• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

I got back into Destiny over the past month. It's actually a good game with decent content now and significantly better with TTK.

It deserved every criticism at launch, for sure, but I think it's a game worth checking out in its current state. If you don't have friends to play with and are unwilling to use LFG sites, I probably wouldn't until a good discount shows up though.

mobile gaming would be dead if people got sick of bars filling.

and to be fair to even shit year one destiny, that game felt really good. Coming from Borderlands as my last shlooter, the difference in enemy AI and gunplay is fucking night and day. And i got that much just from the alpha and beta alone, i just picked up my copy of TKK for dirt cheap during my lunch break

tuxfool

Banned
North as the ghost sounds a little TOO guilty spark-ish in some of his delivery.

I can't get past that MMOs still use words like I and you and treat each player character as the only person that matters in the world, when the illusion breaks as soon as you see another PC in the world.

It was one of the things that they originally promised for Destiny, that the game would get away from those notions in clever ways.

repeater

I don't know what that means, but I watched that comparison video posted last week and he didn't sound like somebody being held at gunpoint to read bad lines, so he was a huge improvement.
Yeah, someone reading all those bad lines with the right kind of pathos really makes all the difference.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah, someone reading all those bad lines with the right kind of pathos really makes all the difference.

It does. Most games have terribly written dialogue. You're a fucking actor, act. Act like an annoying sarcastic robot that was programmed to think it is funny, not like a confused man who doesn't want to be in the room who is now stuck in my headphones for the next 500 hours of shooting things.

edit I imagine it wasn't all his fault, a VA director should have been there to give him some sort of idea for the character and to not accept the terrible performances. But god damn. Microsoft Sam would have been more convincing and cheaper in the role.

KC Denton

It does. Most games have terribly written dialogue. You're a fucking actor, act. Act like an annoying sarcastic robot that was programmed to think it is funny, not like a confused man who doesn't want to be in the room who is now stuck in my headphones for the next 500 hours of shooting things.

edit I imagine it wasn't all his fault, a VA director should have been there to give him some sort of idea for the character and to not accept the terrible performances. But god damn. Microsoft Sam would have been more convincing and cheaper in the role.
"Confused man who doesn't want to be in the room" describes my mental state when I used to play Destiny perfectly. Dinklebot was far more relatable to me than Nolandroid.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
"Confused man who doesn't want to be in the room" describes my mental state when I used to play Destiny perfectly. Dinklebot was far more relatable to me than Nolandroid.

I'd be all for some sort of meta-commentary on what the game became through the ghost character, but if that were the intention they should have left in the parts after his lines where he asked for a smoke break and repeatedly wondered out loud when the check would arrive.

Bacon

Wow destiny looks great
zFIRA6W.png

Just tuned into the Destiny quick look and it's great to see them in a firefight on Earth, in an area I've already been to.

I can't wait for the enemies to adapt to his grenade play and start showing up in full riot suits. That's where the game shines, I think- forcing you to use tactics outside your comfort zone.

Here's the thing about that, though: My gameplay style is "move in on dudes, hold them up, then choke them the fuck out after getting intel from them." There's nothing to deter me from that specifically.

I would think by 2015 and its oversaturation of bars filling, people would be sick of it.

we're in the double-digits of call of duty releases for a reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom