• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaina

Games totally put their best/most polished stuff right at the beginning. That's the 1 hour which appears in conference/convention demos, on livestreams, in Quick Look-like videos and so on. And because often, as achievements have shown, most of the players do not finish the game, it makes sense to have an interesting introduction and polish it to one of the best parts of the game.

AcridMeat

Banned
You know what game the shooting felt good in?

Wolfenstein: The New Order. And it had content at launch.
And it was still beaten by Destiny in GOTY.

I dunno, the visuals are cool here. I think it's a load of crap that a $40 expansion had them go to a previous location already.

I don't know what to say to you if you didn't think that Sunbreakers quest was cool as shit.

Really? I thought it dragged out the "hey you got a new power" thing a bit too much. Should have either done a few less waves, or have made it permanently on through the whole thing just to have fun.

Hey hey we haven't fought the Take King yet. It will be so satisfying that his visual effects will make you drop your controller and pull your eye balls out. Tell me won't you be satisfied then??

I just finished that yesterday! for some reason I got to literally the second half of the last level and stopped playing. So I took a half hour to get it off my "have to play" list in steam.

Games totally put their best/most polished stuff right at the beginning. That's the 1 hour which appears in conference/convention demos, on livestreams, in Quick Look-like videos and so on. And because often, as achievements have shown, most of the players do not finish the game, it makes sense to have an interesting introduction and polish it to one of the best parts of the game.

hell, it was common philosophy to put the last levels you worked on in a game first in the order (something done by the makers of doom as well as super mario bros), since you're more experienced with making levels for the game by the end

do you understand how wrong you are yet, Liamc723

Liamc723

hell, it was common philosophy to put the last levels you worked on in a game first in the order (something done by the makers of doom as well as super mario bros), since you're more experienced with making levels for the game by the end

do you understand how wrong you are yet, Liamc723

The focal point of The Taken King is the new location in the Dreadnaught, so everyone who disregards the expansion before even seeing it is being unfair. The opening levels here are just that, building you up to the Dreadnaught.

Do you understand how wrong you are yet, Piston Hyundai?

jaina

The focal point of The Taken King is the new location in the Dreadnaught, so everyone who disregards the expansion before even seeing it is being unfair. The opening levels here are just that, building you up to the Dreadnaught.
Yes you might have a point in this particular case of Destiny.

heisenberg.gif

I've never played the game, I don't spend a lot of time around threads about the game so I could be way off base, but based off of just being around here and other gaming related sites, there seems to be a lack of interest in the Destiny universe in general for such a hugely popular game. I haven't run into Destiny cosplay, I don't see Destiny universe or character talk seep into other discussions. There's no denying that it's huge but for how popular it is, I would expect to have absorbed a lot of Destiny information through osmosis but I know absolutely nothing about the Destiny universe.

Bacon

I've never played the game, I don't spend a lot of time around threads about the game so I could be way off base, but based off of just being around here and other gaming related sites, there seems to be a lack of interest in the Destiny universe in general for such a hugely popular game. I haven't run into Destiny cosplay, I don't see Destiny universe or character talk seep into other discussions. There's no denying that it's huge but for how popular it is, I would expect to have absorbed a lot of Destiny information through osmosis but I know absolutely nothing about the Destiny universe.

Because the game's story thus far has been quite literally nonsense

tuxfool

Banned

That is because there were no characters that inspired people. They're trying here, now, but they're not going to get prizes for doing things that elicit a shrug in any other game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Obviously. It's hard to cosplay as your gun. And that's where the true Destiny story is.

I feel like you're hyping the Dreadnaught way more than it deserves, it's neat but it's nothing crazy. The Taken King isn't going to change the minds of people who don't care about Destiny because it's still not quite there, TTK is strong proof that Bungie is aware of the changes the game needs and that they are trying to make those changes but if you didn't care about Destiny it's not going to change your mind.

Hey, I wasn't disregarding the expansion because it had a slow start. I was just pointing out that a hell of a lot of games actually do throw the best shit at you at the start. There's a reason most people's memories of Sonic Adventure were "well that whale was pretty cool."

If I'm going to disregard the Taken King, I'm going to do so because it's for Destiny.

Liamc723

I feel like you're hyping the Dreadnaught way more than it deserves, it's neat but it's nothing crazy. The Taken King isn't going to change the minds of people who don't care about Destiny because it's still not quite there, TTK is strong proof that Bungie is aware of the changes the game needs and that they are trying to make those changes but if you didn't care about Destiny it's not going to change your mind.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I'm just stating that completely disregarding the expansion before even seeing its main feature is doing it a disservice.

This Dreadnaught looks a heck of a lot like the Hive structures on the moon...

oti

Banned
If Brad even dares to bring up Destiny during GOTY deliberations I WILL reach through my phone and SLAP'IM.

SLAP'IM

Liamc723

This Dreadnaught looks a heck of a lot like the Hive structures on the moon...

Okay..? I haven't given my personal opinions on what I think to the location, I only said that it's unfair to judge the expansion before you see it's main selling point. If you still don't want to play The Taken King after this mission then that's fine.

Personally, I loved the main story missions.

oti

Banned
brad's number 1 game was the same for the past two years

let's not pretend like he gives a shit about "rules"

Not like GB as a whole cares that much about rules and that's a good thing.

And I couldn't care less about his personal Top 10 but another GOTY 2014 podcast would kill me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom