• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horizon Chase (iOS) is such a good video game. It is basically Top Gear SNES Reborn. Same composer too. I think it might be a thing Jeff would be into,

hCB9tSOl.jpg

ifAdn2ll.jpg

Works with a controller too!

Santar

Those descriptions of all the guys in all the BG threads never fail to crack me up :D
Also, this should've been the top pic :p
F7mirv0.png

Keyser,

I just thought about another rebuttal against your MGSV-might-be-on-fire-on-PC cynicism

Just about every decent source regarding the development of the game has stated that it's been complete for months now. The game (at least the campaign) isn't coming in hot like a lot of recent AAA releases. Hell, some reports stated that the game couldve been out as early as June.

So, come, join us here in cheap MGSV PC land, where the metal gears look damn fine

Keyser,

I just thought about another rebuttal against your MGSV-might-be-on-fire-on-PC cynicism

Just about every decent source regarding the development of the game has stated that it's been complete for months now. The game (at least the campaign) isn't coming in hot like a lot of recent AAA releases. Hell, some reports stated that the game couldve been out as early as June.

So, come, join us here in cheap MGSV PC land, where the metal gears look damn fine

why haven't you just told him that Ground Zeroes was a dope port

tuxfool

Banned
I did

then he said that it was a 10 month old port and that all ports by Konami were late ports

so then i pointed him to Lords of Shadows 2 being day and date

::crickets::

Maybe you should point out that the game was always intended to be natively run on PC. All the other platforms are actually downports of the PC version.

either way, embargo is up in advance of release so it should be pretty easy to know if you're throwing your money at a broken piece of shit

Guys I don't understand this perception that PC games launch broken. It's a damn golden era of PC gaming.

Seems people are assuming that the recent rash of bad WB PC ports is commonplace.

Most people on PC who whine about their PC ports being busted are due to it not running 60 fps on 5000k with a 3dfx GPU. In reality, rare is the console-to-pc port where the PC version is actually worse than the console version. Even the "badly done" port of Dark Souls ran at the same resolution and at a better framerate than the console versions. It just lacked arbitrary resolution options and an unlocked framerate. So, even at its worse it was still the best version of the game on release.

MKX and B:AK were crap, yes, and i'm glad that WB got refunded into embarrassment regarding the latter because that shit was and remains unacceptable. But these days, those two cases are the exception, not the norm.

kAmui-

Guys I don't understand this perception that PC games launch broken. It's a damn golden era of PC gaming.

Working game doesn't make interesting news. And it's easy to remember a bad port. What other games besides Arkham Knight and AC Unity have launched totally broken as of late?

Edit: I guess MKX was kinda broken.

kvk1

It's probably going to be a safe bet to skip next week's Bombcast if you're trying to avoid MGS spoilers, eh?

I can't imagine they won't want to talk about the stuff that will come out on the 23rd and after.

Unity wasn't broken at launch on PC, there were a few weird bugs but the performance was miles above the console versions and it was very playable.

The famous face glitch was fixed in the day one patch.

I don't think we should be trying to dissuade someone who doesn't want to commit money prior to launch. That's the normal thing to do with everything.

well had he just said "i don't want to spend so much money on a game, i dont preorder stuff" then that would've been fine. Rare is the game that I buy at launch myself given how quickly games get cheap these days.

It's the part where he then said that it's coming from a japanese developer and that itll likely be broken at launch where i got my jimmies rustled

Unity wasn't broken at launch on PC, there were a few weird bugs but the performance was miles above the console versions and it was very playable.

The famous face glitch was fixed in the day one patch.
Exactly. I mean, there is a problem with more games launching buggy on all platforms, but the PC version is still usually the best of them. Some people are just ignorant about it and not afraid to show it.

speaking of recent PC ports, the Final Fantasy Type 0 port seems okay. locked at 30, which is a bummer, and no arbitrary resolution support (only 1080 and 720) BUT it uses downsampling for its AA solution, meaning it actually can render the game at much higher resolutions. Weird, but still competent.

But i really bring it up because I wonder if Brad bought the thing for Dotato 2 items. Personally, i can't wait to sell mine on 9/2 for big money dollas

Keyser,

I did

then he said that it was a 10 month old port and that all ports by Konami were late ports

so then i pointed him to Lords of Shadows 2 being day and date

::crickets::

My simple point was to be careful throwing money at things ahead of release. I mean all things. Same with Fallout.4. Same with Mad Max. Most definitely be careful with Star Wars BattleFront and Assassin's Creed Syndicate. I am not singling out MGSV.

I am just hoping that people don't go in expecting everything is rosey, and then get angry when it is not. There is now precedent for games not to be right, even if developers tell us things will be great. There are too many games getting too much wrong on too many platforms nowaday to put down money ahead of time for them. If that money is impossible (or maybe just difficult) to refund, then I would never put money down ahead of time for any game

MGSV may get it right. I will be happy if they get it right. I certainly wont be mad if they create a technically marvel across three platforms. However, I will go in expecting some issue simply as there have been issues in the past. I will be doing exactly the same for the 10 or so other big multiplatform release coming 4 months.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Y'know, I don't think I will ever enjoy playing a trine game, but goddamn the picture book stuff is super pretty.

I think Keyser has the right mindset. Don't preorder stuff, don't give games the benefit of the doubt before they're released. I think Phantom Pain will run well based on my experience with Ground Zeroes, but being wary is not a bad thing.

But i really bring it up because I wonder if Brad bought the thing for Dotato 2 items. Personally, i can't wait to sell mine on 9/2 for big money dollas

Wait, we can sell those items?

I think Keyser has the right mindset. Don't preorder stuff, don't give games the benefit of the doubt before they're released. I think Phantom Pain will run well based on my experience with Ground Zeroes, but being wary is not a bad thing.

Thankfully steam refunds can help you in the event that you preorder a game that launches broken.

My simple point was to be careful throwing money at things ahead of release. I mean all things. Same with Fallout.4. Same with Mad Max. Most definitely be careful with Star Wars BattleFront and Assassin's Creed Syndicate. I am not singling out MGSV.

I am just hoping that people don't go in expecting everything is rosey, and then get angry when it is not. There is now precedent for games not to be right, even if developers tell us things will be great. There are too many games getting too much wrong on too many platforms nowaday to put down money ahead of time for them. If that money is impossible (or maybe just difficult) to refund, then I would never put money down ahead of time for any game

MGSV may get it right. I will be happy if they get it right. I certainly wont be mad if they create a technically marvel across three platforms. However, I will go in expecting some issue simply as there have been issues in the past. I will be doing exactly the same for the 10 or so other big multiplatform release coming 4 months.

I agree with all of this.

But my bro started his reasoning with lol konami lol japanese developers lol it'll be broken

Which, again, didn't seem right to me.

But had the reasoning been what Keyser posted just now then i wouldn't have said a word because I agree with him on those points completely: games are almost always going to be better 4-6 months down the line, they'll be cheaper too, and personally my backlog is such that i don't have any real reason to pick up a game on day one.

Wait, we can sell those items?

yup, starting on 9/2 they are marketable!

But Ive already had my MGSV collectors edition preordered for months! Months I say!

man, I'm so worried that Trine 3 isn't any good

I loved the first two and I'm a big fan of linear 3D platformers, but I'm not hearing anything good

But Ive already had my MGSV collectors edition preordered for months! Months I say!

That's a different issue. You are simply buying pointless plastic crap. That is a whole other fight to have!

BTW, my opinion on CEs is to avoid them completely. but if I really like a game I will buy some well made wall art or prints down the like. This currently works well for me, as even Raiden had more stuff on his walls that I do right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom