• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

I loved Bioshock Infinite. First Bioshock game I could actually stand to finish.

XCOM as an experience is cheapened for me knowing its now canon that humans lost. That's bullshit. Everything I did was for nothing?

KingKong

Bioshock was just a dumbed down System Shock 2 and then they dumbed it down even more in Infinite. But hey, the ending had a plot twist so it must have been good

XCOM was the first GOTY where you could visibly see Giantbomb all loving it. If you watch the recap vid for that year's GOTY, literally everyone on the couch is smiling and laughing and giving Ryan shit for his decisions.

I think Metal Gear may have that same impact this year.

XCOM as an experience is cheapened for me knowing its now canon that humans lost. That's bullshit. Everything I did was for nothing?

Especially after all the research I did and people I stuffed into mech suits, you're telling me we fucked up somewhere?

I feel that way too, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Actually I think it's soured me on XCOM2 more than the original.

DamnBoxes

I fucking love Dropsy and I can't explain why.

Dropsy heard the news and fucking loves you too.

devolver-digital-distribuira-dropsy-la-oscura-aventura-grafica-sobre-un-payaso-incomunicado-listado.jpg

I got to the the point where I was annoyed what I always playing was locked up inside a FPS. I like a whole lot about the game, but none of it was to do with the style of gameplay.

If that story could be somehow be funneled to me though a Adventure game mould I would be much happier.

You summed this up perfectly. I just wanted to do so much MORE in Columbia.

Baffled that some particular people prefer Ground Zeros to the entirety of TPP. Those people can fuck of my rollerskating robot.

There's definitely a tighter "feel" to GZ I can respect. I also miss the rain ponchos and worry for my men on Mother Base. What if they get hypothermia?! My R&D team level might go down, damnit!

convo

I believe Jeff isn't capable of the inner emotional turmoil people are experiencing from MGSV, because he is a motherfucking professional who judges videogames and doesn't give a fuck about peoples fanfics that aren't fulfilled anymore.

I believe Jeff isn't capable of the inner emotional turmoil people are experiencing from MGSV, because he is a motherfucking professional who judges videogames and doesn't give a fuck about peoples fanfics that aren't fulfilled anymore.

the story isn't very good in MGSV so if youre one of those people then MGSV was a total bummer.

As someone who just likes good games and learned to shrug off Kojima's lunacy long, long ago i found it to be fucking amazing until i tried to finish it and then the weird structure of chapter 2 left me scratching my head. But it's still my goty, no question.

still need to play TW3 though

convo

There's definitely a tighter "feel" to GZ I can respect. I also miss the rain ponchos and worry for my men on Mother Base. What if they get hypothermia?! My R&D team level might go down, damnit!

Sure you could do less in Ground Zeros to not distract yourself with stuff. Having cardboard boxes is just another worthless distraction am i right guys? I prefer to call it choose your own method when it comes to missions in TPP. Mother Base is a feature i enjoyed in Peace Walker so nobody is gonna convince me the superior version in here is worthless.

tuxfool

Banned
It was an ok base? Nothing really special about it that made it stand out.

It was large. With multiple regions and patrols. The constrained nature of the affair from tools to layout meant that one couldn't trivialize infiltration.

On MGSV, most bases are a collection of shacks that you can just waltz in at your leisure. That is part of the gift and curse in the map layout of the game. Patrols really are not a problem and the most interesting missions are the ones where you're funnelled into tight spaces where you can't simply walk around the opposition.

Your equipment can completely demolish bases too, you can go into missions with heavy weaponry as you like, resources really aren't a barrier in that aspect.

convo

What i am thinking is that GZ seems more fulfilling while TPP is more fun all around . I still don't see Camp Omega being all that people are making it out to be, maybe you played around it for 40 hours to get everything there is to understand. Who knows what it would take to understand the entire structure of TPPs enemy bases because right now no one could have the time to put up a satisfactory analysis of all that crap that exists.

It was large. With multiple regions and patrols. The constrained nature of the affair from tools to layout meant that one couldn't trivialize infiltration.

On MGSV, most bases are a collection of shacks that you can just waltz in at your leisure. That is part of the gift and curse in the map layout of the game. Your equipment can completely demolish bases too, you can go into missions with heavy weaponry as you like, resources really aren't a barrier in that aspect.

It sounds like the fact that you cant have a loadout in GZ made it seem better because you were limited in infiltrating it. Alot of places in V are varied, like the base Drew goes to in the latest episode. Even the way he got in was amazing, I havent even rock climbed in my playthrough. There are also areas further in the game that offer varied geography. The base in GZ is basic- tent area, warehouse area, pow camp, main office. Theres very little indoor areas, and limited ways to enter an area to an objective. Im not saying its worse than the V areas, but it certainly isnt better.

And being able to select a loadout to infiltrate or demolish a base isnt a bad thing either. Yeah there is something about finding weapons in GZ, but you can do that too by limiting your loadout in V

justjim89

Ground Zeroes actually has more mission variety than MGSV. Listening to a tape for a clue to a location? Not in MGSV. Overhearing a conversation between two guards for a vital piece of intel? Not in MGSV. There's so much to do in MGSV but there's so little you actually do.

At least Infinite was a fun shooter. Bioshock wasn't even that. It was watered down System Shock 2 with hardly any RPG mechanics and a mildly interesting setting. It just didn't do anything for me.

convo

Ground Zeroes actually has more mission variety than MGSV. Listening to a tape for a clue to a location? Not in MGSV. Overhearing a conversation between two guards for a vital piece of intel? Not in MGSV. There's so much to do in MGSV but there's so little you actually do.

I guess you'd have to be Jeff to actually do stuff in this game. I fail to see the balance you are trying to convey here.

Eh, theres actually moments you can overhear guards talking about important or side things(ie guards talking about Quiet and where they spotted her before you find her) so that actually is in mgsv. And the tape thing was a nice tidbit, but I dont think itd be fun having to so that multiple times in a mich bigger map.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just want a mod that makes helicopter arrive instantly at the spot and leave instantly. That's all I want. That shit takes SO fucking long and you have to do it so fucking often.

LiK

At least Infinite was a fun shooter. Bioshock wasn't even that. It was watered down System Shock 2 with hardly any RPG mechanics and a mildly interesting setting. It just didn't do anything for me.

huh, don't we do that for a few missions where you tail someone?

Chuck

Still without luck
I just want a mod that makes helicopter arrive instantly at the spot and leave instantly. That's all I want. That shit takes SO fucking long and you have to do it so fucking often.

I think it's part of the strategy of a mission, timing the helicopter just so that you can make the escape you want to.

convo

I think it's part of the strategy of a mission, timing the helicopter just so that you can make the escape you want to.

Exactly , might as well cheat all the way if you find it that inconvenient.

All in all i don't think anyone is an expert on MGSV by at least several years, people are still gonna make[uncited] absolute statements about things though i suppose.

and when your chopper gets some armor and weapon upgrades it's actually a decent strategy to call it into a LZ that is a fucking hot mess both to pick you up and to rain hell on the enemy. more than once Pequod saved my ass using this strategy

just dont do it if your chopper isn't at least a bit leveled up because losing one of them early on costs you a small fortune.

There is something about running towards a chopper that slowly descending.

The rush of getting away from the enemy
I remember a memorable moment, doing the first mission in Africa I was booking it while being hunted down by a swuad. Peqoud tells me go get down and he shoots rockets and guns down the squad as hes coming to the LZ. Then he goes and takes out a nearby outpost because why not.

Not in MGSV. Overhearing a conversation between two guards for a vital piece of intel?

Actually I remember doing that a few times in MGSV. Maybe not mission objective vital in all cases, but interesting intelligence at the very least.

Bioshock wasn't even that. It was watered down System Shock 2 with hardly any RPG mechanics and a mildly interesting setting. It just didn't do anything for me.

I think you're totally off base and Rapture was a pretty rad setting. Getting headshots felt great in that game, as did using most of the weapons/Plasmids. You say watered down like it's a bad thing, but everything about Bioshock worked well.

On the whole I side with Phantom Pain but I'll admit Ground Zeroes' Hitman flavor of open world is uniquely appealing and missed.

and when your chopper gets some armor and weapon upgrades it's actually a decent strategy to call it into a LZ that is a fucking hot mess both to pick you up and to rain hell on the enemy. more than once Pequod saved my ass using this strategy

just dont do it if your chopper isn't at least a big leveled up because losing one of them early one costs you a small fortune.

Pequod is a dummy who flew through an armored unit side-objective and got blown up. Morpho wins. Neither matches up to Mike in Resident Evil 4.

convo

the story isn't very good in MGSV so if youre one of those people then MGSV was a total bummer.

As someone who just likes good games and learned to shrug off Kojima's lunacy long, long ago i found it to be fucking amazing until i tried to finish it and then the weird structure of chapter 2 left me scratching my head. But it's still my goty, no question.

And since not fans but one Jeff Gerstmann and Dan Ryckert is gonna be on the GOTY podcast there is hardly gonna be much debate. Of course there's gonna be bitching by somebody on the internet anyway because they can't fathom them having opinions of their own.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Then remove the instant part of it when the enemy is alerted or in combat. The idea of how long it takes to go from platform to platform on my base is insanely dull. I don't mind it on the way into Motherbase because it looks cool but when it's 'well I can fly over there but it's not that far and is it going to be worth calling in the helicopter, waiting for the helicopter, getting on the helicopter, waiting for it to lift off, going into the helicopter screen then clicking the new spot, flying to the new spot, waiting for it to lower, and jumping off'

I have MGS on SSD and that shit is still tedious. I don't mind sparse fast travel I didn't have an issue for it in Witcher but stop making the 'fast travel' so long to set up if I don't want it. There's only so many times Weird Science coming over the canyon works before I hate it.

I also hate that there's really almost no reason to bring a shotgun or any pistol other than the tranq to missions. The geist feels awesome but why would you ever use it?

calling infinite a fun shooter while also calling the first game watered down

you people are fucking insane

not as insane as the people who think 2 is the best, but still

KingKong

theres a part in Infinite where you're supposed to look for clues to open a door and for some insane reason instead of letting the player loose to explore you follow the arrow and fight the same shitty boss three times

SmithnCo

imo the strength of the Bioshock games isn't really the gameplay, but the setting. So I still think 1 is the best. The Sander Cohen segment is the best bit out of all the games to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom