• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know my playing style. If I'm not hooked from the start, things don't bode well for my playtime in the future.

strange, i usually need a warmup period before i consider putting a game down. the last couple of games that i can remember this happening to me were MGSV and XCOM EU. the prologue for MGSV kinda left me cold towards the game so it wasn't until i was 3-4 hours in that the missions really grabbed me

I remember playing the first hour of Xcom and wondering what all the fuss was about. I then followed that hour with 5 straight hours of gameplay and felt bad that i had picked up Dishonored at the same time because i was all in on Xcom for the foreseeable future.

It's just a given that JJBA is the best, you don't even have to bring it up. It's one of those things everyone knows.
ah okay, i guess it really is a showstopper. I suppose other animes deserves some talk, too.

Patryn

I like Robotech.

Am I doing it right?

The thing is that I'm being dead serious. I honest to god thought this morning that I would have really liked to watch some Robotech at that moment. I miss decent morning TV.

that One Punch Man anime is appealing to the part of me that enjoys JJBA. it might be one of those series that is better animated than in manga

Anime COULD be good if it did away this the pointless rambling exposition and reexplaining of itself every episode. That said, it's garbage trash for babies. Now let us never speak of it again.... and we never did.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Anime COULD be good if it did away this the pointless rambling exposition and reexplaining of itself every episode.

This, this right here. Why is this trope so prevalent in anime? Why must all exposition be incredibly belabored and overwrought? One time I tried watching Naruto (this was many years ago, I was like 18 or something) and by the fourth episode they were already filling literally half the episode with flashbacks to things that happened THE PREVIOUS FUCKING EPISODE and I said "fuck this".

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The real reason for these short quick looks is the sudden evaporation of fantasy football ad dollars. Time is money, as they say, and less money obviously means fewer quick look minutes.

This, this right here. Why is this trope so prevalent in anime? Why must all exposition be incredibly belabored and overwrought? One time I tried watching Naruto (this was many years ago, I was like 18 or something) and by the fourth episode they were already filling literally half the episode with flashbacks to things that happened THE PREVIOUS FUCKING EPISODE and I said "fuck this".

because when you try to make a cartoon with a shoestring budget it's easier to do that with still frames, panning through still frames, and lots of exposition since those things requires little to zero animation.

Anime is almost always cheaply produced hence their reliance on storytelling to keep their audience engaged.

Patryn

because when you try to make a cartoon with a shoestring budget it's easier to do that with still frames, panning through still frames, and lots of exposition since those things requires little to zero animation.

Anime is almost always cheaply produced hence their reliance on storytelling to keep their audience engaged.

It also helps to ensure that nobody is lost and people can just watch an episode and be caught up.

Wrestling does the same thing.

how to enjoy anime: if it's some ongoing shite, you're fucked

Look for something with obvious stopping points. 1X episode shows are usually golden re: not explaining themselves. 2X too. Adaptations of popular long-running manga are usually where you'll run into your awful pacing business like with Naruto, unless the manga began decades ago like JoJo, which AFAIK is not very common.

basically watch Gatchaman

L6MIvQR.gif

tuxfool

Banned

Your mistake was watching Naruto...

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Just watch Cowboy Bebop

it is fucking great

there is a cowboy named ANDY

ANDY!

and plus it is filled to the brim with excellent music and music references. It transcends anime and is up there with The Wire/The Day Today/Brasseye level of high quality television.

otherwise, fuck anime

as much as Cowboy Bebop is incredible - and the dub REALLY FUCKING HELPS - making out like it's the only good anime is some shite

foh with that

I forget... why are we arguing about anime again? And what does it have to do with Giant Bomb?

well look there's the Kai of the north, south, east, and west. And then i believe there's a master Kai above all of them and he has the fusion earrings. there are other kais, too, but that's neither here nor there

i mean you either know these things or you dont

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Your mistake was watching Naruto...

This is fair.

But tbh I think I may just have to accept the whole thing's just not for me. I tried getting into Jojo and it didn't do it for me either, and that's supposed to be good. Even there they were just talking too damn much. Like everything happening on the screen had to be explained by Speedwagon or whoever was on hand. I'm okay with anime not being for me I guess.

This is fair.

But tbh I think I may just have to accept the whole thing's just not for me. I tried getting into Jojo and it didn't do it for me either, and that's supposed to be good. Even there they were just talking too damn much. Like everything happening on the screen had to be explained by Speedwagon or whoever was on hand. I'm okay with anime not being for me I guess.

look, if you've got a fucking problem with Speedwagon then you've got a fucking problem with me

for real, though: maybe just try anime films instead. Ghibli is good. Summer Wars is goooooooood.

I mean if you watch shitty anime of course you're going to have the problem of pacing/absurd exposition, especially with how so many animes try to come out right alongside the manga. Then you end up with this situation:

ePir0iN.gif

rd9dRSf.gif

uFXWZBI.gif

5eL50Yb.gif

yRa41mO.gif

look, if you've got a fucking problem with Speedwagon then you've got a fucking problem with me

for real, though: maybe just try anime films instead. Ghibli is good. Summer Wars is goooooooood.

for real, summer wars had one of the most surprising endings given how the rest of the movie was going

ultron87

After a few extra weeks I was finally caught up enough in the game to listen to the "hour and a half of MGSV" Bombcast. They sound so positive!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Oh yeah Ghibli's good, it doesn't fall into any of the typical tropes. I've heard of Summer Wars before, not seen it yet. I'll try to remember that. I remember liking the Cowboy Bebop movie too though that was many years ago. Never watched the show.

Oh yeah Ghibli's good, it doesn't fall into any of the typical tropes. I've heard of Summer Wars before, not seen it yet. I'll try to remember that. I remember liking the Cowboy Bebop movie too though that was many years ago. Never watched the show.

Because they have a budget and are generally a little more... artsy (at least from what I've seen), anime films usually avoid most of the tropes of TV anime (again, at least from what I've seen)

Like stump mentioned, the works of Satoshi Kon (Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika (the inspiration for Inception)) are also good. Also there's Mind Game on Netflix if you fancy a mindfuck.

Heimbeck

Banned
After a few extra weeks I was finally caught up enough in the game to listen to the "hour and a half of MGSV" Bombcast. They sound so positive!

It seems like it will be number one for GOTY, don't think much else is going to come close for the crew.

Patryn

It seems like it will be number one for GOTY, don't think much else is going to come close for the crew.

Especially if you look at the rundown:

Dan - Clearly his number 1
Drew - Either that or Mario Maker? Can't think of anything else he's played that could challenge
Jeff - The only thing I thought could challenge was Mario Maker, but he's on the record as saying he'd pick MGSV over it
Brad - The wild card, but he really liked it
Vinny - Liked it so much that he's put 20+ hours into it, which considering his situation is impressive
Austin - Probably will move to it once it's clear Undertale won't win
Alex - Also a fan of the game.

Nope.

And people who think Fallout will beat it are straight up cray.

I'm honestly up in the air on Fallout making the bottom of the Top 10 much less challenging MGSV.

Nope.

And people who think Fallout will beat it are straight up cray.

If only because FO4 probably comes out during the time the crew will be super busy, I would guess.

If they all spend their "play shit we missed" time playing Fallout 3-2 I will be mad

the only real wildcards for GOTY the rest of this year are Halo 5 and Fallout 4 and i can't see either of them being better than MGSV.

MGSV has Brad and Jeff's backing and those are the only two who would argue over such a thing. so that kinda seals it.

TraBuch

Banned
I watched Welcome to the NHK a couple years after high school and it literally changed my life. I could relate to the main character in quite a few ways, and it made me really uncomfortable, made me rethink what I was doing with my life. I bet there are a lot of people out of high school that could also relate.

Heimbeck

Banned
Especially if you look at the rundown:

Dan - Clearly his number 1
Drew - Either that or Mario Maker? Can't think of anything else he's played that could challenge
Jeff - The only thing I thought could challenge was Mario Maker, but he's on the record as saying he'd pick MGSV over it
Brad - The wild card, but he really liked it
Vinny - Liked it so much that he's put 20+ hours into it, which considering his situation is impressive
Austin - Probably will move to it once it's clear Undertale won't win
Alex - Also a fan of the game.

I'm honestly up in the air on Fallout making the bottom of the Top 10 much less challenging MGSV.

Hmm, I think Dan and Brad are the biggest fans and will push for it more than anyone else.
I don't think amyone would oppose to it being number 1 though.

killroy87

If only because FO4 probably comes out during the time the crew will be super busy, I would guess.

If they all spend their "play shit we missed" time playing Fallout 3-2 I will be mad

Available time is the least of my worries. There is still a month and a half between FO4 and them recording, plus it's not like these guys are mandated to play every single game. There will be more than enough time for them to have their fill of FO4, plus whatever else they see fit.

There are a lot of games coming, but it's not like an indescribable amount. Especially since most of them will be writing off Ass Creed.

Myggen

Best QL of the last 3 posted? Want something good to watch when I'm grubbin.

Chibi-Robo.

"That stuff from the PS2 era doesn't really hold up"

lol whatever Brad

I largely agree with him about Rockstar games. Mechanically I don't think the GTA games from that era hold up well because of how massive the gameplay improvements have been with open world games since then. I doubt I'd enjoy any of the GTA games from that era if I played them for the first time today, even though I have a massive amount of nostalgia for especially Vice City.

I doubt Brad was saying all PS2 games with that statement, more likely he was referring to these kind of games. Ironically Bully is probably the Rockstar game that holds up the best from that era because it has less of an open world.

Fooly Cooly/FLCL. That's some good Japanamation. I always hear people say watching other anime/manga/japan shit helps understanding but fuck that, it's easy enough to understand. Also, it's only 6 episodes so you can finish that shit in a Sunday afternoon.

Im more interested in 2-10 at this point anyway. They should just get the #1 spot of MGSV out of the way first in their top 10 discussion.

I watched Welcome to the NHK a couple years after high school and it literally changed my life. I could relate to the main character in quite a few ways, and it made me really uncomfortable, made me rethink what I was doing with my life. I bet there are a lot of people out of high school that could also relate.

NHK was fantastic. Some episodes towards around episode 8 were kind of losing me but it got really good again, even as someome who really couldn't relate to most of it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
well look there's the Kai of the north, south, east, and west. And then i believe there's a master Kai above all of them and he has the fusion earrings. there are other kais, too, but that's neither here nor there

i mean you either know these things or you dont

How does Cobra Kai fit into all of this?

4819711-6125444736-sweep.jpg

killroy87

Here are the rest of the 2015 games big enough that the GB Crew (in some form or another) pretty much need to at least consider them for GOTY

Transformers
Yoshi's Woolly World (this is half joking)
Guitar Hero Live
Zelda Tri Force Heroes
Halo 5
Ass Creed Syndicate
Need For Speed
Tomb Raider
Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void (maybe. this will be Brad, and Brad alone)
Star Wars battlefront
Fallout 4
Just Cause 3
Rainbow Six
Xenoblade (again, this is half joking)

This is a more than manageable list of titles for them to generally get a feel for, especially when you strip out the ones that will almost certainly not make a dent (like Zelda, Starcraft, and Rainbow Six).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom