• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
uevLpN2l.png

Me photographing Dan periscoping Drew periscoping Jeff watching Patrick play Mario Maker level made by them and the community (while watching Patrick play said level).
dH3vllS.jpg

neshcom

Banned
Listening to the new Bombcast and I'm 100% over hearing about the Destiny expansion. It's to the point where I had to just totally skip that segment on the podcast.

Is this what it's like, people who don't care about MGSV?

I sure most people wouldn't agree but I find the Mario 3 aesthetic to be more visually pleasing and consistent than the Mario World aesthetic. I think the Mario World highs are higher but the lows are lower.

daydream

Banned
I sure most people wouldn't agree but I find the Mario 3 aesthetic to be more visually pleasing and consistent than the Mario World aesthetic. I think the Mario World highs are higher but the lows are lower.

yup, i'd have to agree, smb3's aesthetic is much more coherent and almost has that picture book vibe to it sometimes

i prefer smw as a game but i gotta hand it to art team of 3, it's a work of genius

I didn't know that those round brown things in Mario world were supposed to be goombas till Mario maker. So Mario 3 has it beat on that.

But the multiple exits, the branching paths, the cape, and even special world makes smw the best Mario for me. I played Mario 3 a bunch when younger but never really had the drive to finish it yet I 100%ed smw

I put PT in my top 10 last year and I didn't play it.

I'll probably put Until Dawn there too and I didn't play that either

I'm one of those people that says yes it is, I excluded a lot of great games last year because I didn't play them, but I can see the argument against my train of thought too.

That's a really interesting question in these days of Let's Plays and such.

Last year I couldn't even build a top 10 list of games I liked, let alone finished. I feel ok about including Mario Maker on my list.

I agree but It is a strange view for the direction all Mario went after 3. Mario 3 will always be my Mario standard for growing up with it. Think about the colour of fire flower Mario, the average length of Mario levels, Mario World defines all that.

I like how once you hit this paragraph

OK, let's go deeper. I'm going to put this out there: A big part of what made Tony Hawk so successful back on the original PlayStation and PS2 was the way you could instantly pause the game and restart your run with a few quick presses. Bing, bang, boom, you're back in the game and ready to correct your previous mistake. Games like Super Meat Boy benefit from that same sort of quick retry, making trial and error as frictionless as possible. In Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5, starting a goal includes a load screen, which takes you out of the meaningless online freeskate mode and drops you into a solo instance. Then you sit there for a few seconds. Then a menu for the goal in question shows up. Then you have to wait for a little animation to complete, hit a button to start the goal, then your skater teleports to the goal start point and a three-second timer begins. Then, and only then, are you permitted to skate. If you mess up immediately--which, given the trial-and-error nature of some of the game's worst goals, is likely--you need to pause, push down like four times, enter a menu, confirm that you want to retry, then wait while the game hits a load screen and picks up from the "here's what this goal is" part of the previous process.

you can suddenly hear Jeff's voice in your head, his temper slowly slipping as he shouts louder and louder and starts emphasizing words more

danm999

That byline.

It's been a while since there's been a 1 star review as well. Now that Giant Beast is up and running Alex is no longer the shit game editor.

Edit; shit last one was NBA Live 14 back in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom