• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #17 | Baby Dan Wyckert

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guilt trip method in full effect.

I honestly don't care about winners or losers or validation, but I do care about getting robust, knowledgeable discussion from the group during their end of the year podcasts. I don't want to hear early game hangups or preconceived notions in an annual retrospective, I want a deep dive into the pros and cons of a game in its entirety. When everyone's informed it brings out the best from the folks in the room, everyone raises their debate game and the quality of the discussion is elevated whether it's positive or negative.

A lot of them have put quite a few hours into The Witcher though. At least Brad and Dan have anyway. You don't need to finish that game to get an informed opinion on it.

Myggen

The guilt trip method in full effect.

I honestly don't care about winners or losers or validation, but I do care about getting robust, knowledgeable discussion from the group during their end of the year podcasts. I don't want to hear early game hangups or preconceived notions in an annual retrospective, I want a deep dive into the pros and cons of a game in its entirety. When everyone's informed it brings out the best from the folks in the room, everyone raises their debate game and the quality of the discussion is elevated whether it's positive or negative.

Sure, but if a game doesn't grab you it doesn't grab you. Especially a 40++++ hours game like The Witcher 3. Playing through something like Undertale so you can discuss it on a GOTY podcast I can totally see and that's why they have that Google Doc, but if you're forcing yourself to play through a huge open world game just to be able to discuss it you'll end up actively hating the game.

Myggen

Kinda breathed a sign of relief this wasn't about a GB mailbag http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1127622

0118_heo1l.gif

Man...

megalowho

Sure, but if a game doesn't grab you it doesn't grab you. Especially a 40++++ hours game like The Witcher 3. Playing through something like Undertale so you can discuss it on a GOTY podcast I can totally see and that's why they have that Google Doc, but if you're forcing yourself to play through a huge open world game just to be able to discuss it you'll end up actively hating the game.
That's understandable for sure, and in a year full of lengthy epics not all will get the same shake. I expect Fallout 4 to fall under that umbrella as well. More just my opinion on what makes a good game of the year discussion going by previous years.

Also a difference between not forcing yourself to play something you're over with and not forcing yourself to play something out of your comfort zone with an open mind. The former I get and can still lead to meaningful discussion.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The 'I'm not going to play this game because you keep telling me to play it!' is just as bad as the 'everyone telling me to play the game'

Nero18

Weird as it may seem, CDPR promised too many improvements and they gave people a reason to wait. You cant blame a dev for making improvements but at some point things like "how the character moves" shouldn't feel like an obstacle day one.

Weird as it may seem, CDPR promised too many improvements and they gave people a reason to wait. You cant blame a dev for making improvements but at some point things like "how the character moves" shouldn't feel like an obstacle day one.

well it took them over a year and some console money to get everything in 2 ironed out so

I guess maybe it was less of a given for people who hadn't been following their pc releases up to that point.

Myggen

The 'I'm not going to play this game because you keep telling me to play it!' is just as bad as the 'everyone telling me to play the game'

In regards to Witcher 3 they didn't really say that. Dan and Brad just said that it doesn't help their motivation if you yell at them on Twitter about playing a game. In general it's a kind of silly complaint, but it didn't exactly seem like something that made them not play a game, just something that didn't motivate them the way people who send those messages think it does. If I had 50k+ Twitter followers and a game's fanbase was being extra obnoxious I could see that affecting my willingness to try a game if I was on the fence, even though it shouldn't.

That will never happen, GB still thanks people even when they get actual garbage.

I'm sure once Greg does an episode of Oreo Oration of those particular Oreos, he will thank the person, as he does any time someone sends him Oreos to try. It seems the person is complaining that Greg didn't thank him immediately. When someone mails something to Giant Bomb, they don't typically reply to the sender either, but do acknowledge them in the Mailbag in which the package is featured.

killroy87

So Mary's really doing a thing that has no attachment to Gamespot?

I feel like that's odd, especially combined with Danny's streaming of Fallout and the like, but then I think about all of Dan's Periscopes and shit.

Is it strange? It is worrisome?

Tell me what to think!

Jobs aren't prisons, assuming there's no conflict of interest you're allowed to do other work on the side (or you should be, at least). Gamespot clearly has no interest in this kind of coverage, and saw nothing wrong with it.

Patryn

I'm worried you're not thinking hard enough about the top 10 game of the year list for giant bomb.

Obviously.

Jobs aren't prisons, assuming there's no conflict of interest you're allowed to do other work on the side (or you should be, at least). Gamespot clearly has no interest in this kind of coverage, and saw nothing wrong with it.

I'm just going a little crazy and attempting to read too much into this, especially given how Gamespot has been tightening the belt lately.

Nero18

well it took them over a year and some console money to get everything in 2 ironed out so

I guess maybe it was less of a given for people who hadn't been following their pc releases up to that point.

In my mind big difference between everything and things like movement. The movement and constant dips in framerate led to me putting the game aside for a while. Just couldn't handle it. Most other things i could have dealt with.

Myggen

I'm just going a little crazy and attempting to read too much into this, especially given how Gamespot has been tightening the belt lately.

I can totally understand Gamespot personalities wanting to branch out a bit. Danny has talked about how GS is nowhere near doing a podcast because the higher ups don't see the value in it with the kind of audience they have (they're probably correct there), which is probably partly why Danny is doing so much stuff over at GB. I imagine there's other similar restrictions, GS is a much more focused site than GB.

I put Witcher 3 in the same bucket as all those other weird European games Europeans love like Dizzy, so I haven't really been paying attention to it.

I feel like that's odd, especially combined with Danny's streaming of Fallout and the like, but then I think about all of Dan's Periscopes and shit.

Tell me what to think!

It's fucking smart on their part. The Gamespot audience does not give a shit about any of the actual people who work there, so the prudent person would seek outside stuff to grow their brand (ugh) in order to have something for when Gamespot collapses.

Nero18

Also Jeff getting fired from Gamespot taught people that they shouldn´t attach their names 100% to any other entity. In case you get fired, you can at least cash in something.

I can totally understand Gamespot personalities wanting to branch out a bit. Danny has talked about how GS is nowhere near doing a podcast because the higher ups don't see the value in it with the kind of audience they have (they're probably correct there), which is probably partly why Danny is doing so much stuff over at GB. I imagine there's other similar restrictions, GS is a much more focused site than GB.

if they were smart, they would probably cross-post some of Danny's long(ish)-form videos on GB since they'd probably get more views and love over there.

I wouldn't want the job of having to cater to GS's readership (i.e. drive-by googlers)

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
witcher 2 and witcher 3 were fine from day 1 for me

Also, I loved the first two games and books, and definitely love the wild hunt, but even I stopped playing it a few months back and still haven't gone back to it. I had already put close to a hundred hours into it by that point though.

mattp

I put Witcher 3 in the same bucket as all those other weird European games Europeans love like Dizzy, so I haven't really been paying attention to it.

It's fucking smart on their part. The Gamespot audience does not give a shit about any of the actual people who work there, so the prudent person would seek outside stuff to grow their brand (ugh) in order to have something for when Gamespot collapses.

yeah i agree with this
also, i dont see how this really does anything but benefit gamespot. the same way patrick doing all his streaming stuff benefits kotaku
if mary builds up a fanbase, they're gonna check out gamespot for her stuff

Myggen

if they were smart, they would probably cross-post some of Danny's long(ish)-form videos on GB since they'd probably get more views and love over there.

I wouldn't want the job of having to cater to GS's readership (i.e. drive-by googlers)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind something like The Point getting posted on GB too.

But that slippery slope though, SOON IT WOULD MEAN THE END OF GIANT BOMB AND A MERGER WITH GAMESPOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Think about that the next time you watch you animes, stump.

Zaph

You're not crazy, lots of other companies would absolutely have issue with a full-time employee making competing content elsewhere, but Gamespot/CBSi seem to be encouraging their editors/producers to get themselves out there.

I'm sure Danny (or maybe Jeff?) mentioned it a couple years back in the Dear Dwyery or Jartime - Youtube and internet personalities etc are so important in this industry now, and the big sites need to stay relevant, so they're not afraid to host and do crossovers like they did with the Kinda Funny crew. Also, if one of Gamespot's personalities do make it big, they're not as likely to straight leave like Greg did if they're not as restricted.

killroy87

Yeah, I wouldn't mind something like The Point getting posted on GB too.

But that slippery slope though, SOON IT WOULD MEAN THE END OF GIANT BOMB AND A MERGER WITH GAMESPOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Think about that the next time you watch you animes, stump.

I mean this 100% seriously: Nothing would surprise me less.

Megasoum

Banned
You know you're spending too much money when you get 3 separate shipping notifications within 2 minutes hahaha.

Gotta love that crazy deal.. That new XB1 controller (not the elite one) WITH a PC Wireless Adapter for 30$CDN (that's like 20USD)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Tell me what to think!
My guess:
People working for more traditional sites want to actually get out there. They see all these Youtubers and streamers and know how important it is to have people know you. I think Patrick mentioned before that having a following of your own helps a lot in that line of work. Gamespot on the other hand can't really be against it. They want their employees to be as popular as possible. And (for some weird reason) stuff like that doesn't actually exist on Gamespot itself, so they can't actually do it over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom