• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
honestly, they're doing people a favor. With zero hyperbole, i can put my half a game's worth of time with MGSV already into one of my top 10 games ever. The latter half of MGSV could just be Kojima's gaping asshole farting onto the screen at 480i and 10 fps and I would still declare it the best game I've played in years. I can't remember having this much trouble putting a controller down since RDR.

So hopefully those that haven't played it and are patiently waiting for the series to start pick up a copy sometime. It's such a fucking treat to play this yourself and unlike some of the older games it is completely competent gameplay wise when compared to its modern peers.

Yup. One of the best games I've played in a long time, if ever. And as someone who doesn't have any kind of attachment to the story, but an appreciation of where these games go in its narrative, it was a fun ride and a nice break from the gameplay.

I really enjoyed the first 20 hours or so of MGS, however once you got through the maps and started to see locations repeat themselves I being to get a little tired of it. There's a some good core mechanics and the variety of ways you can approach missions is great, but the areas and mission variety really started to wear thin on me and the story wasn't interesting enough to keep my gripped.

If they ditched the open world for well designed unique levels and instead of the phone game mechanics of motherbase you unlocked gear through completing objectives the game would've been great.

I'm really glad that my worry of this being a Witcher 3 thing for me was totally wrong. This is pretty fantastically tight. Shooting is brilliant, everything feels good to play.

I'd really like to see if the people in love with MGS5 are Metal Gear fans. The game plays excellently, but everything else drags it down. It's still really good. Definitely vying for near the top of my GOTY list.

But this is the least metal gear metal gear game pretty much ever so i dont see how there would be a correlation. Hell, if anything some of the diehards are actually pretty bummed about how the anime in MGS got cut down to tapes instead of the hour long messes they used to be.

tuxfool

Banned
I really enjoyed the first 20 hours or so of MGS, however once you got through the maps and started to see locations repeat themselves I being to get a little tired of it. There's a some good core mechanics and the variety of ways you can approach missions is great, but the areas and mission variety really started to wear thin on me and the story wasn't interesting enough to keep my gripped.

If they ditched the open world for well designed unique levels and instead of the phone game mechanics of motherbase you unlocked gear through completing objectives the game would've been great.

Somebody did point out that the repetitive structure of the latter parts of the game and side-ops wouldn't be remedied by it not being open world. Nobody uses the "open-world" aspect of it for anything other than catching animals. Even the convoy missions take place in enclosed mission areas.

MGS's extremely intricate mechanics and unmatched attention to detail have always been why I've loved the series. Otherwise it'd just be another awful game like Deadly Premonition that gets by on its quirk.

My biggest problem with MGS V is the lack of interiors or any location on the scale of even Camp Omega. Gameplay is extremely tight but too many of the locations are tiny and I just went on auto pilot after a while for a lot of it. Still think it's a grand, but totally unfinished game. The fact that you can grind out repetitive side ops for 50 extra hours doesn't change that. Will still go back to it every now and again to enjoy the mechanics.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
But this is the least metal gear metal gear game pretty much ever so i dont see how there would be a correlation. Hell, if anything some of the diehards are actually pretty bummed about how the anime in MGS got cut down to tapes instead of the hour long messes they used to be.

Exactly my point. People who don't care for Metal Gear love MGSV, while those that love Metal Gear are kind of sour on it.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'd really like to see if the people in love with MGS5 are Metal Gear fans. The game plays excellently, but everything else drags it down. It's still really good. Definitely vying for near the top of my GOTY list.
I was in the same exact boat as Drew, knew some stuff through osmosis, some time seeing Metal Gear 2 with a friend, though he had hilarious mods for it. I've watched almost all of Metal Gear Scanlon now, and I love MGS5. However, I'm one of those people who love open worlds, the freedom it gives the player is exactly what I'm looking for and it's super rewarding.
I thought that was alr1ght's point, to see if diehards still love the game despite it not being like Metal Gear.

edit: damn it, that's what I get for answering your post as well.

Exactly my point. People who don't care for Metal Gear love MGSV, while those that love Metal Gear are kind of sour on it.

I was in the same exact boat as Drew, knew some stuff through osmosis, some time seeing Metal Gear 2 with a friend, though he had hilarious mods for it. I've watched almost all of Metal Gear Scanlon now, and I love MGS5. However, I'm one of those people who love open worlds, the freedom it gives the player is exactly what I'm looking for and it's super rewarding.
I thought that was alr1ght's point, to see if diehards still love the game despite it not being like Metal Gear.

edit: damn it, that's what I get for answering your post as well.

Oh, well i guess i couldn't suss that out because while i have loved the series since MGS1 i was fully aware of its many flaws, mainly that they always felt like they were clunky to play for anyone not following the series from the beginning and that the anime shit got too anime even for someone who likes that sort of stuff.

You have to realize that some of us came out of that fucking eternal ending of MGS4 basically wondering if this series was worth giving a shit about anymore. Then, you had an okay game in Peace Walker whose story was dumb as shit but whose gameplay was actually kinda alright with the deployments and mother base stuff. And Ground Zeroes was okay but then you had vagina bombs and a 100 minute campaign so yeah.

I came to V with zero expectations really. I loved the series but if the reception for MGSV was "it's more MGS4" i would've picked it up for cheap in 6-12 months just to see it as a curiosity. That it's this terrific is a surprise. So i guess i was in the middle of it all.

I adore each MGS game and absolutely love MGSV. I love that MGSV brings something new to the table in the franchise instead of being just another straight forward Metal Gear game like 1-4 was. Always excited when a company tries something new with their games when the formula is starting to get repetitive (even if in a way MGSV is just a grander PW except much better in nearly every way). Just the fact that by the time MGS4 dropped that most people just stopped giving a shit about the game itself and just wanted to get to the next cutscene was a problem, and MGSV alleviates that in spades, ocassionally to a fault in some situations.

Its the most well designed MGS game since 3, and even with its cut content, feels like a more complete game than most bigger games I've played.

oti

Banned
PSA:

MGS GAF, you out!
Destiny GAF, take over!

I just want the spoiler discussion to end, THERES A SPOILER THREAD FOR THAT YOU ANIMALS

MGSV is just a grander PW except much better in nearly every way

my excitement for the game jumped up a million points when it seemed like this is what it'd be, and the end result is somehow better than I expected it to be. and i love dumbass MGS bullshit. I'm just happy to have a great game.

heck, I just found out you can get a sleep gas grenade launcher (somehow missed that one) so now I want work to be over so I can develop it and play around

my excitement for the game jumped up a million points when it seemed like this is what it'd be, and the end result is somehow better than I expected it to be. and i love dumbass MGS bullshit. I'm just happy to have a great game.

heck, I just found out you can get a sleep gas grenade launcher (somehow missed that one) so now I want work to be over so I can develop it and play around

Yup, I loved the ideas of PW, but it really felt held back due to its lackluster level design, the limitations of the more archaic MGS controls, and with the fact that its on handheld.

oti

Banned
One was something I consider a minor spoiler, but the context of the post told you it was an endgame thing, and the rest were mentions of equipment. There's next to no story discussion here.

I don't really care what you consider to be a small or a big spoiler though. :p
And there's still a Spoiler thread and an OT for all of that.

chrixter

Attach one to the underbarrel of a double-suppressed 8x-scoped tranquilizer sniper rifle (the rapid-fire one with a 20 bullet mag size, not the bolt-action) for a ridiculous non-lethal weapon.

Somebody did point out that the repetitive structure of the latter parts of the game and side-ops wouldn't be remedied by it not being open world. Nobody uses the "open-world" aspect of it for anything other than catching animals. Even the convoy missions take place in enclosed mission areas.

I think a lot of it comes down to level design and I'd say that no area of the game is designed as well as the level in Ground Zeroes which at least partially comes down to the open world. Also I think alternate objectives for missions ala GZ would offer more variety than the side-ops do. Though to be honest I think the game would benefit greatly from cutting a lot of the fat.

Live QL? AWESOME!!!... Oh wait, it's Destiny.... a boring bad MMO game no one refuses to let die. Nevermind, I'll stick with doing literally anything else.

tuxfool

Banned
I think a lot of it comes down to level design and I'd say that no area of the game is designed as well as the level in Ground Zeroes which at least partially comes down to the open world. Also I think alternate objectives for missions ala GZ would offer more variety than the side-ops do. Though to be honest I think the game would benefit greatly from cutting a lot of the fat.

I suspect that the original plan for the side-ops wasn't as expansive. They just cloned them to add padding to the game. The game did not need 9 extract prisoner/(wandering)soldier missions (all occurring in the exact same places down to the metre as the main missions).

The number of side-ops that take place in that square fort in Afghanistan is ridiculous.

I suspect that the original plan for the side-ops wasn't as expansive. They just cloned them to add padding to the game. The game did not need 9 extract prisoner/(wandering)soldier missions (all occurring in the exact same places down to the metre as the main missions).

The number of side-ops that take place in that square fort in Afghanistan is ridiculous.

I wouldn't be surprised if the wandering soldiers stuff was meant to be in camp omega and they needed to find a way to quickly get those side ops working with the maps they had

I wouldn't be surprised if the wandering soldiers stuff was meant to be in camp omega and they needed to find a way to quickly get those side ops working with the maps they had

That'd be kind of weird if your old soldiers were just wandering around a prison camp. It makes more sense to have them spread out across the other locations in the game.

The evacuate the prisoner ones would have made more sense.

tuxfool

Banned

Sure. The solution is basically the same for all of them, there didn't need to be 9 of these missions.

There are so many side ops in general, I eventually just went for the quickest way to resolve them: grenade launcher+Quiet, extract, done.

Peace Walker was WAY more repetitive than TPP.

kvk1

it's your boy

hWI1ScR.jpg

https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/643814310410457089

Curufinwe

I read a 20 page article about Destiny in Edge last night. Even though I won't play it it was interesting to read how badly they fucked up and all the changes they are making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom