• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbs

Banned
there's another mission which required brute force and I finished it in less than 1 minute, literally. i was surprised how quick it was. dat gatling gun.

i didn't actually expect a S rank but there it was.

speed definitely seems to be the big factor for S Rank.

I really like the idea of Dan manning the iPad app to give Drew directions on objectives and stuff. Awesome idea.

I DO kind of wish they'd limit the show to just main story missions and story-focused side-ops. I just think it's too dense to get through in less than 6 months. The other seasons have been what, 13 to 15 episodes each, right? I feel like if they insist on showing EVERY bit of Drew's progression in the game, this will easily stretch to like, Feb/March of 2016.

I really like the idea of Dan manning the iPad app to give Drew directions on objectives and stuff. Awesome idea.

I DO kind of wish they'd limit the show to just main story missions and story-focused side-ops. I just think it's too dense to get through in less than 6 months. The other seasons have been what, 13 to 15 episodes each, right? I feel like if they insist on showing EVERY bit of Drew's progression in the game, this will easily stretch to like, Feb/March of 2016.

Yeah I think it's better that Drew would play the side ops and listen to the tapes at home then comes and records a small debriefing with Dan about what he did as well as his thoughts about story stuff before starting playing.

Man the checkpoints in MGSV are soooo unforgiving sometimes.

it checkpoints usually upon entering an outpost. The thing that sucks is when you've spent 40-45 minutes in an outpost and shit goes wrong. Or worse, when you overestimate snake's ability to take fall damage and he insta-dies from falling 10 feet

Zaph

Yeah I think it's better that Drew would play the side ops and listen to the tapes at home then comes and records a small debriefing with Dan about what he did as well as his thoughts about story stuff before starting playing.
Didn't they say during the first episode they might mix it up if they feel the need?

I hope Drew starts doing some side ops/base management stuff off-camera. So much of MGSV's strength is the gameplay loop, I think if Drew doesn't get to enjoy some of that on his own terms, he might not experience the game at it's best.

it checkpoints usually upon entering an outpost. The thing that sucks is when you've spent 40-45 minutes in an outpost and shit goes wrong. Or worse, when you overestimate snake's ability to take fall damage and he insta-dies from falling 10 feet

Yep, that happened to me after I literally got EVERYTHING from a base and fultoned it all after beating a long side op. I then dropped down after picking up the last gem and died, losing nearly an hour of work. It suuuuucked. And wow I had no idea about that return to ACC thing... or maybe I saw it and never thought about it. Wow that would have saved a ton of time. There's just SO much to this game. One day I'll get to chapter 2. One day.

Didn't they say during the first episode they might mix it up if they feel the need?

I hope Drew starts doing some side ops/base management stuff off-camera. So much of MGSV's strength is the gameplay loop, I think if Drew doesn't get to enjoy some of that on his own terms, he might not experience the game at it's best.

Yeah, I think they did mention that and I think it'd be great if that's the case.

I think it'd be really cool if you came back after a weekend or a few episodes and like, Drew starts showing off all the new shit he's developed and earned. The last thing I want is him to end up in a demolition-focused mission that requires a rocket launcher or other weapon he hasn't developed yet. No one wants to see him grind a bunch of R+D levels/GMP then wait around for an hour for it to become available.

The best thing about MGSV are the depths people are going to try and fantasy fanfic the story into something more meaningful then it was presented in the game.

I cant even tell who are fans trying to justify the game to themselves and who are just trolling anymore.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The best thing about MGSV are the depths people are going to try and fantasy fanfic the story into something more meaningful then it was presented in the game.

I cant even tell who are fans trying to justify the game to themselves and who are just trolling anymore.

Even better was the essay about how Kojima put a bunch of shitty open world modern game design elements into the game to point out how shitty they are. Suuuure. That's why there's grindy bullshit and an empty open world.

I wonder if all the negativity surrounding MGSV will work its way up to GB, or if years of doing reviews has made them indifferent to what outside commentary thinks. Despite everyone having similar games, they seemed very positive about it on the spoilercast.

Kind of wish I felt that way. I loved my time with MGSV but I'm experiencing a lot of that "did I really have a good time?" thing. Like how I loved Sonic Heroes and to a lesser extent, Shadow the Hedgehog despite everyone telling me how trash those games are. I know they're not great, but I had fun.

I'm not at the end yet (just beat mission 40) and knowing the "twist" going in has made it a lot more fun to appreciate as Kojima ruminates on language's influence on the globe.

Mechanics wise I've been absolutely thrilled. It's certainly missing some things but considering what's there and how often the toys you unlock through R&D dramatically change the game and how the enemies swap gear to react to them dynamically is a hell of a lot of fun.

KingKong

Even better was the essay about how Kojima put a bunch of shitty open world modern game design elements into the game to point out how shitty they are. Suuuure. That's why there's grindy bullshit and an empty open world.

the empty open world makes perfect sense considering everything you do is a mission that can be started from your base and ends with an extraction. you can run from one mission to another if you want but you won't find anything for a reason

I'm really liking the empty, isolated open world. Reminds me a lot of Red Dead in that regard. But I'm about 11% complete according to the counter and I'm sort of starting to find the mission structures repetitive, especially when you a revisiting a lot of the same areas multiple times. Hoping things open up a bit more as the game progresses.

I wonder if all the negativity surrounding MGSV will work its way up to GB, or if years of doing reviews has made them indifferent to what outside commentary thinks. Despite everyone having similar games, they seemed very positive about it on the spoilercast.

Kind of wish I felt that way. I loved my time with MGSV but I'm experiencing a lot of that "did I really have a good time?" thing. Like how I loved Sonic Heroes and to a lesser extent, Shadow the Hedgehog despite everyone telling me how trash those games are. I know they're not great, but I had fun.

I don't think youre seriously comparing MGSV to two bad sonic games. Cmon now, this game is terrific and that's in spite of its faults. It's gonna win GOTYs, something a sonic game aint ever done or is gonna do. MGSV's gameplay is so damn fun that even though the game rehashes environments and scenarios, it still plays better than so many games out there.

They tend to just go with how they feel as opposed to the consensus. Which is why we want their GOTY and want to hear how they got to there. So even though Skyrim was a broken piece of flaming steaming shit on one platform, a buggy mess for a minute on another platform, and kinda alright on PC it still took GOTY for the year.

The real shame is that you can see a GOTG in MGSV, maybe another year in the oven would've gotten it there. That's the real problem with the game, it's development was very clearly compromised at some point in such an obvious way that you almost never seen in a shipped game these days.

They all seemed to either share or at least acknowledge most of the criticisms people have about MGSV and yet they were all still really positive on it. I doubt they really care too much about the negativity that seems to have been building around the game.

Oh god no. I'm comparing the feeling I have after playing the games. Of, "I really enjoyed this game," But that gets eaten away by reading all the negativity.

It wouldn't be a metal gear game if people didn't start shitting on it immediately. Not to say that the criticisms aren't valid but every game has had an almost immediate backlash, justified or not.

MGS4 gets crapped on from high heaven all of the time for several reasons, many of them valid. It still took GAF's game of 2008 twice

And double wrong with MGS4. Both good examples of "THIS GAME TALKS AT ME SO FUCKING MUCH" being mistaken for a good story too often in games.
MGS4 is an alright anime that is inconvenienced by occasional spurts of gameplay

but we all agree that Xcom earned that GOTY, right? Feels like the last GOTY that was kinda unanimous

Everyone hated Bioshock Infinite, right?

2nd on GAF's GotY list, 3rd on Giant Bomb's.

I got to the the point where I was annoyed what I always playing was locked up inside a FPS. I like a whole lot about the game, but none of it was to do with the style of gameplay.

If that story could be somehow be funneled to me though a Adventure game mould I would be much happier.

Found it absolutely boring and a chore to finish.

I bought it for $1 yesterday. I still kinda felt ripped off.

6sTej9G.gif

fuzzyset

I'm really liking the empty, isolated open world. Reminds me a lot of Red Dead in that regard. But I'm about 11% complete according to the counter and I'm sort of starting to find the mission structures repetitive, especially when you a revisiting a lot of the same areas multiple times. Hoping things open up a bit more as the game progresses.

I love the world as presented. I hate when open-worlds "MMO-ify" their world. There's no reason why there needs to be an enemy every X meters. I'm 43% and over 40hours into the game, and still enjoying it immensely. I try different loadouts, different approaches, etc. The missions are as repetitive as you make them IMO. It's a fantastic game, and I can't believe other people can say otherwise. Don't hurt me none though; I'm still having a blast. Can't wait for MGO.

Xater

I didn't hate Bioshock Infinite, but I was very, very disappointed in it. Both from a gameplay and story perspective. To me a solid 7/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom