• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff sort of kind of liked THPS HD.

He's not going to be destroyed by this as you think he's going to be because he still likes the idea enough to look past the many, many fumbles.

I'm in the mood for some crappy pizza. Out of Domino's, Pizza Hut and Papa John's, which has the worst pizza?

well i mean domino's is probably the best bad pizza of the bunch but papa john's is the actual shittiest.

anybody who defends papa john's pizza is a garbage human being that probably knows what their own poop tastes like

Little Ceasars. If not an option, you can't go right with Papa John's.

i like the way you think

If you live somewhere where you can get the $5 large pepperoni pizza from little Caesars then its practically impossible to top in the subpar pizza bang for your buck category. Honorable mention for costco's pizza

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
My favorite experience ever involving Papa John's was when my college roommate (who would later drop out due to World of Warcraft) broke his pinky and used a pencil as a splint, then came home at 3AM and tried to order pizza. He placed his order with the recording of Papa John and then promptly went outside (Without his key) to wait (in his bathrobe) for the delivery (that would never come). He also took our cordless dorm room phone with him in his pocket and tried calling it repeatedly from the pay phone before realizing what he'd done. I woke up to a series of 10 or so hilarious messages of him wondering when I was going to come open the door and let back in the building before one admitting defeat and letting me know he'd be sleeping in the commons.

I'm pretty sure his night would have been worse if he'd actually gotten any Papa John's

domino's pro-tip: the white sauce is surprisingly decent. it doesn't work with all toppings, but if you find a good combination (chicken + bacon is my recommendation) it's boss as hell

erawsd

The best thing about MGSV are the depths people are going to try and fantasy fanfic the story into something more meaningful then it was presented in the game.

I cant even tell who are fans trying to justify the game to themselves and who are just trolling anymore.

Heh, reading this made me think of this ridiculous response to The Jimquisition about Quiet...

I don't know, I'm usually really offended by female characters objectified (in Japanese games especially), but Quiet's extreme sexualization seems to be closer to satire, I can't even take it seriously. I'm absolutely sure Kojima followed Gamergate and the whole debate around it and decided to create an extremely objectified character that has no relevance to the plot whatsoever on purpose to spur more debate and generate more buzz around the game after it is released. It is after all the guy who wrote a few examples of really great female video game characters and proposed in MGS2 concept document that "the 21st century will be the age of women".

I genuinely dont know if hes serious or not.

I suppose the first isn't as good as it was in 07.
Speaking of Warframe though, I wonder if Jeff is still playing that?

Maybe

I don't think the fact i spoiled myself on the story "twist" years before helped either :p

Also not sure about jeff playing more Warframe since they did that whole player movement rework patch some time ago and i haven't heard him say anything about it.

Though to be fair maybe he did and it wasn't worthy of an answer *shrug*

Myggen

lol (with bonus reply by Dave)

So here's a little thing I've been, uh, cooking up at work.

http://imgur.com/bEMupxY.jpg

So the syntax works like this:
gb find [optional keyword] [category]

Categories are ql for quicklook, upf for fridays, premium, trailer and so on.

http://imgur.com/9NeOmsK.jpg

This is what the output looks like. It's just raw links to the video files, but I colorcoded them according to category, so you can see the mailbag is pink, Metal Gear Scanlon stuff is light blue and quicklooks are orange.

http://imgur.com/tH8VRhE.jpg

Here are some narrowed down seaches. Quicklooks, then Unprofessional Fridays and then Metal Gear Scanlon. We see there's a new Metal Gear Scanlon episode out, so that's cool. Let's get it!

Since that link is the only link that contains ep03, we can get it by typing:
gb get ep03

http://imgur.com/FAVyVZs.jpg

This can also be narrowed down to categories and can download multiples, for example all quicklooks.

syntax is: gb get [keywords] [category]

This is really gonna come in handy when I get fired.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Ah, ok. Here in Austin any non-chain pizza is some $30 gourmet hand-crafted hobby-grade nonsense.

There are few, but growing, decent pizza shops in Austin. Brick Oven is good, Poor House Pints & Pies is surprisingly good for tavern pizza. But the secret best cheap pizza is in the freezer section.

bEgc15B.jpg

Seven bucks at HEB, better than any chain pizza.

killroy87

There are few, but growing, decent pizza shops in Austin. Brick Oven is good, Poor House Pints & Pies is surprisingly good for tavern pizza. But the secret best cheap pizza is in the freezer section.

That meatball one looks straight up disgusting. Especially considering it was at one point frozen.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
That meatball one looks straight up disgusting. Especially considering it was at one point frozen.

Yeah those look kind of ridiculous. I haven't tried that one but it looks like they missed a metric-American unit conversion with the recipe or something. Everything I've had of theirs was great though, even if there are enough toppings to put together a separate meal.

I'm glad Dan/Astriker/Drew wrote those video notes, cuz had I wrote them, they would have been more along the lines of "GO BEAT THE DAMN GAME OR DONT WHINE THAT SPOILERS ARE IN THIS FFS DO YOU EXPECT DIFFERENT FROM AN MGS V LP?!?!"

They're no Home Run Inn or Unos, but they're pretty damn good.

No chain does a good New York style pizza and I can't imagine a frozen pizza could get it right either. Around here, a good large New York style pepperoni or cheese pizza would only cost you $10-13.

Lelcar

I like that Jeff was into MGSV only because he knew spoilers about what the game was about. I've gotten into games because of spoilers that I otherwise wouldn't have played as well. I think The New Order might've been that for me. I didn't have any interest in playing it until I was told about plot stuff and then that's when I was interested. There was another recent game too that sold me with spoilers, but I forget what it was now.

Anyway, spoilers are fun sometimes for that reason.

My family loves the Freschetta brand Brick Oven Crust Pizzas. We typically get the 5 Italian Cheese Pizza (http://www.freschetta.com/products/brick-oven/brick-oven-5-cheese.htm) and the Chicken Club Pizza (http://www.freschetta.com/products/brick-oven/brick-oven-chicken-club.htm). They have sea salt as part of their ingredients that I think add to the flavor. While you would not pass these pizzas off as gourmet, we find them better (and tastier) than Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Papa Johns, and the like.

Toparaman

Banned
I like that Jeff was into MGSV only because he knew spoilers about what the game was about. I've gotten into games because of spoilers that I otherwise wouldn't have played as well. I think The New Order might've been that for me. I didn't have any interest in playing it until I was told about plot stuff and then that's when I was interested. There was another recent game too that sold me with spoilers, but I forget what it was now.

Anyway, spoilers are fun sometimes for that reason.

I think I read about a study that showed that people actually enjoy things more after it's been spoiled for them. Maybe it's because it puts your expectations in check.

That being said, I've been super sensitive to MGSV spoilers.

kvk1

you know what the best feeling is

binging on GB content too hard and getting disinterested

then coming back after a week or two when you get a hankering for some V-juice in your veins

and there is like 12 hours of new content on the webpage

it's legit

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Assault Android Cactus QL tomorrow plus the Tony Hawk 5 live video. Nice day, start it out with a great throwback and finish it off with a tire fire.

Christ I've never seen that many grackles where I've been.

That's terrifying.

You should see when they all decide to shuffle around and fly down towards the intersection before perching again. Never not terrifying.

Not the first few, but now I've found some new ways to ruin the diet. 40 North looks amazing.

NYHorn36

Ah, ok. Here in Austin any non-chain pizza is some $30 gourmet hand-crafted hobby-grade nonsense.

I still miss Mr. Gatti's and I live in Manhattan. I grew up with that so it's the nostalgia talking, but I love it and make sure to get it whenever I'm back. In undergrad I used to get Milto's on Guadalupe. And Home Slice started after I moved away, but I like that place a lot.

Lelcar

I think I read about a study that showed that people actually enjoy things more after it's been spoiled for them. Maybe it's because it puts your expectations in check.

Yeah, there's some study where the brain actually likes it more when it knows what's coming and that's why singing along to songs you already know is so euphoric. Or sometimes why watching a movie the second time is even better than the first.There's a release of endorphin or something when you're successfully anticipating something.

I still miss Mr. Gatti's and I live in Manhattan. I grew up with that so it's the nostalgia talking, but I love it and make sure to get it whenever I'm back. In undergrad I used to get Milto's on Guadalupe. And Home Slice started after I moved away, but I like that place a lot.

I still haven't had Gatti's! I've been here a year and I love pizza, so I should probably be ashamed. I've heard mixed things about Home Slice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom