• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
Then remove the instant part of it when the enemy is alerted or in combat. The idea of how long it takes to go from platform to platform on my base is insanely dull. I don't mind it on the way into Motherbase because it looks cool but when it's 'well I can fly over there but it's not that far and is it going to be worth calling in the helicopter, waiting for the helicopter, getting on the helicopter, waiting for it to lift off, going into the helicopter screen then clicking the new spot, flying to the new spot, waiting for it to lower, and jumping off'

While we're on the subject, when landing, if the helicopter is going to a safe LZ there should be a way to warp directly to the ground. We know it is possible because that is what happens in invasions.

In the name of positivity I'd like to point out that I'm like 30-40 hours into The Witcher 3 and I don't know if I could point out a single named quest that hasn't been worth my time.

Also there's a great bit from Paul F Tompkins on how bullshit the attempts at player choice in Bioshock Infinite are but I can't for the life of me remember which of his many podcasts it was on.

If you took like 5 hours out of the middle of BI you would have one of the greatest games ever. It just becomes this padded mess of an experience about 6 hours in and doesn't stop until after ghost woman ends.

It's like a 3 course meal where the appetizer and desert are once in a lifetime experiences in regards to how amazing they are but they serve you a big plate of cow shit for the actual dinner itself.

The Burial at Sea dlc made me like Bioshock Infinite way less than I did initially, it felt like pointless fan fiction.

imo the strength of the Bioshock games isn't really the gameplay, but the setting. So I still think 1 is the best. The Sander Cohen segment is the best bit out of all the games to me.
Agreed, the Sander Cohen segment and the Medical Pavilion are both incredible areas.

I loved the shit out of Burial at Sea. I don't believe for a moment that Ken Levine planned to connect the games in that way from the get-go but I still ate it up, retcon be damned.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Ugh, why did I read the comments? I was hoping the troglodytes would have crawled back under their rocks by now.

That's humanity. You're going to need a whole lot of napalm to deal with the problem. Once the infestation sets in it's almost impossible to deal with.

Time travel / multi universe stories are hard. Bishock Infinite took itself too serious for the whole "just dont think too hard about all this multi universe stuff ok?" attitude to that side of its story.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Should I feel good or bad about having never played a Bioshock game?

Depending on whether you played System Shock 2, the first Bioshock was a good video game cultural moment. I don't imagine it would hold up playing it today for the first time, but I could be wrong. I've never found any reason to play Bioshock 2, and Bioshock Infinite didn't hold up for its own duration.

Ugh, why did I read the comments? I was hoping the troglodytes would have crawled back under their rocks by now.

Thanks for basically telling me what the comments are so that I don't have to read that garbage myself.

Time travel / multi universe stories are hard. Bishock Infinite took itself too serious for the whole "just dont think too hard about all this multi universe stuff ok?" attitude to that side of its story.

I'd be fine with all Time travel/multiple universe stories just taking the Looper approach of having a character say that it's too confusing to explain.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Should I feel good or bad about having never played a Bioshock game?
I did it relatively recently because the games come up so often. Let's just say it's very hard to recommend them to someone. They are all about the worlds they are set in, which are really well made. The gameplay is completely forgettable and I didn't care much for the story either, but some people love it so...yeah, maybe.

tuxfool

Banned
Depends what kind of games you like. I really liked Bioshock 1 and 2, and enjoyed Infinite. Bioshock 1 is one of those few games that blew me away when I first played it.

I thought Bioshock was simply excellent, but it didn't blow me away. Too much experience with other PC first person RPGs dampened the impact somewhat.

When people say they want the reviewers opinion put aside when they write a review, what are they asking for? The"objective" review concept confuses me. I'm not sure it's worth trying to understand but I'm curious nonetheless.

Myggen

yeah but play only B1, Minerva's Den, and BI and maybe its DLC. since the gameplay is kinda meh in all of them i would suggest playing them on easy, especially BI.

If there's one Brad filibuster I can really get behind it's Minerva's Den. That's probably still my favourite DLC of all time.

When people say they want the reviewers opinion put aside when they write a review, what are they asking for? The"objective" review concept confuses me. I'm not sure it's worth trying to understand but I'm curious nonetheless.

I don't think all those people want "objective" reviews, they want the reviewers to talk about how the gameplay feels, how the game looks etc. But they don't want actual real world criticism that don't align with their own world view. If a reviewer of that game said that it was fucking AWESOME that we got to see some TITS in this game and gave it a better score because of it I don't think anyone of the people whining in the comment section would've complained. It's always hilarious to me that the people who scream about easily offended SJWs are always the most easily offended people on the planet: Just look at the fucking essays written in that comment section because of a few lines of text about a shitty game they'll never play.

Heimbeck

Banned
Depends what kind of games you like. I really liked Bioshock 1 and 2, and enjoyed Infinite. Bioshock 1 is one of those few games that blew me away when I first played it.

Depending on whether you played System Shock 2, the first Bioshock was a good video game cultural moment. I don't imagine it would hold up playing it today for the first time, but I could be wrong. I've never found any reason to play Bioshock 2, and Bioshock Infinite didn't hold up for its own duration.

I did it relatively recently because the games come up so often. Let's just say it's very hard to recommend them to someone. They are all about the worlds they are set in, which are really well made. The gameplay is completely forgettable and I didn't care much for the story either, but some people love it so...yeah, maybe.

Yeah I was debating plugging in my old console and going through them but eh, don't think I could be bothered anyway.
Thanks for the replies though.

Burial at sea was alright, if for nothing more than high res Rapture.

Were the rumors true that leading up to Bioshock Infinite's release, Bioshock was patched to include Songbird's scream as a background noise?

They're making an impossible request in an effort to dash apart the review in one fell swoop, instead of addressing the points the review brings up. It's a common tactic for those who don't have a fair response in an argument.

Even if you don't like the BaS dlc, at least part two played well. It was like thief meets bioshock, or what some would call Dishonored

If i learned anything from Bioshock Infinite is that even devs you think are reliable aren't worth the risk of buying a season pass for. They started with that garbage arena mode DLC and then BaS1 was okay while i really liked BaS2 but i felt cheated at the end. Taught me to wait season passes out.

fuzzyset

It isn't worth understanding. They just want someone to reinforce their pre-held notions on a game.

Toparaman

Banned
I'm probably one of the few people who prefer Infinite to Bioshock 1. Bioshock 1 is amazing for the first few hours, and has a better (but still not great) gameplay loop than Infinite, but never changed things up enough to keep my interest for the entire game. Infinite is a shallow theme-park ride that I will probably never play again, but man, what a ride. That said, I never even bothered to play the DLC.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
"Put aside personal tastes" = "Please have the same tastes as me or you're being SUBJECTIVE"

people are dumb

Heimbeck

Banned
yeah but play only B1, Minerva's Den, and BI and maybe its DLC. since the gameplay is kinda meh in all of them i would suggest playing them on easy, especially BI.

Hmmm, maybe over the holidays I'll try B1 on easy or something.
Depends on how many games coming out later this year grab my interest.

Were the rumors true that leading up to Bioshock Infinite's release, Bioshock was patched to include Songbird's scream as a background noise?

Naw, that's not true. It's a totally cool myth though.

Thinking about all this is reminding how much I fucking loved how they tied Bioshock 1 and Infinite together, both in the main game and in Burial at Sea.

Is it fan service? Yes. Retcon? Yes. Totally awesome for a big Bioshock fan like myself? Absolutely.

Hmmm, maybe over the holidays I'll try B1 on easy or something.
Depends on how many games coming out later this year grab my interest.

the first one can probably be played on normal as there aren't major consequences for dying. It's infinite's bullet sponge enemies and constant arena battles that really makes you wish those fights would end ASAP

They aren't looking for objective reviews. They just don't want to worry about any criticism that involves representation in games. It freaks them out because they fear this type of criticism may result in 70% of all games being cater specifically to their demographic instead of 95%. Subjective criticism all day long, as long as it doesn't involve considering a point of view that isn't perfectly aligned with their own.

Zornack

The video game press is very liberal while internet youth aren't. I don't think it's so absurd that there's some level of pushback. You'd see the same thing if the majority of video game reviewers held video games to right wing Christian ideals.

Curufinwe

I'm probably one of the few people who prefer Infinite to Bioshock 1. Bioshock 1 is amazing for the first few hours, and has a better (but still not great) gameplay loop than Infinite, but never changed things up enough to keep my interest for the entire game. Infinite is a shallow theme-park ride that I will probably never play again, but man, what a ride. That said, I never even bothered to play the DLC.

Being able to use plasmids and shoot at the same time makes the gameplay in Infinite much more satisfying and less cumbersome.

Myggen

The video game press is very liberal while internet youth aren't. I don't think it's so absurd that there's some level of pushback. You'd see the same thing if the majority of video game reviewers held video games to right wing Christian ideals.

I wouldn't really say that "internet youth" aren't liberal, it's just that a very vocal part of the internet very much isn't. Gamergate and the likes. I'm fine with people criticising criticism, what I have an issue with is the arbitrary "keep politics out of my video game reviews" when it's something you disagree with. If a reviewer started to criticise a game based on Christian ideals (there are some sites that do that) I would state why I disagree with the review, but I wouldn't go around screaming about the review being too subjective or yell about Christian Justice Warriors. It's that reaction more than anything else I roll my eyes at.

Heimbeck

Banned
I tried to play the first one and was bored as fuck.

Was thinking of just jumping to Infinite a few times but i haven't gotten the chance (also thanks Warframe lol)

I suppose the first isn't as good as it was in 07.
Speaking of Warframe though, I wonder if Jeff is still playing that?

the first one can probably be played on normal as there aren't major consequences for dying. It's infinite's bullet sponge enemies and constant arena battles that really makes you wish those fights would end ASAP

I see, I'll keep it in mind if I do get around to playing them.
What you said about Infinite sounds boring as fuck though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I just want another good THPS game :(

If you're like me, it's been so long since you've played a good THPS game that you can pick up one of the first three and it'll be like new, except it actually still plays well and is constant fun instead of stupid add-on bullshit to justify a full retail price.

THPS1&2 on Dreamcast-Currently in my top 10 best games I've played this year

I suppose the first isn't as good as it was in 07.
Speaking of Warframe though, I wonder if Jeff is still playing that?

I'm pretty sure he dropped it shortly after he played it early this year, at least I'm sure that's what he said on a UPF or something recently.

Live THPS5 QL tomorrow. Oh boy. Jeff's hopes and dreams are finally gonna get crushed.

I really hope that they go in blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom