• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, if Giant Bomb doesn't start to improve their video player I'll have to start thinking about not renewing my premium membership. As a Firefox user, I feel like I'm an update away from being unable to consistently view premium vids. It either doesn't start automatically, becomes a stuttering mess if I pause it for more than a minute, or is unable to remember my position in the video; it's just one thing or another, and none of the player types are a perfect solution. Youtube has been the best place to see Giant Bomb's videos for years now and it's just getting ridiculous.

Daaavvveeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm sorta curious, does anyone else have problems with their video player?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The Weird Science TV show had almost 100 episodes. I don't think that's true and that Wikipedia and IMDB are fucking with me.

I only knew Weird Science through the TV show until after it was finished. After it was off the air I saw that there was a movie and thought it was an adaptation of the series at first and I was young enough to be stupid enough to think that sounded good.

Well I definitely agree with Drew about the fulton system. Really wish it wasn't in the game.

Also, slamming isn't efficient as Dan thinks it is. Dudes are quickest to get up after slams.

demidar

Well I definitely agree with Drew about the fulton system. Really wish it wasn't in the game.

Also, slamming isn't efficient as Dan thinks it is. Dudes are quickest to get up after slams.

I like how it gives value to stealth and non-lethal approaches to encounters and encourages proper planning and routing, because scanning people in a firefight can get you killed.

Even better when there's a tank around.

Why does dan think slamming dudes is so much more efficient? Choking dudes out takes like 2 extra seconds if that
In MGSV, slam knockouts last a fraction of the length vs. choke-knockouts.

Someone listed the shortest and longest knockout times. IIRC a full CQC combo trumps all, with Z darts a tier or two below.
I'm a firefox user as well and the only issue I have is inconsistency with the saved position feature.
Baww, troubleshooting video player stuff is such a bother. I'll have to investigate it.

PBalfredo

Huh. Dan/the chat's level... outside of the troll pipes/doors and the Lakitus at the end, it actually doesn't seem that bad/difficult compared to a lot of Mario Maker stages I've seen.

They inadvertently stumbled across a pretty cool gimmick with giant Bowser chasing them for most of the level. I'm gonna have to steal that idea for a level.

demidar

In MGSV, slam knockouts last a fraction of the length vs. choke-knockouts.

Someone listed the shortest and longest knockout times. IIRC a full CQC combo trumps all, with Z darts a tier or two below.

Yep, (mechanics spoilers)
slams and throws last about 25 seconds whereas chokes and 5/3 hit CQC last about 6 minutes. Stuffing a person into a toilet/dumpster is permanent and so is holding someone up and telling them to get on the ground.

Jintor

i've gone backwards on fulton. They needed to limit it or severely inhibits its effectiveness or something because it's way too easy to clear out a checkpoint or entire base by just fultoning everybody as long as you're out of the 30m alert range.

Whatever happened to the thing in MGS2 where CP would keep tabs on all soldiers at all times? Was it too annoying for most gamers? (It probably was, I found it pretty annoying tbh, I don't know where I was going with this)

i've gone backwards on fulton. They needed to limit it or severely inhibits its effectiveness or something because it's way too easy to clear out a checkpoint by just fultoning everybody as long as you're out of the 30m alert range.

Whatever happened to the thing in MGS2 where CP would keep tabs on all soldiers at all times? Was it too annoying for most gamers? (It probably was, I found it pretty annoying tbh, I don't know where I was going with this)

Every design decision in MGSV feeds back into the FOB/Mother Base stuff. They probably had more elaborate microtransaction plans at some point before deciding "we're shipping it in a week" or whatever happened behind the scenes.

Man, if Giant Bomb doesn't start to improve their video player I'll have to start thinking about not renewing my premium membership. As a Firefox user, I feel like I'm an update away from being unable to consistently view premium vids. It either doesn't start automatically, becomes a stuttering mess if I pause it for more than a minute, or is unable to remember my position in the video; it's just one thing or another, and none of the player types are a perfect solution. Youtube has been the best place to see Giant Bomb's videos for years now and it's just getting ridiculous.

Daaavvveeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Yes and no. It was fine until I deleted Flash from my computer (due to Adobe's many security failures). HTML 5 is my only option on Firefox and I have the issues you do. I didn't realize that Chrome has a special built-in version of Flash (called PepperFlash or something) that was co-created by Google (apparently it does not have the security issues of regular Flash) and I watch all non-YouTube videos from Giant Bomb there, especially live streams. I'd suggest watching on Chrome, until CBSi improves their player. It's not up to Giant Bomb, it's the upper management from CBSi that you should probably be annoyed with.

i've gone backwards on fulton. They needed to limit it or severely inhibits its effectiveness or something because it's way too easy to clear out a checkpoint by just fultoning everybody as long as you're out of the 30m alert range.

Except you can just knock everyone out and shoot them in the head with your suppressed pistol/assault rifle for the same effect. Fultoning doesn't really make much of a difference.

Every design decision in MGSV feeds back into the FOB/Mother Base stuff. They probably had more elaborate microtransaction plans at some point before deciding "we're shipping it in a week" or whatever happened behind the scenes.

More elaborate miscrotransactions might have been the one thing that Konami would delay the game for.

demidar

i've gone backwards on fulton. They needed to limit it or severely inhibits its effectiveness or something because it's way too easy to clear out a checkpoint or entire base by just fultoning everybody as long as you're out of the 30m alert range.

MGS2 also had a lot more walls heavily restricting line of sight. Keeping track of dudes via scanning is a fair compromise given how open most of the locations are.

Except you can just knock everyone out and shoot them in the head with your suppressed pistol/assault rifle for the same effect. Fultoning doesn't really make much of a difference.

You need to be an A+ rank or higher to even be considered to be Fulton'ed by me.

Need to keep the riff-raff out after all.

Lelcar

so is holding someone up and telling them to get on the ground.

Whoa, I've played over 100 hours and I've never done that to a dude. That's cool. I'll have to remember to try that a bunch whenever I decide to jump back into that game for trophies or whatever.

Jintor

It gives you a OHKO on tanks. Although I guess if you got close enough to fulton you could also get close enough to C4.

Shooting does wreck your suppressor though

Boasters are the greatest enemy you'll ever face in MGSV.
Yes and no. It was fine until I deleted Flash from my computer (due to Adobe's many security failures). HTML 5 is my only option on Firefox and I have the issues you do. I didn't realize that Chrome has a special built-in version of Flash (called PepperFlash or something) that was co-created by Google (apparently it does not have the security issues of regular Flash) and I watch all non-YouTube videos from Giant Bomb there, especially live streams. I'd suggest watching on Chrome, until CBSi improves their player. It's not up to Giant Bomb, it's the upper management from CBSi that you should probably be annoyed with.

I had no idea. That's a really compelling reason to switch to Chrome.

And yeah, I know it's CBSi's issue but it still sucks. I guess the core issue is the huge scramble Giant Bomb's had to do migrating everything away from Whiskey Media's code. Seemed like a bit of a mess.

Jintor

i know mother base was almost certainly the result of comporomised dev time or mismanagement or whatever but they built so much of it just for FOB use, I'm amazed there wasn't
some crazy pitched XOF INVADES BUT THIS TIME WE BUILT OUR FOBS REALLY COOL LIKE battle. I was expecting one the entire time

more to the point MB is a boring boring place for boring people where I only go to smack my own soldiers around because they're all masochists

This Mother Base talk is making me excited for XCOM 2, for some reason.

I can hardly wait for Brad to say, during GotY 2016, "XCOM who?" during their podcasts. It has absolutely no chance at all, being PC exclusive. (When thinking ahead goes too far.)

Lelcar

You need to be an A+ rank or higher to even be considered to be Fulton'ed by me.

Need to keep the riff-raff out after all.

RIP all the soldiers I have to eliminate for missions or side ops who have shitty stats.

Completely agree. In fact, when I first started fultoning I filled my base to the limit with trash people and as a result my departments stopped leveling up at around 30 or so. I had to dismiss like 60% of my base and then started only extracting A's or higher from the ground up. It was very effective for my base.

Oh, and also, removing all troublemakers from the base.

Mature

Metal Gear Scanlon V kinda just seems like Drew and Dan hanging out with a video game in the background— which i'm totally down for.

Daaavvveeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It's really bad for me as well. I recently discovered the Video Buddy app on Android and now I wish they had a desktop version.

Teddified

Metal Gear Scanlon V kinda just seems like Drew and Dan hanging out with a video game in the background— which i'm totally down for.

I wouldn't mind a rotating chair so we can have more random conversations when nothing is going on. Or Dan and the rotating chair can talk while Drew is concentrating on playing.

I found myself skipping ahead a little bit during some parts.

Daaavvveeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Works fine for me when using HTML5 HD on Chrome.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Why would you ever manually dismiss soldiers based on their rank when MB automatically sorts and dismisses for you? Dismiss the troublemakers if you want, but I never even did that and didn't have a problem. And I fultoned pretty much everyone.

Nero18

Brad does it alot with Destiny and Dota, and Dan seems to do it a bit with MGSV. They make the games sound so much more demanding and complicated just because they put down the time to dig deeper.

-Kees-

Does anyone know what episode of (pretty sure it's) UPF where Jeff gets 150,000 achievement points on his Xbox? I tried looking through the game rundowns on QLCrew but nothing stood out

Edit: Found it, UPF on 10/18/13

Xater

Also didn't it sound like Jeff wanted to say something about a hot mess in the recent podcast but held himself back? Tony Hawk 5 seems like a good candidate considering most of the other stuff is still too far out.

Edit: It could also just be NBA Live. We have already seen the stuff that happens in the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom