• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Mordin, Garrus, Tali (mileage may vary), Wrex, Grunt (but he's just small Wrex), Zaeed (despite his lack of lines).

Fantastic party. I love that Citadel DLC, it's my favourite piece of ME content 'cos it's like a sitcom episode almost

Nero18

Mordin, Garrus, Tali (mileage may vary), Wrex, Grunt (but he's just small Wrex), Zaeed (despite his lack of lines).

Fantastic party. I love that Citadel DLC, it's my favourite piece of ME content 'cos it's like a sitcom episode almost

Thane and Legion.

Jintor

Thane and Legion.

Forgot Legion. He's great.

Thane is also great but I am space racist and don't like green people

I also like Liara kind of but at some point she just kinda goes off the rails about the whole asari/prothean thing

oh yeah, javik's pretty funny.

Zaph

There are a few parts of the game that will only exist if played a certain way, and there is one whole gameplay scene that will not exist if something is done a different way.

My analogy has always been that everyone that plays is going to the same destination, but people will hit different bumps on the road

Which scene?

Also wow did episode 5 manage to hit every cliché on the way out. Start as you mean to go on I guess.

Yep, ME2 and 3 were barely RPGs.
I love RPG's and I really hoped ME 2/3 (awful ending aside) would influence more action-heavy games. Yeah, they're not RPG's in the traditional sense, but I absolutely think there's space in this industry for a more "involved shooter" genre, if that makes sense?

I love RPG's and I really hoped ME 2/3 (awful ending aside) would influence more action-heavy games. Yeah, they're not RPG's in the traditional sense, but I absolutely think there's space in this industry for a more "involved shooter" genre, if that makes sense?

But Binary Domain already exists. Why crowd a budding genre?

I'm just going to say it: Bioware's treatment of Miranda is worse than Konami's treatment of Quiet. And then there's Jack.

Nero18

I'm just going to say it: Bioware's treatment of Miranda is worse than Konami's treatment of Quiet. And then there's Jack.

What is this statement even? They at the very least gave Miranda backstory, personality and a reason to be who she is. She is an actual character. Quiet is a game mechanic with boobs.

Zocano

Ehhhhhhhh. Ehhhhhh. At least Miranda had faux self awareness and "agency" as far as a character can go. Quiet was just dumb.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 were incredibly disappointing to me but they were still fun decent games. I wish Drew Karpyshyn got to do his story though.

demidar

That's pretty much ME1 and I wanted its systems to be taken a step further. Have stat/skill points govern things like recoil and spread, not dice rolls to hit but then you actually miss at point blank range I'mlookingatyouFallout3. Have stat points that govern success in diplomacy, intimidation and interrogation, not this Renegade/Paragon collectathon bullshit where if you're not 100% in one direction you get locked out of everything.

The systems in ME1 should've been polished up, not disregarded and it contributed to my massive disappointment in the sequels which I felt were simply mediocre TPSes with some story (characters were fine I guess).

Jintor

honestly the camera tech is way pervier with Quiet. Also, Miranda talks a lot, which has the side effect of making her more of a character.

I mean, Quiet has backstory and does some stuff, but the fact that her gimmick is "doesn't speak" makes it pretty hard for her to, say, express opinions on things

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

binary domain is hell of dope

I keep meaning to replay it but I don't want to have to worry about the voice response choice thing for a second time.

Myggen

GB got Guitar Hero way late if Jeff was only able to install it yesterday, while other outlets have already reviewed it.

Jintor

binary domain is probably my surprise for that year

i was really not expecting for the story to be kind of cool and interesting in that game

Joeku

Now who's the badass biotic, bitch?

Both Miranda and Jack were represented far, far better in-game than Quiet. There are scant few camera shots that turn Miranda into a sex object, rather than scant few that don't in Quiet's case.

EDIT: And as far as the characterizations and backstory justifying them...it's not even worth getting into a thing about it. There's no fucking argument.

Zaph

tumblr_m6k2jyOjpt1qitl8jo1_500.gif

I don't think I've ever played another game that lost me so quickly in it's dreadful opening, but went on to charm the hell out of me and turn into a top 5 game I played that year.

Jintor

Even Jack kinda becomes a cool character in ME3 imho.

Also, this might just be some camera tech stuff, but Kojima's cameraman thing really accentuates how fucking pervy Quiet's whole deal is.

Also, I don't think either of those characters had as much lapdancing as MGSV. I mean, both of those characters can straight up bone the main character in their games and it's treated with more respect than MGSV, even Jack's one-night-stand thing

Joeku

Even Jack kinda becomes a cool character in ME3 imho.

Also, this might just be some camera tech stuff, but Kojima's cameraman thing really accentuates how fucking pervy Quiet's whole deal is.

Also, I don't think either of those characters had as much lapdancing as MGSV. I mean, both of those characters can straight up bone the main character in their games and it's treated with more respect than MGSV, even Jack's one-night-stand thing

Yeah, ME is a lot more honest. From moment one with Jack in ME2 I tried and hoped to get into a bit of a softer core, and I'm glad that I could. It proved out. And Miranda's dad basically admitted to creepily trying to make a 10/10, right?

And I don't want to talk about Quiet's nature due to spoilers, but shit, none of that even holds a candle to the way Bioware dropped the ball. Konami/Kojima rolled a gutter there.

I don't think I've ever played another game that lost me so quickly in it's dreadful opening, but went on to charm the hell out of me and turn into a top 5 game I played that year.

Yeah the opening made me stop playing for like a year and then I picked it back up like a few months ago and finished it and loved it, it's great overlooked game.

Jintor

Miranda's dad was Kojima. #followthemoney

*not really because he was also, like, white as fuck I think? like he was ultra space rich racist

What kills me about Mass Effect 2 is that, save for the sultrycam on Miranda and Jack's nonsensical nudity, it plays everything entirely straight. Which is quite like MGSV, except that Quiet's a doll, not a character, and MGS has historically had its creepy stuff in every game. (MGSV just amped it up to 11)

What I mean is, Bioware should've known better. Far better.

The Big Bo stuff in the QL was the only reason I ever wanted to play it. Really glad I did, because it's so much more than just a creaky squad-based cover-shooter. I never used the voice stuff, but the intent behind it was really cool. And the whole friendship system and ending stuff are great.

It's a real gem of a game, betraying all expectations.

neshcom

Banned
Y'all, don't sleep on Life is Strange for top 10 this year. It's not the biggest undertaking mechanically (or necessarily narratively), but it is incredibly emotional and no game has ever made me twist like the choices in LIS.

Xater

I only wish I hadn't played on the highest difficulty, made bosses way too tanky.

That game felt fine on the standard difficulty. Still had some good challenging parts.

Y'all, don't sleep on Life is Strange for top 10 this year. It's not the biggest undertaking mechanically (or necessarily narratively), but it is incredibly emotional and no game has ever made me twist like the choices in LIS.

I really don't care for it. It's just melodramatic bullshit in the Telltale framework with the added mechanic of time travel. I am so over these kind of games. I bought GoT and have barely touched it because I really can't deal with it anymore.

Jintor

What kills me about Mass Effect 2 is that, save for the sultrycam on Miranda and Jack's nonsensical nudity, it plays everything entirely straight. Which is quite like MGSV, except that Quiet's a doll, not a character, and MGS has historically had its creepy stuff in every game. (MGSV just amped it up to 11)

What I mean is, Bioware should've known better. Far better.

It's why the Citadel DLC is so damn good.

Just a good solid 1-2 hours of cheesy bullshit and hanging out with your bros and also fighting
an evil clone

Joeku

Let's see if GBeast finishes it and then we'll talk. For me, it's pretty much #1 with a bullet right now.

erawsd

There are a few parts of the game that will only exist if played a certain way, and there is one whole gameplay scene that will not exist if something is done a different way.

My analogy has always been that everyone that plays is going to the same destination, but people will hit different bumps on the road

Ah, I see. I want to play it eventually, so I was wondering how much im spoiling by watching the beastcast.

SPCTRE

I'm starting to get GOTY anxiety.

I hardly have played any of TW3, Fallout 4 is about to hit, fuck fuck fuck

How do I hold all these 100-hour-mark games?

hamchan

I'm starting to get GOTY anxiety.

I hardly have played any of TW3, Fallout 4 is about to hit, fuck fuck fuck

How do I hold all these 100-hour-mark games?

If you're not a journo who has to finish all these games before the end of the year I wouldn't worry about it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Quiet is a decent premise for a character that I cannot imagine being executed on more poorly.

Is she? I just "unlocked" her in the game, is there any character development later on? So far she is just a less usefull D-Dog.
It's always kinda funny to me when they ask at the start of the mission "So, you wanna take the dog, the horse, the robot or the woman with you this time?"

Jintor

as a second operator she's really sick. Having all the enemies distracted trying to flush out an enemy is actually surprisingly helpful for stealth (discounting the times enemies run around a corner into your face)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom