• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a Japan person explain how super-short anime stuff like Wakakozake or Chi's Sweet Home airs over there? Like, do they just have a half hour variety block were they air a bunch of 3 minute animes back to back? How do you monetize a thing that's already half as long as a commercial break?

*shines stump sock signal, which is is too lewd to describe here*

afaik, most anime doesn't air on broadcast tv, it's on satellite channels, etc. I'm far from an expert if I'm being completely honest.

however, I can tell you that, especially late at night, they don't really bother with the "every half hour" method of show scheduling. pretty much anything goes. so you'll see a lot of 10 or 15 minute shows mixed in with shows that are like 70 minutes or whatever. I'm sure that if those short shows are aired somewhere, they're just thrown in the mix at like 2am or something

e: for example, this show is like 2 minutes long, airs at 3:56am 3 times a week

http://www.tbs.co.jp/ebichu/

Wakakozake sounded super interesting, even though I rarely enjoy anime. So I gave it a shot. Cutting out the 30 second intro, each episode is 1:30 ... It's an enjoyable little clip show, but nothing I would call "Amazing" like some people are claiming, and there is 12 episodes. So the whole series takes less than 1 full episode of any normal TV show (Without commercials) to get through. It's good, but not a great show, and if that is considered a great anime, I don't think I'm missing much.

It's good, but not a great show, and if that is considered a great anime, I don't think I'm missing much.

I don't think there are that many people who consider it to be a great anime, but great shorts with nicely drawn food. It'd be like saying the new Vixen series is a good western animation; it looks nice but it's not really a show when it's about five minutes long per episode.

There's also the fact that there's a lot of really, really shitty anime coming out right now.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So, video game voice actors may go on strike or something? What's happening here?:

Steve Blum's Twitter full of voice actors signing a strike authorization agreement.

Blum's short video for actors to vote.

The SAG AFTRA negotiations.

On one hand, the things they list as their demands seem entirely reasonable.

On the other hand, video game voice acting was only ever good when it was terrible so let's go back to the days when it was the developer's cousin and the janitor adding lines to games.

AcridMeat

Banned
The settings in terms of combat provide little variety and the lack of skills makes it feel soooo boring. Like I don't know why these online shooter rpgs like Borderlands and Destiny copy everything from Diablo EXCEPT the large amount of abilities.

Even fucking Global Agenda had a fun variety of abilities.

My guess is because, especially in Destiny's case, it's a console game. Diablo 3 works on a console because the base mechanics are fairly simple, you can attack and dodge, and every other button can be used to map abilities. Destiny as an FPS uses nearly every button on the controller for base mechanics, so it'd be pretty hard to map a suite of abilities as well. You could set up a toggle to switch abilities on something like clicking the left stick, but that would be really clunky to use in mid fight. Borderlands has the same limitation.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Drew B. Scanlon had an anecdote a long time ago about getting into his friend's email account in college or something

He knows there are other Drews out there plotting to use his middle name and date of birth against him

Hopefully the crew talk about the recent scandalous Derek Smart reveal instead of taking his comments seriously to continue talking trash about Star Citizen instead of paying attention to its progress.

Hopefully the crew talk about the recent scandalous Derek Smart reveal instead of taking his comments seriously to continue talking trash about Star Citizen instead of paying attention to its progress.

Amen to that, brother. Them granting that guy any legitimacy was such a shame to hear. Everything around Star Citizen is such a blind spot for Giant Bomb right now, but they still comment on it as if they are informed.

tchocky

Metal Gear Scanlon V - Part 02
Video - Thursday at 5:00 AM

2785077-mgsv02.jpg

tuxfool

Banned
Amen to that, brother. Them granting that guy any legitimacy was such a shame to hear. Everything around Star Citizen is such a blind spot for Giant Bomb right now, but they still comment on it as if they are informed.

They're no different from most of the press. Though others are more measured in their responses.

I don't actually remember them discussing Star Citizen recently, outside of the ship purchasing stuff which was kind of weird for anyone looking in from the outside? Wasn't Drew keeping tabs on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom