited supply of new levels for some of the best games ever created. It's almost cheating in the GOTY awards.

Played some HOTS last night after watching the QL. Won one, lost one. Not sure how much more I'll play. I played Dota 2 for about a month but gave up because I thought there was too much to be constantly worried about to be really successful. I think it's the opposite with HOTS. There doesn't seem to be enough to keep me occupied mentally.

Also, still no Power Bombcast.

Curufinwe

There's a funny story from a Game Informer dude at the end of the latest 84-play podcast about Dan refusing to eat fresh raspberries because he said a deer may have wiped its ass on them. They also talk about how Dan refused to watch the Double Fine documentary because he said he already knew how game development worked.

Haunted

I dont know if he has said it or not but Gerstmann sounds dutch to me, also dont think the german use two n's like that. Recently saw someone belgian who was named Ryckert.
German does use two n's like that, no problem.

It could be either Dutch or German, the languages share common and close ancestry after all (could also have roots in any of the other German-speaking countries, of course).

Haunted

I believe Klepek is a Polish name, and Gerstmann is German. So you can see why Patrick was wanted to leave.
image.php

jaina

Which of these Quick Looks from the past weeks should I watch next?
  • Beyond Eyes
  • Everybody's [...] rapture
  • Toy Soldiers
  • Feist
  • Airscape
  • Trine 3
Thanks for the help!

I have just realized Austin is a great surrogate for Dave Snider. The stuff he enjoys is not always the most entertaining on video, but teamed with Vinny poking him to do stupid stuff it works very well.

Which of these Quick Looks from the past weeks should I watch next?
  • Beyond Eyes
  • Everybody's [...] rapture
  • Toy Soldiers
  • Feist
  • Airscape
  • Trine 3
Thanks for the help!

Feist is probably the most entertaining. Really long QL of something tat does not need that long of a QL, but it goes places.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
upf dmx goomba bit was hilarious

dan was losing it brad shoemaker style

PBPLBUM.gif

jaina

Alright, Feist is prime candidate. I remember the question why there's such a long QL for a 2d platformer. Beast got hooked it seems.

Haunted

Alright, Feist is prime candidate. I remember the question why there's such a long QL for a 2d platformer. Beast got hooked it seems.
Beast just make it look easy, like they enjoy each other's company while they're talking about shit.

Also helps that Vinny has always tended to push for longer QLs (as long as it doesn't spoil the whole game) just because he wants to see what's next - and the team seems to have enough space to indulge a bit more in the NY office.

Great chemistry between the three.

It's weird how, for as much as Crusader Kings II seems super complicated and difficult on the surface, a lot of it is just watching random events trigger.

Xater

It's weird how, for as much as Crusader Kings II seems super complicated and difficult on the surface, a lot of it is just watching random events trigger.

There are a lot of stats involved and some terminology to figure out. Medieval politics are a bit weird. After that actually playing it is not that complicated I think.

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 releases next week. I look forward to Dan doing a QL since he enjoyed the last One Piece game he played.

AColdDay

K8944Bd.png

Role-playing as Jeff is working out just great. I know that he would definitely have some cyberware installed at this point, I just can't find where to get it installed :(

hamchan

I thought that watching someone else play Crusaders King II had no chance to be entertaining but GBeast made it happen.

tchocky

I thought that watching someone else play Crusaders King II had no chance to be entertaining but GBeast made it happen.

The idle thumbs play through is also really entertaining and none of them had any idea how to play the game beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom