• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #16 | DO... DONK...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, MGScanlon V eh? I thought for sure they wouldn't want to play through the game like that. Will Dan be playing it first, or will the first time he experiences is be watching Drew play it?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What's with the Beastcast this week? I think they mentioned it'll be up later because of PAX, is that right? They could have a really good line-up this time.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Wow, MGScanlon V eh? I thought for sure they wouldn't want to play through the game like that. Will Dan be playing it first, or will the first time he experiences is be watching Drew play it?

I have to imagine dan will want to play this on his own, and will have completed it long before drew.

Maybe simultaneously? Similar to how he's played a couple of the other games at the same time as Drew? Maybe just stay ahead of Drew a bit.

Or Dan could just end up blowing through it as fast as possible and then sit in with Drew.

Maybe simultaneously? Similar to how he's played a couple of the other games at the same time as Drew? Maybe just stay ahead of Drew a bit.

Or Dan could just end up blowing through it as fast as possible and then sit in with Drew.

I'm not sure a simultaneous playthrough would work with the way MGSV is structured.

I don't think Dan could wait either.

What's with the Beastcast this week? I think they mentioned it'll be up later because of PAX, is that right? They could have a really good line-up this time.

They're doing it live (at 11AM PDT so in about six hours) and uploading some time after.

I have to imagine dan will want to play this on his own, and will have completed it long before drew.

Yeah I would think Dan would play it first. Not really possible to play it simultaneously though. In any case, I'm glad they're doing it!

So it sounds like the panel last night is worth watching? I was busy sleeping.

popo

does Johnny take vacations. seems like he's been campaigning Disney Infinity forever

You take time off during the dev cycle, not when your game is shipping.

Oh man, MGScanlon V was announced? Sweet!

Was the panel any good? Hope it's archived on the site soon!

You made it happen, you reverse genie you. Now tell me how I'm never going to win the lottery.

Scizzy

There's a 90% chance Dan is going to take next Tuesday and Wednesday off to play through MGS in as few sittings as possible. He'll finish months before Drew.

Checked out the mini Panel last night and that was fun.

Nice Patrick appearance there and Austin was killing it with his mic issues lol

The stuff that will be coming up shortly should be very interesting (the actual Panel, Paxmania, Live Mario Party Party 5)

pizzacat

Banned
Did you sub at the $35 offer price? Doesn't come with a code. Not really a "sale", but a blessing for non-US who don't want to pay shipping.
Oh so it's already discounted when I buy a shirt or it just doesn't come with one during the sales?

Zaph

Jeff and Vinny's Mike Tatum story was pretty good. Wonder if that yelling about content is what led to the existence of Endurance Run?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Someone needs to make a compilation of the best moments of the Rock band segment because goddamn, there's too much of that.

Zaph

Oh so it's already discounted when I buy a shirt or it just doesn't come with one during the sales?

Sale price doesn't come with a store discount. But if you're going to buy something, I'm pretty sure I have a few codes unused in my email.

I really hope that if they do a MGSV playthrough that they go through with their original plans of recording them soon after launch and then holding them for at least 6 months. It's one thing to play through those older games, i don't see that hurting sales. But putting up a playthrough at or around launch is something that doesn't sit right by me.

I had some issues with the Contradiction playthrough but it helps that that game already had been on ios for several months.

I really hope that if they do a MGSV playthrough that they go through with their original plans of recording them soon after launch and then holding them for at least 6 months. It's one thing to play through those older games, i don't see that hurting sales. But putting up a playthrough at or around launch is something that doesn't sit right by me.

I had some issues with the Contradiction playthrough but it helps that that game already had been on ios for several months.

They're not doing that. Jeff specifically talked about how playing games at launch like this is no longer unusual or a big deal. I'm not sure how GB is going to hurt sales when there will be hundreds of twitch streams and let's plays out there.

And those Contradiction videos were probably the biggest piece of publicity the game got, people involved in making the game didn't send jokes to GB for no reason.

They're not doing that. Jeff specifically talked about how playing games at launch like this is no longer unusual or a big deal. I'm not sure how GB is going to hurt sales when there will be hundreds of twitch streams and let's plays out there.

And those Contradiction videos were probably the biggest piece of publicity the game got, people involved in making the game didn't send jokes to GB for no reason.

That's fine that they don't find it to be a big deal but that doesn't mean it has to sit well with me.

Morts

I actually feel a bit bad that Drew won't get to play MGSV on his own terms. Also I doubt I'll want to watch right after playing it myself.

tchocky

I would have more issue with it, if it was some niche or indie game (or a game where it is 100% about the story) but this is one of the biggest releases of the year so I don't think they have to worry about sales.

I suppose that part of it comes from a place where I feel like they've done enough to help push sales for MGSV. They played through the 4 major games and watched the story for a fifth. They helped get people hooked, now let them go discover it for themselves. that's the real joy that i derive from the series and surely one that both drew and dan could relate to.

I dunno, i would very much have the same feelings if Jeff and Vinny announced that they would skype through a playthrough of Persona 5 in 2016 (when it comes out). They spent all that time playing P4, getting people into the whole thing that were either unaware of the series or simply curious, and now them doing a P5 series seems like a bit much, you know?

I'd think it would've been better off as the original idea was (record now, release later) or to have a similar approach as what they did with Dark Souls 2, where they occasionally dipped into it when it came out but left it alone soon after.

but maybe that's just me and im a crazy person or something

Myggen

I suppose that part of it comes from a place where I feel like they've done enough to help push sales for MGSV. They played through the 4 major games and watched the story for a fifth. They helped get people hooked, now let them go discover it for themselves. that's the real joy that i derive from the series and surely one that both drew and dan could relate to.

I dunno, i would very much have the same feelings if Jeff and Vinny announced that they would skype through a playthrough of Persona 5 in 2016 (when it comes out). They spent all that time playing P4, getting people into the whole thing that were either unaware of the series or simply curious, and now them doing a P5 series seems like a bit much, you know?

I'd think it would've been better off as the original idea was (record now, release later) or to have a similar approach as what they did with Dark Souls 2, where they occasionally dipped into it when it came out but left it alone soon after.

but maybe that's just me and im a crazy person or something

I think you're just getting old, get with the Let's Play times, duder.

Also, is the YouTube stage thing today?

BearPawB

Banned
As Jeff said they are the only ones who ever cared about that. Konami is paying Greg Miller to do lets plays of early levels. Publishers don't care, viewers want it, giant bomb was just harming themselves by making a blanket "no new games" policy.

And by all accounts the best part of MGSV is playing it.

As Jeff said they are the only ones who ever cared about that. Konami is paying Greg Miller to do lets plays of early levels. Publishers don't care, viewers want it, giant bomb was just harming themselves by making a blanket "no new games" policy.

And by all accounts the best part of MGSV is playing it.

Plus this should just be a precursor for a cross country P5 Endurance Run.

LiK

If it's a premium feature, I don't believe they will be as strict with the new game policy as before. Contradiction was certainly a great example of this. Altho I don't expect them to bother posting MGSV until after GOTY awards.

Zaph

If it's a premium feature, I don't believe they will be as strict with the new game policy as before. Contradiction was certainly a great example of this. Altho I don't expect them to bother posting MGSV until after GOTY awards.
It's coming after pax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom