• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
"next to impossible" just tells me that there's some invisible blocks or some shit that I gotta find

It's not all that bad. There are a few annoying things, but a few accidental shortcuts that are reasonable and can skip some of the worst parts. You can absolutely finish it without seeing the stream or finding a single hidden thing though.

If you've played an expert 100 Mario challenge, you've seen far worse in dickishness and general challenge.

(There are minor spoilers I think in the conversation this is part of. But the below tweet is OK.)
Looks like GBEST is doing a quicklook of one of the best games released this year, Undertale!

I could sing the praises of this game all day and night. I really want to see what the GBEast crew think about the game. They...they haven't planned a playdate this week. Perhaps we might get lucky and see a playthrough on the site? :eek:

Ah I was wondering about if they were going to do this one. It really would seem like it's up Austin's alley.

Noaloha

Sorry, I wasn't specific, because I couldn't be arsed typing a bunch out on my phone. PC now, so I'll drop a full sentence or two, as a treat.

MGS5 has problems. It also has really high High Points. When MGS5 is a good game, fucking hell, it is a Good Game. But, as an overall game, it is FAR from ideal, quite the contrary. Its story (and presentation of 'story') is peaks and troughs and whatevers, fun crazy shit and puerile playground shit and get-on-with-it exposition shit.

It has great gameplay, a ropey story (some of which is ugly-but-silly, or just plain ugly, your call), and then this whole resource fucking thing tacked underneath as a progression system with advancement numbers that just scream "fucks sake, what, do you expect me to leave my PC running overnight?" Fair warning: if ever a game makes me consider leaving it running idle, I immediately demote it to the Pile Of Questionable Worth.

Then, you know, fuckin' FOBs show up.

My point is that a GOTY, in my book, should ideally be a complete package. Maximum positives, minimal negatives.

Fucking CoC 'games as a service' mechanics would ideally not be validated with a Very Best Of The Year sticker. Said game can make do with a strongly triumphant sub-award.

Sorry, I wasn't specific, because I couldn't be arsed typing a bunch out on my phone. PC now, so I'll drop a full sentence or two, as a treat.

MGS5 has problems. It also has really high High Points. When MGS5 is a good game, fucking hell, it is a Good Game. But, as an overall game, it is FAR from ideal, quite the contrary. Its story (and presentation of 'story') is peaks and troughs and whatevers, fun crazy shit and puerile playground shit and get-on-with-it exposition shit.

It has great gameplay, a ropey story (some of which is ugly-but-silly, or just plain ugly, your call), and then this whole resource fucking thing tacked underneath as a progression system with advancement numbers that just scream "fucks sake, what, do you expect me to leave my PC running overnight?" Fair warning: if ever a game makes me consider leaving it running idle, I immediately demote it to the Pile Of Questionable Worth.

My point is that a GOTY, in my book, should ideally be a complete package. Maximum positives, minimal negatives.

Fucking CoC 'games as a service' mechanics would ideally not be validated with a Very Best Of The Year sticker. Said game can make do with a strongly triumphant sub-award.
Timers never bothered me in mgsv and I don't get the sense that they bothered most people. It's basically an extension of the same system from Peace Walker and a mechanic used in other popular games, too, such as the assassin's creed series.

Sucks that it bothered you but I found it to be fine.

I completely agree. It's sad because I really think Witcher 3 is a substantially better gamein every way, but everyone is so in love with Kojima it doesn't matter if he put the most reprehensible things in MSG5, they already said MGS5 is "miles away the best game this year/ever made"

The fact that they have barely touched Witcher since it came out in May, but all of them had no issue spending 80+ hours in less than 20 days says it all. MGS5 is the GOTY for GB.

Again, I'm not saying MGS is a bad game, but I think it's a very fun game for a bit, but the world is bland and boring, the story is barely there (if you can call it a story at all) and the best part of the game is the metagame and ballooning things away. So a few fun mechanics beat out anything. Witcher 3 has better storytelling, voice acting, quests, environments and everything else, but it wasn't made by Kojima so it automatically looses.

Noaloha

Let me put it this way then: do yo think that MGS5, by profit-maximising design, is at all targeted toward catching whales (and balanced such that it can be anjoyed equally by non-whale types)? (I think, resource numbers-wise, the game's resource progression (and hence item acquisition, is.) Do you think whale-catching games should be meritorious above all others? (I think not.)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It must really be a fun and rewarding level.

I wish guys like that would just stick to making Kaizo rom hacks instead of polluting the 100 Mario Challenge.

That's exactly what he had been doing. I still love seeing them, especially when you know it's not a tool-assisted run. Those were fun to watch a couple of to see what is technically possible in Mario but even if it took him an absurd amount of time to finish this he eventually did.

Plus it's not hard to come to a gap, realize you have no way to even begin to approach passing it, and skip the level.

Let me put it this way then: do yo think that MGS5, by profit-maximising design, is at all targeted toward catching whales (and balanced such that it can be anjoyed equally by non-whale types)? (I think, resource numbers-wise, the game's resource progression (and hence item acquisition, is.) Do you think whale-catching games should be meritorious above all others? (I think not.)

Ah jeez you're in this thread too?

That argument doesn't hold water. FOB isn't crippling your experience unless you seek to actively engage in it. Otherwise, you can ignore it after the tutorial and it's like it's not even in the game.

Is it designed to make money? Sure, the entirety of his industry is. Is that design in any way affecting the enjoyment of the average player? No, because only crazy people give a shit about fob

It must really be a fun and rewarding level.

I wish guys like that would just stick to making Kaizo rom hacks instead of polluting the 100 Mario Challenge.

The problem is how Super Mario Maker works. I'm sure he would be fine with not having the level show up on the 100 Mario Challenge at all but there's no way to opt out. It's crazy for people to not want these to exist for people to play just because the Super Mario Maker handles it's 100 Mario Challenges.

Noaloha

I completely agree. It's sad because I really think Witcher 3 is a substantially better gamein every way, but everyone is so in love with Kojima it doesn't matter if he put the most reprehensible things in MSG5, they already said MGS5 is "miles away the best game this year/ever made"

The fact that they have barely touched Witcher since it came out in May, but all of them had no issue spending 80+ hours in less than 20 days says it all. MGS5 is the GOTY for GB.

Again, I'm not saying MGS is a bad game, but I think it's a very fun game for a bit, but the world is bland and boring, the story is barely there (if you can call it a story at all) and the best part of the game is the metagame and ballooning things away. So a few fun mechanics beat out anything. Witcher 3 has better storytelling, voice acting, quests, environments and everything else, but it wasn't made by Kojima so it automatically looses.
Don't get me started on Witcher 3. :p

I have many, many serious issues with that game as a pillar of the video game medium. As a video game, I look at the interactive elements and.... um, it has a great Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story. Written, that is.

The movie elements are bad. The fundamental combat elements are terrible. Gwent is fucking awesome. Movement of your primary goddam character went from a shitshow to 'a slightly more tolerable shitshow.'

And worst of all, it's a game - a fundamentally interactive mediuym, with the most sluggish, muddy and hair-tearingly unresponsive Menu I can recall since Witcher 2. I thin I might be hypersensitive or something to laggy menus, I don't know, but fuck, CDPR are super shitty at them, I swear.

The problem is how Super Mario Maker works. I'm sure he would be fine with not having the level show up on the 100 Mario Challenge at all but there's no way to opt out. It's crazy for people to not want these to exist for people to play just because the Super Mario Maker handles it's 100 Mario Challenges.
It needs a lbp tagging system badly. It's a real knock against the game.

100 Mario Challenge is the real problem, no doubt, but I feel like rom hacks would be a better venue for the type of levels that guy makes. They grant much more freedom in level design, and the type of person that would want to play those levels (maniacs) would have rom hacks on their radar in the first place.

Key to Mario Maker expert levels is press start, see stars-to-plays ratio, hold select if unacceptable before wasting a life. Flat out 95% of expert levels are rotten with dead ends, twenty stacked enemies, what have you.

The shit levels that need to be tossed in the trash are the clusterfuck levels where the creator just spammed random enemies and a bunch of trampolines. Those are garbage that the world can do without. These ultra challenging levels with a 100% repeatable solution that requires immaculate execution on the other hand are a thing of beauty. However, they weren't intended to be beat by anyone in 100 tries.

hamchan

You really think everyone loves the game just because Kojima made it? I don't think his name holds any sway to them at all and it's ridiculous to say they have that bias when there's no indication of it.

Maybe it's because the actual gameplay of MGSV is worlds better than The Witcher. Yes, the Witcher has a much better story than MGSV but the combat is so clunky, it feels like a chore to play while MGSV feels amazing, top of the genre.

Obviously where you place it on your GOTY depends on how you weigh these different aspects of a game. It's pretty clear Jeff thinks all video game stories are already trash compared to books or film, and everyone else, while liking the story of The Witcher, apparently couldn't push through the bad feeling gameplay to even finish the game.

I feel the same, and it's a real struggle for me to push through it 30 hours in. It being super long doesn't help with how tedious I find it to play too. I preferred finishing the Witcher 2 in around 20 hours actually. I like the Witcher universe and have read all the books but it's not like it's an absolutely revolutionary fantasy series either. It's a good series that maybe seems great relative to the typical video game story.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
There have definitely been a few levels I've starred to come back to but skipped in the expert challenge. I had one that I absolutely loved playing, but I was on 15 or 20 attempts and only about halfway done so I saved it to play without worrying about lives.

Also, watching this Halo video... I really hate the reliance on iron sights in FPS games but I am completely fine with adding them if you are going to add ridiculous looking sci-fi game animations for the zoom. Also kind of with Jeff, I can't say why but this looks amazing and I haven't been interested in Halo since ever. I might even play the Master Chief collection that came with my Xbox now.

Kamek's projectile turns things into enemies or power-ups. This includes the blocks Dan used to block the exit of the level.

I just hung around and waited for there to be a big enough hole to reach the exit in.

EDIT: Also, does anyone have a link to the stream so I can watch the making of this damn thing?

I imagine targeting 60 fps and also making the game a looker on the platform was a huge challenge. I do believe they rely on a dynamic resolution to achieve it but looking at the youtube video, it looks pretty good and the framerate remained solid.

I imagine targeting 60 fps and also making the game a looker on the platform was a huge challenge. I do believe they rely on a dynamic resolution to achieve it but looking at the youtube video, it looks pretty good and the framerate remained solid.
They had really good tech to build on because halo 4 still looks pretty damn good these days.

The weird thing is that it feels like some enemies animate at 30 fps even though the game runs at 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom