• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Democracy got us through giovanni's spin maze though.

"Man, I love spin mazes"

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I have another podcast comment.

To stop my keys moving around when I'm cycling, I used my genius brain to get the idea of putting an elastic band around them. The same should work for running.

SPCTRE

If you're not a journo who has to finish all these games before the end of the year I wouldn't worry about it.
intelectually, I know you're right of course - it's just that I feel like I want to be "with it", as the kids say, when the GOTY deliberations roll into town

Lijik

The pocket guy sent his email to both podcasts?

i spent half of that email feeling like i was losing my mind because i was 100% sure they had gotten that email last week yet were answering it like it was the first time they heard it before i remembered it was also on the beastcast.

kvk1

Life Is Strange spoilers below.

I'm really happy Vinny is doing all the right things to
to save Kate. I was afraid he wouldn't read about the family dynamics when in Kate's room, or that Alex might hurry him out of getting the phone call in the diner or something.

Really enjoying watching them play this game. I absolutely can't wait until they start getting to the end of Episode 3 and beyond.

The pocket guy sent his email to both podcasts?

Inquiring minds need to know, that or somebody is doing some serious research into pockets.

I'm sorry, that was me. For the past few months I've been emailing into both podcasts and not getting my questions read. So lately I've just started sending the same question to both to try and increase my chances. Never expected it to get read on both.

He even posted here. Not very inquiring if you ask me.

Xater

Also Dan was thinking of Phantasm on the Bombcast. That movie sucks, but there is some real funny dumb stuff in the series.

to save Kate. I was afraid he wouldn't read about the family dynamics when in Kate's room, or that Alex might hurry him out of getting the phone call in the diner or something.

Really enjoying watching them play this game. I absolutely can't wait until they start getting to the end of Episode 3 and beyond.

(Regarding the spoiler) Yeah I hope they do that if they keep playing, as it's one way in which their playthrough could differ a lot from mine.

Patryn

I was actually really surprised at the end of that episode, what the player base breakdown on that ended up being. I really thought it'd be more even.
I'm guessing people went back and redid things to get the "good" solution.

Xater

Phantasm 1 doesn't suck at all. the sequels are harder to defend but man I love those goofy-ass movies

Dude even Phantasm 1 is really bad. The movie was cut by someone who doesn't know how it works. It's one of the worst editing jobs I have ever seen. No pacing at all. Then there is also bullshit like that singing scene which is there for no reason at all. So no, even the first one can only be appreciated for how bad and weird it is.

Dude even Phantasm 1 is really bad. The movie was cut by someone who doesn't know how it works. It's one of the worst editing jobs I have ever seen. No pacing at all. Then there is also bullshit like that singing scene which is there for no reason at all. So no, even the first one can only be appreciated for how bad and weird it is.

if you want to argue it's rough then sure. but the kind of amateurish production just makes it that much weirder and frankly, better.

I mean you're probably right, honestly. But I think it's legitimately good.

JamboGT

I'm not 100% on my wrestling terminology, but Dan dumping Witcher 3 in favour of Destiny is the ultimate heel turn, isn't it?

Kinda with Dan on this, I have tried on four separate occasions to get into the Witcher 3, I don't like how it feels, I don't particularly like the characters, Destiny on the other hand feels really good and The Taken King has been really fun.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If Witcher 3 loses all of them in the process of playing it, it really can't be their GotY or anywhere near it. Not really sure what some people expect to happen.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If Witcher 3 loses all of them in the process of playing it, it really can't be their GotY or anywhere near it. Not really sure what some people expect to happen.
"Why cant the game I like be liked by everyone?!"

Basically.

Witcher 3 was fun, but then it isn't.

justjim89

I'm with you on that certainly. If they're not into it, they're obviously not obliged to play all the way through. Witcher is like a 100 hour game minimum, and if you're not having a good time it would feel like a chore. Most of them have put significant time into it, so they know the game and what it's about. It's not like they just dismissed it offhand like something like Dark Souls in 2011.

I think the disappointment for a lot of folks comes from the feeling that their favorite isn't being given or won't be given a fair shake. Which is also not the case, but that's the kind of facts that are easy to ignore when you get into fanboy mode.

Giant Bomb has never been a place with a lot of love for long, challenging RPGs that ask a lot of the player, except for guys like Rorie or Dave. Witcher 3 was never really gonna be a huge favorite the way something instantly-gratifying and accommodating like MGSV or a Bethesda RPG is.

Zaph

I mean you're probably right, honestly. But I think it's legitimately good.

Totally. It's up there with Re-Animator and Hellraiser of 80's-ish horror films from that are legitimately good.

Giant Bomb has never been a place with a lot of love for long, challenging RPGs that ask a lot of the player, except for guys like Rorie or Dave. Witcher 3 was never really gonna be a huge favorite the way something instantly-gratifying and accommodating like MGSV or a Bethesda RPG is.
And yet people still get surprised when the inevitable happens. GotY comes around and it's like "No, it'll be better this time, he's changed".

erawsd

Eh, it pretty much happens every year. Jeff and Brad got so much shit for not finishing TLOU leading up to GOTY back in 2013. I remember Brad saying that all the people demanding he play it was making him not want to play it

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Witcher 3 really isn't challening, nor does it ask a lot of the player, on the normal difficulty. You're already making it sound like them not liking it is a personal failing because they don't like deep games or something. There's definitely a judgemental tone to this statement. I'd say MGSV demands more of the player because the metagame layer requires a lot more attention. On normal you can Quen+faceroll through almost all of Witcher 3 and be fine. The game just isn't super interesting to play, despite having great story and setting.

imBask

Banned
i'm expecting Mario Maker to win GOTY because Jeff usually doesn''t concede much in the GOTY discussion

I love him, he's the best, but I find him irritating in these particular podcasts...

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, it pretty much happens every year. Jeff and Brad got so much shit for not finishing TLOU leading up to GOTY back in 2013. I remember Brad saying that all the people demanding he play it was making him not want to play it
Pretty sure that was Jeff and the others mostly finished it. Not the case with Witcher 3 at all.

Not even Vinny is into it!

Patryn

Pretty sure that was Jeff and the others mostly finished it. Not the case with Witcher 3 at all.

That entire time was just weird. They may have played it, but I don't think they talked about it a lot because at that time the last thing they wanted to talk about was a grim and depressing game.

Nero18

Don't get why people get mad at Brad and Jeff. By far
the most experienced and best at putting their arguments forward in a clear and persuasive way. Always enjoy the way they articulate their views.

Witcher 3 really isn't challening, nor does it ask a lot of the player, on the normal difficulty. You're already making it sound like them not liking it is a personal failing because they don't like deep games or something. There's definitely a judgemental tone to this statement. I'd say MGSV demands more of the player because the metagame layer requires a lot more attention. On normal you can Quen+faceroll through almost all of Witcher 3 and be fine. The game just isn't super interesting to play, despite having great story and setting.

I think by challenging he means that it really requires your attention and tests your patience more than something like MGSV, Destiny or Bethesda games in order to get some kind legitimate payoff from it. That you have to be willing to put in the significant amount of time in order to see the world, get to know the characters, and do the side stuff. Basically the player has to be willing to put in a lot of effort in order to get some enjoyment out of the game. Not that the game is actually challenging to play in difficulty.

I can't say for myself if this is true since I've never played it, but that's what I think he meant by challenging RPG.

the most experienced and best at putting their arguments forward in a clear and persuasive way. Always enjoy the way they articulate their views.

To be fair, they both have very clear biases as well. Brad will always look favorably on Destiny and Jeff has a tendency to trumpet his unpopular opinions to the point that thinking something is overrated means that it's total garbage (which I also have a tendency to do).

Nero18

That entire time was just weird. They may have played it, but I don't think they talked about it a lot because at that time the last thing they wanted to talk about was a grim and depressing game.

This. Weird saying that people gave them shit for not playing it, you would have to be really tone deaf to complain about them not playing it. I think Jeff played but then stopped because of reasons when it came out.

Because people care too much about having their opinion validated.

Nero18

To be fair, they both have very clear biases as well. Brad will always look favorably on Destiny and Jeff has a tendency to trumpet his unpopular opinions to the point that thinking something is overrated means that it's total garbage (which I also have a tendency to do).

They like the games they like.

erawsd

Not even Vinny is into it!

A couple months before GOTY that was not the case. Jeff and Brad had actually bashed the game on one of the podcast which set people off. Brad went on to finish it up and loved it, but Jeff stood his ground.

Nero18

A couple months before GOTY that was not the case. Jeff and Brad had actually bashed the game on one of the podcast which set people off. Brad went on to finish it up and loved it, but Jeff stood his ground.

Jeff loved the story but didn't care for the combat if i remember correctly. A lot of people felt the same way.

Shaping up to be the lowest-rated Zelda game ever. What a shame. I hope the main 2D Zelda team is hard at work on a followup to A Link Between Worlds.

2D Zelda is done, thank god. Hopefully Mario follows suit.

Anyway, shocked that the game is reviewing so low. The press usually inexplicably inflates the review scores of multiplayer-focused games.

I dont know about "loved" but yeah, that was the gist of it.

He really dug the story stuff based on what he played (iirc the opening in particular) but felt the gameplay wasn't great enough for him to continue.

Eh Jeff can pass most of the time (the main issue is that Jeff will champion or Dock a game the other might not have played or completed so it he gets an edge there) but Brad will have his moments of being utterly terrible (mainly in "fillbuster" mode). Hell his Destiny defense last year wasn't good but luckily for him The Wolfenstein guys didn't put up much of a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom