• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon

I can't see anything getting biggest disappointment over it.

You just know Jeff was secretly thinking it was gonna be rad

daydream

Banned
it just has to win disappointment of the year, i mean, c'mon

sure, it looked bad in what little pre-release footage we got so expectations were pretty low

but it also just completely missed the basic mark of not being a terrible game which should be expected of every game, especially in that space. the fact that this tony hawk game is not just mediocre or average but a complete mess (and they had plenty of time to make a new one) is heart-breaking and pretty much the definition of disappointment, imo

in that regard, i see it on a different level compared to other candidates, both aesthetically and emotionally

danm999

I can't see anything getting biggest disappointment over it.

You just know Jeff was secretly thinking it was gonna be rad

Totally. Even Arkham Knight can't touch it.

Unless Just Cause 3 is on fire or something. That's always a possibility I suppose.

the thing about battlefront so far is that the AT-AT attack mode doesn't seem very well balanced in the slightest. It also doesn't seem very fun at all. Shockingly, I'm having the most fun in the smaller mode. Kind of the opposite of what you expect from both DICE and Battlefront, but there it is.

justjim89

Every PPV and Raw makes me ask why I still watch wrestling and every Takeover reminds me why. Damn that was good.

Brad mentioning on the bombcast that he perpetually considers going in on a free WWE Network trial really makes me hope Brad gives wrestling a try. Because with his addictive personality, that could be some glorious Bombcast content.

Jeff's story on mixlr a few minutes ago was pretty great. Activision took the THPS3 disc out of their PS2 after previewing, but didn't turn the system off meaning it still had the level loaded in RAM so they kept the PS2 on for like three days still playing it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff's story on mixlr a few minutes ago was pretty great. Activision took the THPS3 disc out of their PS2 after previewing, but didn't turn the system off meaning it still had the level loaded in RAM so they kept the PS2 on for like three days still playing it.

Think he told that story on the THPS 3 TNT.

Which is a great TNT.

Starting up NXT now.

I've been kinda-sorta paying attention to wrestling lately thanks to these jagoffs, watching the "big" PPVs and background-half-watching the weekly shows (paying full attention when the small handful of interesting people like New Day show up). It's been kind of fascinating.

My best friend growing up in the 90s was hugely into wrestling so I saw a lot through him (I'm 29 now; started high school in 2000) and I had seen nothing between then and starting up a WWE Network subscription a few months back. I was surprised to see how round-edged everything is now, but I was even more surprised to see just how MASSIVELY reliant it all is on the old people who were big names back in those years. Undertaker and Triple H and Kane and Dudley Boyz and etc etc etc. For that matter, I was surprised to learn that the likes of Cena and so-boring-he-needs-a-support-character Lesnar have been around for over a decade. Are they just incapable of finding exciting new talent? Or do the fans not want anything other than the old stuff they already like?

The one thing that kept me subscribed to the 'network was the Bayley match a few weeks back, which was engaging in a way I'm not sure I've ever experienced in this nonsense, so I'm kind of excited to see whatever happened tonight.

This is the most I've ever typed about wrestling.

justjim89

Starting up NXT now.

I've been kinda-sorta paying attention to wrestling lately thanks to these jagoffs, watching the "big" PPVs and background-half-watching the weekly shows (paying full attention when the small handful of interesting people like New Day show up). It's been kind of fascinating.

My best friend growing up in the 90s was hugely into wrestling so I saw a lot through him (I'm 29 now; started high school in 2000) and I had seen nothing between then and starting up a WWE Network subscription a few months back. I was surprised to see how round-edged everything is now, but I was even more surprised to see just how MASSIVELY reliant it all is on the old people who were big names back in those years. Undertaker and Triple H and Kane and Dudley Boyz and etc etc etc. For that matter, I was surprised to learn that the likes of Cena and so-boring-he-needs-a-support-character Lesnar have been around for over a decade. Are they just incapable of finding exciting new talent? Or do the fans not want anything other than the old stuff they already like?

The one thing that kept me subscribed to the 'network was the Bayley match a few weeks back, which was engaging in a way I'm not sure I've ever experienced in this nonsense, so I'm kind of excited to see whatever happened tonight.

The new talent thing has been a problem for years. They perpetually flirt with building new stars, (The Nexus, The Shield, Ziggler, Rusev, Kevin Owens, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, The New Day currently) and it'll start to go well, but anytime any numbers dip, be it ratings, buyrates, t-shirt sales, they seem to always put Cena back in the title picture and return the status quo. They don't take risks. They have all the talent in the world and could have a brand new main event scene by this time next year, but they won't. Because they don't need to. And by the time they actually need to it'll be too late.

Didn't even know that was possible, I guess there's not level streaming of any sort, pretty cool story.

Think he told that story on the THPS 3 TNT.

Which is a great TNT.

Just found it. Gonna need to watch this.

Starting up NXT now.

Lesnar isn't boring by himself. He just has Mike Tyson syndrome where his voice doesn't match the way he looks in a bad way.
They're constantly finding great new talent, but the issue is for way too many years they kept getting afraid to put time into building them into proper stars because they're too worried about week to week ratings which causes them to push people who are already stars for a temporary ratings boost. We're now in this 1996-style era where the ratings are the lowest they've been in almost two decades and now they're finally building new stars when they can't rely on their old stars as crutches (ex. The Rock, Batista) as much as they used to. There are way more currently rising stars today than there were just a few years ago.

Rainmaker

Banned
Starting up NXT now.

It gets quite complicated when discussing why certain people stay in high positions for so many years but it all boils down to who makes them the money and who Vince McMahon likes. Lesnar has been great as a special attraction when paired against the right opponents lately.

There's definitely stars on the rise (Balor should be huge one day. Owens has what it takes for sure. Zayn has great charisma. Cesaro should be given more but Vince thinks he can't get over because "he's too Swiss." Daniel Bryan was/is something undeniably special) who could do big things but ultimately if McMahon doesn't see it in them he won't ever give them a true shot. Then you have people like Roman Reigns last year that McMahon sees something in and pushes them down the audiences throat way too soon and it backfires.

Cena is legitimately a good wrestler but his character is so sterile and annoying at this point it's hard to care but he still draws them big money. The casual fans watch wrestling differently than the hardcore fans and usually the mainstream WWE products are aimed at the casual watchers and trying to bring in new fans. They know the hardcores will watch anyway.

The reliance on old guys is supremely annoying. The booking is so bad and safe that they won't hardly ever do what it takes to make new stars. They're scared to have the new faces beat the sure-thing big name superstars clean.

Bayley is arguably the best character in wrestling (outside of Dalton Castle) and has had significant character development which is usually a weakness with booking. Her and Sasha continue to have great chemistry. This was probably the most well-rounded NXT Takeover from top of the card to bottom. Enjoy!!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
working on this
6AKB3I5.png

Megasoum

Banned
I really wish there was a way to play THPS3 and 4 on a modern PC/Console...

I have them on PS2 but I don't have my PS2 anymore and my OG Fat PS3 died last year so I have the grill model now.

Apparently the PC ports are great but they are obviously not available digitaly anywhere.

alr1ght

if they were available digitally, the licensed music would be ripped to shreds and replaced with Lockdown, Ghetto Bird, and Party Hard.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
When someone so jaded becomes so happy playing or watching video games, it becomes even more fun to watch.

I really wish there was a way to play THPS3 and 4 on a modern PC/Console...

I have them on PS2 but I don't have my PS2 anymore and my OG Fat PS3 died last year so I have the grill model now.

Apparently the PC ports are great but they are obviously not available digitaly anywhere.

You can use your PS2 discs on an emulator if your PC is strong enough.

alr1ght

We just need Lang to give up CEO'ing and jetsetting around the world to form GB Chicago with Patrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom