• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

So Nelly ruined that 12 hour Kinect stream (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xww0u0S2L_o), Blackeyed Peas ruined the Thanksgiving Kinect stream (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b39iIktTpiM), ACDC Jeff's Trackmania stream (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B2qYKC_5U8), and some unknown ruined Rorie's charity stream (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zwG_2nsdtA).

Due to youtube's great policies, I can't even download it to edit their lovely songs out. If anyone has any way to trick youtube into playing the audio, let me know.
:(

Youtube fucking sucks now.

Haunted

Does the word "showtime" not exist in Japanese? I'm on a Big O binge and I noticed that between this and some more recent animes, every character always says it in English.
Does the word Zeitgeist not exist in English? I've read a few articles and I've noticed that it's always said in German.

Snarkiness aside, languages constantly borrow words, sometimes there's not a succinct way to express a concept in one language, sometimes it's used for aesthetic reasons, sometimes it's been introduced into the language and adopted a long time ago.

Does the word Zeitgeist not exist in English? I've read a few articles and I've noticed that it's always said in German.

Snarkiness aside, languages constantly borrow words, sometimes there's not a succinct way to express a concept in one language, sometimes it's used for aesthetic reasons, sometimes it's been introduced into the language and adopted a long time ago.

What is zeitgeist?

Xater

Also despite being shit at English, Japan just loves using it to sound cool.

They borrow an enormous amount of words, for newer words they just put it into one of their phonetic alphabets and use it from there. Probably sounds like they're saying shoootaaaimu! I guess?

Exactly. Or something like, "sho-tai-mudah" for some reason.

Eh, I suppose, but I feel like that usually happens for which there are no direct counterparts or decent enough translations to get the same point across. Does that make sense? I feel like show time, the start of a show, shouldn't be that hard to reword.

I honestly haven't heard zeitgeist in a very long time. Usually it's just shortened down to call it the spirit or the times (as in "get with the times").

Lelcar

No Alex for two weeks? Damn, Vinny x Alex Quick Looks are my favourite. Who's going to do Gilbert Gottfried impressions on the Beastcast?

They should run every previous episode of Beastcast through an algorithm that will separate them into audio clips of individual sentences and have them assembled together at random until they fill out two unique episodes.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Last minute itinerary check. What should I do/get in Japan?
I'll be in Tokyo, Takayama, Nagoya, Hiroshima, Osaka, and Kyoto.
Find Alex and give him a hug.
No Alex for two weeks? Damn, Vinny x Alex Quick Looks are my favourite. Who's going to do Gilbert Gottfried impressions on the Beastcast?
Jeff wasn't on the last episode because he was busy working on his Peter Stormare and Gilbert Gottfried impersonation.

FStop7

Banned
I'm trying to figure out the "W" abbreviation related to a part of Los Angeles that Vinny encountered. He mentioned it in the SOMA quick look.

WeHo (West Hollywood), maybe?

go here, eat japanese taco bell, takoyaki, okonomiyaki, see whale sharks at the osaka aquarium, go to a soapland, eat chicken wings in nagoya, look at white japanese sega saturns and consider buying one but don't actually do it, go to the kewpie mayonnaise museum, take a tour of the Metropolitan Area Outer Underground Discharge Channel, eat more okonomiyaki

go here, eat japanese taco bell, takoyaki, okonomiyaki, see whale sharks at the osaka aquarium, go to a soapland, eat chicken wings in nagoya, look at white japanese sega saturns and consider buying one but don't actually do it, go to the kewpie mayonnaise museum, take a tour of the Metropolitan Area Outer Underground Discharge Channel, eat more okonomiyaki

Just putting this out here, but if you happen to go to the aquarium and see the whale sharks, I will be infinitely envious of your chance to do so.

Skylanders seems like the most bland, boring shit. No idea why Jason is freaking out over it(edit, ah, he was kidding). All of those characters are completely lifeless.

Lego Dimensions is fun from the 45 minutes I played although obviously that's not enough to form an opinion. Scooby doo though.

LiK

lol, the SOMA QL is totally not what i expected. Vinny seems to be just breaking the entire atmosphere on purpose. i'll need to watch a proper LP to see how it really is.

it's literally been a life goal of mine since i was a kid, so thanks for making me feel like less of a weirdo, even if for a little bit

stump I'm an aspiring marine biologist, I've got my undergrad in biology with scuba certification, I'm working at my graduate degree opportunities, and it's literally one of the things in my life I have to do.

So you're not a weirdo. Whale sharks are rad and mind blowing.

justjim89

If there's a man alive who makes a better "Oh I've gone and fucked up" face than Seth Rollins, I've yet to see him.

Wrestling is great, you guys.

What percentage of Wrestling matches these days go from beginning to end without some kind of interference, disqualification or referee distraction? I haven't seen a whole lot but don't think I've ever seen a single one not have some sort of shenanigans.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Can't you argue fair use? And isn't the issue with monetizing those videos? So wouldn't not monitizing those particular videos allow them to be reupped without much trouble?
We don't monetize anything ourselves obviously. Usually when it gets hit with a claim the claimant just monetizes the video and an ad gets put on it. For these few videos for some reason they completely muted the entire video. I put in a fair use claim so hopefully that will at least let me download the track and edit out the offending material.

FStop7

Banned
Good pizza should be more than the ten dollars you're used to. You're using tons of high quality meats and cheeses.

I might catch flak for this, but I don't think pizza really calls for high quality meats and cheeses. It's such a mash up of ingredients it's hard to really get much of a sense of quality of anything individual. I'm not saying use crap, though. But I think as a dish it offers a lot of flexibility.

Renpatsu

Thanks Stump. I'll be sure to let you know how I find my soapland experience.
Just putting this out here, but if you happen to go to the aquarium and see the whale sharks, I will be infinitely envious of your chance to do so.
I hadn't even considered the aquarium, but I'll definitely make an effort to go now.

We don't monetize anything ourselves obviously. Usually when it gets hit with a claim the claimant just monetizes the video and an ad gets put on it. For these few videos for some reason they completely muted the entire video. I put in a fair use claim so hopefully that will at least let me download the track and edit out the offending material.
Well with the recent ruling that companies must now consider fair use before filing complaints you might have a leg to stand on. After all, none of those videos are trying to upload an artist's music outside of the context of the games they're in. You should be good.

justjim89

What percentage of Wrestling matches these days go from beginning to end without some kind of interference, disqualification or referee distraction? I haven't seen a whole lot but don't think I've ever seen a single one not have some sort of shenanigans.

Most will go without interference. Disqualifications are typically no more than once per show. Referee shenanigans are kind of a staple.

If you want a percentage of matches on your average WWE show just go beginning to end without any of the three? Probably around 40-50%.

I hadn't even considered the aquarium, but I'll definitely make an effort to go now.

tumblr_ljsbstL1hg1qclt3z.gif

Most will go without interference. Disqualifications are typically no more than once per show. Referee shenanigans are kind of a staple.

If you want a percentage of matches on your average WWE show just go beginning to end without any of the three? Probably around 40-50%.

I've never really watched the shows so most of the matches I've seen were linked youtube videos post around gaf. Those are probably the more eventful matches so my point of view is probably skewed.

hamchan

I've never really watched the shows so most of the matches I've seen were linked youtube videos post around gaf. Those are probably the more eventful matches so my point of view is probably skewed.

If you want to get into wrestling you can watch all tonights RAW highlight videos on the WWE YouTube channel later. Honestly, it's the best way to consume wrestling.

I'm curious about it, mostly because it's referenced so much on Giant Bomb and on Gaf but I'm not quite at the point where I'm looking to actually get into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom