• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
cowboy bebop is a classic for a reason and it's not super long.

if want a show that will take you like 2 years+ to get through, try Gintama

don't watch madoka

The Cowboy Bebop Blu-Ray was the best purchasing decision I've made this year, if noy this decade.

hamchan

Honestly, I'd have to agree. But to know what it is about one has to stick with Madoka for more than one episode.

Honestly, wouldn't recommend Madoka to newbies. They'll drop it so fast just thinking it's a generic magical girl series.

Bacon

Honestly I'd go to town on some watermelon airheads right now to this very day. Those things were dank as fuck

you guys better not be passing on that bundle. It's $5 for a bunch of really cool games including contradiction.

gotta pay them fine brits for their hard work

kvothe

Oh, look, another sub-20 minute quick look headed by Dan. Is it a pattern yet or am I still just seeing things?

valid question! actually good.

I've plowed through most of Junji ito's stuff over the last week in a state of mourning over Silent Hills. kind of in the mood for more good stuff and not the usual trash I read

Pluto
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

I can't believe you haven't read Yotsuba

repeater

Brad dropping the Knack meme in the PS+ discussion on this week's Bombcast shows that secretly he is GAF's one true chosen champion

Dan will have to step up his game
i.e. post more frequently in this thread

Myggen

Oh, look, another sub-20 minute quick look headed by Dan. Is it a pattern yet or am I still just seeing things?

I mean, it didn't really feel like he failed to show off much of that game in 20-ish minutes. It's probably the Game Informer in him that makes him keep these kind of QLs short.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man

With certain games, it's easy to cover all of the main talking points in far less than 20 minutes. It's not that I try to make them short or anything, it's that I tend to cover a lot of platformers and simpler games that don't require 45 minutes to explain and show off. I don't think an extra half hour of Chibi-Robo jumping on stuff would add much in the way of entertainment or helping with a purchasing decision, for example.

With certain games, it's easy to cover all of the main talking points in far less than 20 minutes. It's not that I try to make them short or anything, it's that I tend to cover a lot of platformers and simpler games that don't require 45 minutes to explain and show off. I don't think an extra half hour of Chibi-Robo jumping on stuff would add much in the way of entertainment or helping with a purchasing decision, for example.

uc7noGp.gif

Paprika is a masterpiece and everybody should watch it, regardless of their stance on anime

e: all of Kon's movies honestly

kvothe

Thanks for the reply, Dan. Maybe I'm just too used to Quick Looks erring on the side of showing too much rather than too little? Or more shooting the shit going on? You seem much more concise than the other GB members, and maybe that's something I just need to come to appreciate.

Either way, thanks for the work you do.

Patryn

For what it's worth, I think you're right, Dan.

As long as you don't shortchange the games that do deserve the longer coverage.

i have no issues with how short that QL was. You pretty much got all of what you needed to know about the game in the duration of the QL.

You gotta remember, QLs used to be an under 20 minute thing, sometimes even under ten minutes back in the day. These longer QLs are a more recent trend on the site, really.

Heimbeck

Banned
i have no issues with how short that QL was. You pretty much got all of what you needed to know about the game in the duration of the QL.

You gotta remember, QLs used to be an under 20 minute thing, sometimes even under ten minutes back in the day. These longer QLs are a more recent trend on the site, really.

I mean, you would think something called a quick would only be about 30 minutes.
Some of the long QLs are the best though.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
For what it's worth, I think you're right, Dan.

As long as you don't shortchange the games that do deserve the longer coverage.

I don't think that's a risk. When I'm covering a bigger game, I like to show everything it has to offer. That's how I determine when it's time to end a Quick Look. If I've shown and talked about everything worth talking about, I wrap it up. Sometimes that happens at 20 minutes, sometimes it can be closer to an hour.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It isn't that recent a trend. It's been the way for more of the site's existence than it hasn't. I don't have a problem with short quick looks for simple games though. Longer videos for slow developing and complex games make sense. For small and straightforward games it just feels like an iOS UPF segment where everybody gets the point and nobody seems to get anything out of the longer coverage. It might even hurt games because they seem boring by the end even if the game itself is fun. The real short quick look for Airscape got my attention (even if NOBODY bought that game unfortunately) and I don't think it would have been better served by more time, for example.

killroy87

I don't really think Chibi Robo should be the game to spark a discussion about quick looks being longer. Did you actually watch the thing? You could have shown off everything in like 90 seconds.

It isn't that recent a trend. It's been the way for more of the site's existence than it hasn't. I don't have a problem with short quick looks for simple games though. Longer videos for slow developing and complex games make sense. For small and straightforward games it just feels like an iOS UPF segment where everybody gets the point and nobody seems to get anything out of the longer coverage. It might even hurt games because they seem boring by the end even if the game itself is fun. The real short quick look for Airscape got my attention (even if NOBODY bought that game unfortunately) and I don't think it would have been better served by more time, for example.

Well, i mean the trend of every QL being like 45-90 minutes long has been a more recent thing overall. Its to the point where whenever a QL isn't an hour long it's starting to feel weird.

and yeah, if only they would do 10-15 minute QLs of those ios games instead of half a UPF. Please, for the love of good pizza dont spend more than ten minutes on an ios game regardless of how great it is.

kvothe

Look, everybody, it's not that I'm here yearning for more chibi-robo coverage specifically. When the Uncharted QL went up last week, I noted that it felt a bit short and that it seemed to be a trend for Dan to make short Quick Looks. That's another game that doesn't necessarily warrant a lot of coverage, as it's just a re-release of old content but it just seemed like another example of a short Dan-fronted quick look to me. People acted as if it wasn't a pattern for Dan when I said that, so now that the Chibi-Robo QL went up, I thought I'd note that it's yet another short QL.

This is more about the overarching pattern than this specific QL. But, as Dan has already read my concern himself, further conversation about this seems fruitless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom